Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Let's make up a fictional character, and you tell me which college at Oxford you bet she aspires to join. The winner gets a prize.

Alright, here is our person, we'll call her Phillipa Cavendish-Jones for sake of over generalisation.

Phillipa is:

-plans to study art history or possibly English
    -She was previously educated at an all-girls private boarding school. Let's say Benenden, Wycombe Abbey or St. Swithun's.
    -She comes from an old wealthy bluestocking London family with some aristocratic connections. By the way, this does not make her family super rich, just well off.
    -Her family were all high-church Anglicans
    -Daddy and Mummy vote Tory
    -She loves her horse and all equesterian events

Alright, now if you had to bet a large sum of money, which college here at Oxford do you believe Phillipa would desperately wish to get into as her first choice? Which of the colleges would she be most at home with other students from similar backgrounds?

ReputationRep:
    Er, what is the point of this, exactly? If you want over-generalised assumptions, a quick search about 'prestigious colleges' should find them for you...

ReputationRep:
    The point of all this 'over generalisation' on my part is I am writing a piece of fiction, and I need some of the material within this work to make perfectly good sense to someone who is familiar with the social life of Oxford University. Nothing else, honest! I am not so sure a google search of "prestigious colleges" + "Oxford" would turn up with anythin worthwhile. I'd rather here from Oxford students and alumni themselves. Thanks.

You know there's an anonymous feature, right? You don't need to make up some bull**** 'imaginary' person.

ReputationRep:
    Magdalen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timon)
    The point of all this 'over generalisation' on my part is I am writing a piece of fiction, and I need some of the material within this work to make perfectly good sense to someone who is familiar with the social life of Oxford University. Nothing else, honest! I am not so sure a google search of "prestigious colleges" + "Oxford" would turn up with anythin worthwhile. I'd rather here from Oxford students and alumni themselves. Thanks.
    Fine then. Let's generalise.

Christ Church.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    Magdalen/Christ Church

ReputationRep:
    I feel Magdalen is being impugned since it's only being named by people who are not actually Oxford students and never have been.

I would say Christchurch or Oriel, but it's a silly question based on generalisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    I feel Magdalen is being impugned since it's only being named by people who are not actually Oxford students and never have been.

I would say Christchurch or Oriel, but it's a silly question based on generalisations.
    I agree with you, but my main reason for not suggesting Magdalen would be that it doesn't admit students for History of Art ... so in the spirit of over-generalisation I think Phillipa might choose Christ Church or St John's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)

I'd say Magdalen or Christchurch on the basis of postcard prestige and grandeur. No-one really knows Oriel at all, and we don't do History of Art. Or, as my tutor describes it, the degree for people who want to study their family's art collections.

Edit: Magdalen doesn't offer History of Art either? Probably Christchurch or Worcester then.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think overgeneralisations aren't very helpful but if we want to go back to old stereotypes, I'd say Magdalen, Christ Church or Trinity.

No hating on Woosta, peeps :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Phillipa is such a rah!

ReputationRep:
    If this a work of fiction then might I suggest Shrewsbury College. It was a women's college but has almost certainly gone mixed by now. It has remarkable similarities to Somerville but is located on Holywell Street.

You can read an account of Shrewsbury in the 30s in Dorothy L Sayers' Gaudy Night

This is a list of other colleges that might fit your bill:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...xford_colleges
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    If this a work of fiction then might I suggest Shrewsbury College. It was a women's college but has almost certainly gone mixed by now. It has remarkable similarities to Somerville but is located on Holywell Street.

You can read an account of Shrewsbury in the 30s in Dorothy L Sayers' Gaudy Night

This is a list of other colleges that might fit your bill:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...xford_colleges

:rofl:

What a shame I've already repped you today :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Balliol

ReputationRep:
    Trinity doesn't offer History of Art either. Apart from that, she would fit in.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm not feeling the History of Art love here Is it really that rah? Woosta only takes one a year and I lived the one in my year: she was lovely and not a rah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    Balliol
    Hehe came to my mind first too lol.

Err Christ Church probs.. her Tory-voting parents would approve. :top2:

ReputationRep:
    Confused by some of the weird answers (Balliol?! :confused:)

Christ Church, St. John's or Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to think of any circumstances under which I would read a book with someone in it who was that much of a ****er

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.