Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by twelve)
    Doesn't seem necessary for GCSE, but I guess you'll have a walk in the park when you don't need to do any more revision when it comes to exams next year. There's no need to let yourself do too much though.

I guess you want to do medicine(from your name), so remember they want well rounded people - make sure you have enough time to have a life. At this age especially, thats pretty importnat.
    Yeah, i agree.

ReputationRep:
    I do a decent degree, and still do less extra work than you ! But its good that you are keen- and so long as you are managing to still have a social life then there is no reason why you shouuldn't carry on. some people are harder workers than others, some need to work harder as they are less smart too (not saying that this is you by the way)

ReputationRep:
    It looks great that you are going over everything after the lesson, I mean I don't even do that and I'm in A-level. However, don't push yourself too much or you will just burn out. Personally, I don't see how anyone, even the most committed person would do that every night. As long as it isn't making you too stressed, maybe you enjoy it then you will probably do amazing at GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    You seem like the person I was trying to be when I started my GCSE's. I was also keen on doing medicine and wanted to get perfect GCSE grades to get into Oxbridge.

In the end I got lazy, complacent, and didn't stick to the 'work schedule' I had made. In the end it worked out alright and I got very good GCSE's anyway. Not 'Oxbridge good', but still better than the average hopeful medic. What you are doing is commendable, but don't be afraid to loosen up abit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor)
    Thanks for the advice. By the 'A Level work', what exactly do you mean? Reading A Level textbooks? :confused: Some have said that GCSE science is dumbed down so I might actually end up getting marked wrong if I put A Level answers, I think the syllabuses are different aswell. Thanks though
    I mean just try and borrow the A level books from your school for the courses you are planning to take and get to grips with some of the key material in your spare time just to see what it will be like next your. And you are probably right about GCSE science being dumbed down, so definitely don't try and apply it to your GCSE exams. Even though you won't be applying this to your GCSEs it should be useful nonetheless. When I started to develop an interest in physics and began researching highly complex material my GCSE physics grades went up massively even though I didn't do any more revision on the GCSE material (which is incredibly boring when compared to the physics that is out there like relativity, quantum mechanics, entropy and all that other cool stuff).

By the way, what have your module grades been in science so far? I assume you have done a few if your course is anything like mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike Johnston)
    I mean just try and borrow the A level books from your school for the courses you are planning to take and get to grips with some of the key material in your spare time just to see what it will be like next your. And you are probably right about GCSE science being dumbed down, so definitely don't try and apply it to your GCSE exams. Even though you won't be applying this to your GCSEs it should be useful nonetheless. When I started to develop an interest in physics and began researching highly complex material my GCSE physics grades went up massively even though I didn't do any more revision on the GCSE material (which is incredibly boring when compared to the physics that is out there like relativity, quantum mechanics, entropy and all that other cool stuff).

By the way, what have your module grades been in science so far? I assume you have done a few if your course is anything like mine.
    Thanks so much for the advice! I'm interested in what you did when you were researching physics, and how it improved your grades, if the material is different? In my January modules I did terrible (for me anyway), A* in bio, A in Chem and B in physics. But I know where I went wrong now. I dedicated little time doing practice questions and those were my weak areas, but now I'm doing more practice questions and developing a greater understanding. Hopefully I can do better this summer!

ReputationRep:
    haha, I got an A* in Geography with no revision. Seriously, it's GCSE, just relax and try your best, there's no need to over-compensate. A-Level is 10 times harder and more important than GCSE, my English Language teacher did say to me that GCSEs only get you into A-Levels- then the hard work starts. The worload is fierce, you will certainly need to increase effort and organisation- judging from the OP threat, you will probably explode.
    However, if you want all A*s, then, by all means...

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.