Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just started using a Gillette fusion gamer (manual) and it's quite nice, although I am always tempted by the thought of getting a straight (cutthroat) razor :devil:. I'll probably go for it when I'm tired of this one.

ReputationRep:
    Cheapo electric one from Boots. Takes 30 seconds, unlike wet shaving.

ReputationRep:
    same as the OP....

although I really want an electric one.....

ReputationRep:
    I hate being clean shaven so I use this, it's great. I've had a more expensive one before but it was rubbish. I find most electric shavers these days try and be way more complicated than an electric shaver needs to be, probably to justify the high prices they sell them at. The electric shaver I currently have is very simple with no fiddly parts to use, so I'm hopeful it will last a long time.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to trim. But when I do shave I use Mach 3!

ReputationRep:

Fusion. Took me a while to convert from Mach 3, though...

Also, I've recently discovered (by accident, really) that "proper", expensive shaving balms / lotions / potions are all a load of balls! Srsly. Try this:

1. Wash face. Put hair conditioner on face and leave it while you shower. Wash it off at the END of the shower.
    2. Get out of shower, shave.
    3. Apply liberal amounts of Johnsons Baby Lotion (it comes in a cute baby-pink bottle ) to rehydrate the skin.

Smoothest shave you'll ever have, and never ANY irritation afterwards. I'm going to market it for £14.99. Except, now I've told everyone... oh nooooooooo...

ReputationRep:
    I've got two Merkur razors, 34c and 38c, the 34c is short handle so probably easier to control around the face, the 38c is a good multi purpose razor. For shaving quality it is streets ahead of the Gillette and Wilkinson ones. My skin is a lot healthier with this as well, I could never shave every day with the multiblade razors because my skin got razor burn but I can do every day no problems with a Merkur. Using a good shaving soap and a brush is also important rather than the cheap foam you get in a can.

ReputationRep:
    I don't..

ReputationRep:
    I've gone electric - so much less hassle, and I quite like having stubble.

ReputationRep:
    Bic. Don't need any of this 'Even closer' rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    Fusion. Took me a while to convert from Mach 3, though...

Also, I've recently discovered (by accident, really) that "proper", expensive shaving balms / lotions / potions are all a load of balls! Srsly. Try this:

1. Wash face. Put hair conditioner on face and leave it while you shower. Wash it off at the END of the shower.
    2. Get out of shower, shave.
    3. Apply liberal amounts of Johnsons Baby Lotion (it comes in a cute baby-pink bottle ) to rehydrate the skin.
    Yeh a lot of them are gimmicks. You prob had good results as after a shower the pores have opened and it's considered the best time to shave although not sure about the hair conditioner.

Also a good tip is to make sure you DRY YOUR BLADE after use to prolong the life of it most of the wear and tear is from the water drying up on the blade causing bobbles and such.

Gillette Fusion, I don't use the shaving creams though just do it in shower and it is better than with the cream I find

ReputationRep:
    Gillette fusion powerglide new 1

ReputationRep:
    I have used a safety razor for over a year now, the blades are dirt cheap and it's as good as a modern blade if you use the right technique.

ReputationRep:
    Gillette fusion...only clean shave when i have a hair cut, i try to avoid it as my skin is VERY sensitive and i have thick hair growth around the moustache and goatee area. I must lather up with gillette hydra gel foam stuff, and perform one pass shaving with the direction of hair growth, rinse, lather up again, then perform second pass but against direction of hair growth. The second pass is for a clean look and it absolutely kills! I've been looking for products which reduce nicks, cuts, bumps but im beginning to suspect that its due to my individual beard hairs being thick and tough. Most of my friends and family members think i must be shaving wrong, but once i shave infront of them, and blood oozes from my chin/neck and a few blobs on the tash they are glad not to have thick stubble.
    Electric shavers are useless, the blades go after a while, the cut is NOT and will NEVER be smooth. Always rough patches on the face.
    Shaving the cheeks and jawline isnt so bad, less growth there.

ReputationRep:
    I can't even remember what its called. I shave Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, then grow a little weekend stubble.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.