Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you tell Muslim parents you are gay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    So, did the man tell her he was Asexual?
    And there is usually a gap of time between marrying someone and meeting someone, in which case he could tell her then.

Unless I'm mistaken, and what happens really is a blind marriage.

I wasn't encouraging two timing, which is why I added the 'or' into the post.
    Well not being the OP I cant really say what the situation is in his case but in the case of my friend it was an arranged marriage organised by a matchmaker, researched by her parents etc. She gets to meet the guy 3 or 4 times for a couple of hours and then they are engaged and married a few months later. They arent allowed to touch each other let alone have sex before they are married so this guy just played along with it all and when three weeks after they were married they still hadnt had sex (he made excuses) and he kept on disappearing coz he was sleeping with another guy, she realised there must be something wrong and then his mum actually realised he must be gay. Its horrific but it happens in extreme religious circles where they have become completely obsessed with preventing sex before marriage so have set in place rules that men may not even look at women unless they are married.
    I understand that you wouldnt have thought things like that could happen but they can and do happen, they are just kept a secret even within the communities themselves. OP needs to be truthful with his parents before its too late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Another troll I suspect, in an attempt to further desensitize Muslims to this filth.

If I were Muslim parent, I'd disown you if you told me. What's love got to do with it? Love is actually everything but love of the Creator is greater than love for your child (or love for anything in fact). Pleasing Allah > than you satisfying your whims-- you would understand this but you're not Muslim hence it doesn't register. You have given in to your weakness and one day you will regret it. I just hope it's not too late.

To Muslims that suffer from this problem. Yes you may have these urges naturally and you can't do much about them, but this is your test. You need to have patience. You need to abstain. Do dhikr, do prayer. Be in constance remembrance of Allah. You shouldn't constantly think about yourself. This is a me-me world, where the self comes before everything but in Islam Allah should come before your desires as He created you and He knows what is best for you (even if you don't).
    Yes, hide behind anon you bigoted coward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbeeprichie)
    Wearing body armour?
    HAHA!!! I'm seriously having an asthma laugh! Despite it though, it's TRUE!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aminaubah)
    They haven't realised, wow. You are in a very difficult situation. It might take them time to get over it, but lets face it, they can't hate you forever. Btw, you do realise like that 'muslim' and 'gay' are an oxymoron? :K:
    'Muslim' and 'gay' not need be oxymorons: there are many homosexual muslims who reconcile these two elements of their identities, and perhaps they can offer more support than this board?

Do you know about Al- Jannah? http://www.al-jannah.co.uk/

or just google gay muslim organisation / organization, and you'll come up with plenty. Good luck! rabbina ma'aak

ReputationRep:
    You don't.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Because it's not politically correct?
    I would never harm a gay person in any way, not verbally either (well not personally anyway, I can talk in general terms as I have on this forum).

In Islam homosexuality is wrong. Disagree all you like, that's categorical. It's not a crime to believe this. So I gave my two cents to Muslims reading and secondly an idea for the OP of how his parents may view this dilemma.
    I'll respect your opinion but I will by no means agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel9)
    Do you whine about Islamophobia,
    No, actually. Why do you ask?

(Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    You don't.
    Lol just what I thought

ReputationRep:
    Another troll I suspect, in an attempt to further desensitize Muslims to this filth.

If I were Muslim parent, I'd disown you if you told me. What's love got to do with it? Love is actually everything but love of the Creator is greater than love for your child (or love for anything in fact). Pleasing Allah > than you satisfying your whims-- you would understand this but you're not Muslim hence it doesn't register. You have given in to your weakness and one day you will regret it. I just hope it's not too late.

To Muslims that suffer from this problem. Yes you may have these urges naturally and you can't do much about them, but this is your test. You need to have patience. You need to abstain. Do dhikr, do prayer. Be in constance remembrance of Allah. You shouldn't constantly think about yourself. This is a me-me world, where the self comes before everything but in Islam Allah should come before your desires as He created you and He knows what is best for you (even if you don't).

Does it ever cross your mind that perhaps Allah actually meant for this person to be gay rather than 'testing' them?

Different cultures and mindsets and all that, but I just can't get my head around you can alienate a member of your own flesh and blood for something that is really quite trivial. Perhaps Allah actually wants you to care for your children no matter what? It's the same with Christianity, Scientology etc.

ReputationRep:

you are ****ed up in the head, man.

ReputationRep:
    Coming from a Muslim family myself, my advice would be don't tell them anything and when you're older and financially independent then if you still feel the need to tell them then do so

It's much better that you don't say anything because the repercussions of you coming out would be ****ing awful

ReputationRep:
    ...did you just necro a four year old thread?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gay and my parents are strict muslims and want me to get married to a muslim girl. They are extremely homophobic. I do not know what to do.
    I mean I'm 16 and and I'm a muslim and I'm gay so i do know what your going through and tbh i found out by the time i was 14 i was gay and my other mates would see girls and say they're fit and fire but honestly that didn't interest me and then i realised i don't find girls attractive and then i got told at mosque that being gay wasn't haraam but acting on being gay is an awful deed as your just listening to the devils whispers. So i started praying to God asking for him to change him stop making me gay i would always pray and read the quran but nothing happened and 2 years later I've just realised this is who i am and i cant change myself you just gotta wait and when your older and you've moved out of your parents then tell them

ReputationRep:
    I'm gay; and since you come from a Muslim family don't make the mistake of telling them as of yet. But remember; this is your life; don't allow yourself to get into an arranged marriage because your life will be ruined. You deserve to be happy and be who you are :-). When you feel right; come out first to people close to you who are likely to accept you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.