Turn on thread page Beta

Taking anti-inflammatories for dodgy ankle/foot? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I sprained my ankle and fractured a few bones in my foot over Xmas (messed it up good!) and while the bones have healed, it can still be sore 3 months later. It's also bigger than the other foot though the swelling has come down to what I think may be the permanent size now But it does swell up a little more when I go to the gym so I've started taking ibuprofen. I noticed my toes rubbing off the top of my trainer yesterday. Is there a problem with taking anti-inflammatories? I don't put that much pressure on my ankle, no rowing or jogging that might put too much of an impact on it.

Really I'm only working on my balance with the foot as I have absolutely none right now. My physio said I didn't need to see him again in February.

ReputationRep:
    i personally advise against taking pain killers before you do exercise. you're much more likely to push your body slightly too far and just end up damaging it further.

you can always go book an appointment with your physio and see him again, especially as its still giving you issues. i don't think he should have stopped seeing you until your body was back working properly

ReputationRep:
    Taking anti-inflamatories won't harm you but putting pressure on the ankle will. I suggest staying off it as much as possible until it heals more. Then, maybe go back to a little bit of physical therapy but don't overdo it. You run the risk of re-injuring yourself if you keep using it and causing it to swell.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't thought I was doing much on it but I must be I'm mostly just trying to balance on a bosu ball and I turn it upside down and stand on it with 'the' foot - my physio told me that spreads out the bone if you 'wobble' round on it. God, it's taking ages to get back to normal!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    i personally advise against taking pain killers before you do exercise. you're much more likely to push your body slightly too far and just end up damaging it further.

you can always go book an appointment with your physio and see him again, especially as its still giving you issues. i don't think he should have stopped seeing you until your body was back working properly
    I can't really see the same one again as he's in Ireland - I got trapped there by my foot!!

I don't take painkillers before the gym, it's only after. I've only done it the last 2 times I've been to gym, then I have a day off. I'd be wary of putting pressure on it anyway, painkillers or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I can't really see the same one again as he's in Ireland - I got trapped there by my foot!!

I don't take painkillers before the gym, it's only after. I've only done it the last 2 times I've been to gym, then I have a day off. I'd be wary of putting pressure on it anyway, painkillers or not.
    just see another one near you then?

taking them afterwards is fine, RICE is something else you could do which will help with the swelling and reduce damage. you sound like you're taking it pretty easy at the moment, just perhaps ease off a bit more till the swelling comes down.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - I only started taking them when I noticed the swelling, I was hoping not to. I found the hot water to ice water really good last month, it came down a lot in a few days. I couldn't even see my ankle bone after 2 months!? It's at least the right shape now lol

ReputationRep:
    I sprained my ankle pretty badly 5/6 months ago and am only just getting back into exercise. My physio said dont do anything strenuous (like running) until you can hop on the ankle without pain. Also if there is any pain, stop immediately.
    Also my ankle is still pretty swollen, apparently its normal :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    I sprained my ankle pretty badly 5/6 months ago and am only just getting back into exercise. My physio said dont do anything strenuous (like running) until you can hop on the ankle without pain. Also if there is any pain, stop immediately.
    Also my ankle is still pretty swollen, apparently its normal :/
    Oh that's giving me some hope! My physio said the same, he basically said jump on it every day until you can jump on that foot on its own. I thought it was taking ages to recover but I guess it's OK if it normally takes that long.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.