Most Posh of the Home Counties Watch

Timon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Of all the 6 Home Counties--Kent, Surrey, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire and Essex--which one, do you think, is the most posh? Or at least which of them has the reputation for being the poshest and home to more wealthy people?
Eveiebaby
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surrey the poshest. Essex got the least reputation for being posh although I'm pretty sure there are a lot of affluent people there, they just appear to spend their money in tasteles ways. I think your list is incomplete though. Where's bedfordshire, hampshire and sussex?

Bedfordshire is a real dive!
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surrey certainly has the richest people. I don't know whether that makes it the most posh or not. It's more bankers and celebrities than Lords and Earls etc. Essex would definitely be least posh.
Steezy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surrey has a lot of footballers and ex-musicians. It also has Croydon, so I'm pretty sure it's not the poshest. Buckinghampshire??
st_23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Essex of course
sydney_watts
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Surrey, is without question, the poshest of the Home Counties. Bucks is all new money, Berks has spots, but is more middle income commuters than old money. Kent has 2 or 3 nice areas, the rest is garbage blanc. Same goes for Herts. Essex should not even be in this mix.
al-Shams
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Surrey generally.

Bucks probably has the most expensive places specifically inside it such as GC and Beaconsfield, but is more mixed and you get utterly garbage parts of it as well (sort of like London)
Drunken Bard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say Berkshire

Only because I can say from experience living in North Surrey, the people aren't the most pleasant.
sydney_watts
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bucks and Berks both have far more residents from 'international' money backgrounds - most of which is newly acquired. And yes, Surrey has its share of brash, nouveau rich types swaggering around St George's Hill and Cobham as well; however, I think you'll find it is populated by people from more genteel, shall we say 'less cosmopolitan' backgrounds than Buckinghamshire and Berkshire. To me, Surrey certainly feels the most 'English' and more inclined toward old establishment types than any of the other wealthier Home Counties.
Saturnine.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Steezy)
Surrey has a lot of footballers and ex-musicians. It also has Croydon, so I'm pretty sure it's not the poshest. Buckinghampshire??
Croydon is in London.
Dinasaurus
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Essex is posh?!
JusLakJelInit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hants and Sussex imo.
jawsontheflooor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saturnine.)
Croydon is in London.
Hmm yes so I say although I live in Croydon and my postcode is actually Surrey so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Greenlaner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dinasaurus)
Essex is posh?!
Small pockets are. Most of the wealth here though is nouveau riche city workers, brash and obnoxious TOWIE types, and drug dealers. Generally though Essex is pretty averagely middle class, South Essex is quite impovished, North and East Essex are very rural. The East (where I come from) is mostly working and lower middle class, and we tend not to get the chavvy/TOWIE types around here too, which is a plus.
Use Err Name
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
tbf there are some pretty posh parts of Essex. Chigwell & Buckhurst Hill come to mind
get schlonged m8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Surrey is the poshest in terms of culture.

There is loads of money in Bucks, but culturally it's more nouveau riche
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%