Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need some help with this question please. I managed to do a but I'm not sure what to put for b and c.

6. Aluminium and titanium are extracted from their purified oxides by different methods.

(a) Discuss, with the aid of chemical equations, the method used for each metal. (10)

(b) Explain why each method is chosen. (4)

(c) Explain why aluminium is recycled although aluminium oxide is in plentiful supply. (3)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vedderfan94)
    I need some help with this question please. I managed to do a but I'm not sure what to put for b and c.

6. Aluminium and titanium are extracted from their purified oxides by different methods.

(a) Discuss, with the aid of chemical equations, the method used for each metal. (10)

(b) Explain why each method is chosen. (4)

(c) Explain why aluminium is recycled although aluminium oxide is in plentiful supply. (3)
    (b) you can extract metals either using reduction with more reactive metal as most metals are found to be in oxidised state(they love to form cationic species with oxygen, etc) or electrolysis - splitting compounds into elements using electrical means.

electrolysis is a costly process but necessary where reduction doesn't work. you need a reducing agent that is strong enough to reduce the metal down to elemental oxidation state of 0.

so based on this, you can answer part (b) in your own way.

(c) not sure if you know, but aluminium is extracted from its ore(bauxite) via electrolysis. compare production cost of new aluminium vs recycling aluminium,as aluminium is widely used.
    also environmental concern perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    (b) you can extract metals either using reduction with more reactive metal as most metals are found to be in oxidised state(they love to form cationic species with oxygen, etc) or electrolysis - splitting compounds into elements using electrical means.

electrolysis is a costly process but necessary where reduction doesn't work. you need a reducing agent that is strong enough to reduce the metal down to elemental oxidation state of 0.

so based on this, you can answer part (b) in your own way.

(c) not sure if you know, but aluminium is extracted from its ore(bauxite) via electrolysis. compare production cost of new aluminium vs recycling aluminium,as aluminium is widely used.
    also environmental concern perhaps?
    thanks for the help

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.