Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Just give me a sec, I'm going to see if I can get a hold of a few Imperial Maths students for you, there don't appear to be many on this site for some reason.
    If you could, that'd be great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    If you could, that'd be great!
    No problem, you've helped me out before so I'll do my best to help you.

You have until May to decide on Firm/insurance anyway (accommodation apps don't start until then) so don't get too anxious.

Would it be possible for you to visit either of these places? Especially London, you could sway your parents into taking you to London for a day or weekend trip, hopefully it wouldn't cost too much. You could arrange to look around the uni, student halls, just the city.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Warwick maths nd chose imperial over warwick.. Mainly because i hate london and preferred course in warwick... There is no doubt that both of them are one of the best unis in the UK for maths and imperial is probably slightly better in terms of reputation as a uni. Social life etc probably could be better in London (apparently) as you have more places to go to compared to warwick where it is kinda middle of nowhere... I personally didnt mind it too much cos I hate clubbing etc etc and you can always go to birmingham, cov and leamington if you wanted to during weekends or something...

I think imperial focuses on applied maths ( not 100% sure ) whilst warwick gives you A LOT of choice even in the first year which is what i liked about warwick..

London is more expensive to live in so bear that in mind as well...

For me sports was one of the another reason i chose warwick cos u can't really play sports in london (well not at casual level anyways)

lecture/ assignment wise... (ofcourse I know just about warwick) 1st year is pretty tough in that sense be cause you do have quite a few contact hours a week lecture wise probably about 15-20 depending on how many modules you are taking but you also have tutorial, supervision, seminar and support classes as well... im pretty sure lectures are always around an hour in every uni...

Tutors wise, it really depends who you get so cant really comment... my tutor last year was pretty bad and this year pretty gd....

hmm prob that's about it really....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ResearchCalTch)
    Imperial every time though I may be biased as a former Imperial Phys. undergrad. I can PM you about my experiences and the general student life there if you want. Warwick was also one of my choices back then but the Open Day completely killed it for me. Coventry + stuffy atmosphere = less kudos. Shame!
    You can PM me about it if you wish
    I've got a conditional for Physics at Imperial and I'm quite confused... I cannot tell whether it is worth leaving Italy (I'd have to spend a loooot of money )

ReputationRep:
    OP, what did you end up choosing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anastasia_x)
    OP, what did you end up choosing?
    Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick.
    Me too, but it was a VERY hard decision between the two. I guess the good thing is, I won't be too disappointed if I don't make my STEP offer as Imperial is my insurance.

ReputationRep:
    did you manage to get into warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gary_adamson)
    did you manage to get into warwick?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame you didn't join Imperial (even though I'm no longer there, I have a strange loyalty towards it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    It's a shame you didn't join Imperial (even though I'm no longer there, I have a strange loyalty towards it!)
    It was a decision that was made after a lot of time was put into some very careful consideration of both Universities/courses. (At least, as far as I can go without actually being on the course, in my opinion.)

I think I'll be better off at Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    I was looking for the positives about Imperial, rather than the negatives...
    Ask ttoby. He's a 3rd/2nd year at Warwick, he's been extremely helpful to me about not only math question but questions about the math department.

ReputationRep:
    It was a decision that was made after a lot of time was put into some very careful consideration of both Universities/courses. (At least, as far as I can go without actually being on the course, in my opinion.)

Great decision! :top::top::top:

ReputationRep:

gna reapply to cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
    Ask ttoby. He's a 3rd/2nd year at Warwick, he's been extremely helpful to me about not only math question but questions about the math department.
    I've been through it already! I have my place there for this October.
    (Original post by Mr. Roxas)
    Great decision! :top::top::top:
    Cheers!
    (Original post by slylion1)
    gna reapply to cambridge?
    Not sure it's worth the effort. I got 1,2 in STEP II and III this year so it would be a bit risky anyways considering I haven't met their offer technically.

That said, I was 2 marks and 5 marks off S,1 in II and III so the grades probably wouldn't be the deciding factor.

ReputationRep:
    I've been through it already! I have my place there for this October.
    Oh sorry! Well done! I think you made the right choice, I really hope I get in to.

ReputationRep:

You gotta do what's right for you. I rejected Cambridge to go to Imperial and it was the best decision I made in my life I won't pretend it's for everyone though

ReputationRep:
    i shall see you guys at Warwick then. your welcome to add me on FB Gary Adamson.

ReputationRep:

Not sure it's worth the effort. I got 1,2 in STEP II and III this year so it would be a bit risky anyways considering I haven't met their offer technically.

That said, I was 2 marks and 5 marks off S,1 in II and III so the grades probably wouldn't be the deciding factor.
    fair enough. now ur out of school you will see that COWI really is the top tier.

hope you do well and get that high 1st class.

ReputationRep:
    Both are 3-4 years of Hell

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.