Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which university has the most arrogant students? Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gunmetalpanda)
    Elaborate?
    Well many people think that we're all arrogant tossers and given the environment we're in, you might suppose that there's little way we could not be arrogant. Most of the people I came across (tutors included) have a crippling lack of self-esteem/belief and think/feel rather stupid, compared to their peers or tutors. Talk to the peers or tutors and you realise that the people who you feel inferior to feel very inferior themselves (to others or sometimes even yourself!), even though you can't imagine how someone that talented could possibly not believe in themselves.

It's how some people end up very ill and/or killing themselves :sadnod:

I'm not the only one who's noticed this, so it's not just limited to my experience of Oxford either: others I know (people my age, as well as tutors) have commented on it too, about the people they know :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Elaborate?
    I've met a girl whos got an offer to do history at cambridge. She's not entirely sure how she managed it, she thinks she completely messed up the interview.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to Cambridge, the people I know going to Cambridge (either from TSR or at my school) don't fit this arrogant stereotype, and come across instead as quite insecure, nervous but kind people. Remember that even high-achievers can feel overshadowed by even more remarkable people. The kid studying Engineering with A*A* in A-level Maths/FM may feel inadequate compared to his friends studying Maths who have 1/1 or 1/2 in STEP, who in turn may feel inadequate compared to even better Maths students, culminating in the IMO medallists and savants. It would be very easy to feel inadequate when you're surrounded by other exceptional people.

On the other hand, many of the people I know going to Oxford are stuck-up *****, but then again I know very few people going to Oxford.

There is obviously snobbery wherever you go, but from hearsay it has been suggested that Durham is a huge culprit for this stuck-up culture, followed by the likes of Bristol, St. Andrews, Exeter etc. And the folk at ICL/UCL/LSE are just too busy trying to get jobs in the City to have any time left over to be arrogant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In the looney bin)
    This is "I'm so academic" bait all over.
    So true!

He's in for one hell of an argument!

ReputationRep:
    All the Cambridge graduates/students I know are quite modest and likeable, however, I can't help but think they aren't all like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RP-MRU.)
    So true!

He's in for one hell of an argument!
    she. I.S.A is a girl.

ReputationRep:
    I would have said it would be obvious - however, I spose' tha's like stereotyping.
    But, the above probably have it right...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RP-MRU.)
    All the Cambridge graduates/students I know are quite modest and likeable, however, I can't help but think they aren't all like that.
    No uni has 100% modest and likeable students though :nah:

(Though of course, Cambridge clearly sucks :awesome: )

ReputationRep:
    for **** sake what a stupid thread.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so many uni-hate threads today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    With regards to Cambridge, the people I know going to Cambridge (either from TSR or at my school) don't fit this arrogant stereotype, and come across instead as quite insecure, nervous but kind people. Remember that even high-achievers can feel overshadowed by even more remarkable people. The kid studying Engineering with A*A* in A-level Maths/FM may feel inadequate compared to his friends studying Maths who have 1/1 or 1/2 in STEP, who in turn may feel inadequate compared to even better Maths students, culminating in the IMO medallists and savants. It would be very easy to feel inadequate when you're surrounded by other exceptional people.

On the other hand, any of the people I know going to Oxford are stuck-up *****, but then again I know very few people going to Oxford.

There is obviously snobbery wherever you go, but from hearsay it has been suggested that Durham is a huge culprit for this stuck-up culture, followed by the likes of Bristol, St. Andrews, Exeter etc. And the folk at ICL/UCL/LSE are just too busy trying to get jobs in the City to have any time left over to be arrogant
    True lol

ReputationRep:
    This thread is really scaring me I was looking forward to Durham.Now I am scared everyone will look down at me because I am a working class girl.

Especially after I read this article!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sh-of-cultures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Well many people think that we're all arrogant tossers and given the environment we're in, you might suppose that there's little way we could not be arrogant. Most of the people I came across (tutors included) have a crippling lack of self-esteem/belief and think/feel rather stupid, compared to their peers or tutors. Talk to the peers or tutors and you realise that the people who you feel inferior to feel very inferior themselves (to others or sometimes even yourself!), even though you can't imagine how someone that talented could possibly not believe in themselves.

It's how some people end up very ill and/or killing themselves
    :sadnod:

I'm not the only one who's noticed this, so it's not just limited to my experience of Oxford either: others I know (people my age, as well as tutors) have commented on it too, about the people they know :yes:
    :facepalm: for feeling intellectually inadequate? nerds

ReputationRep:
    Well in reality few people know loads of graduates or students from different universities, they will just go off what they see on TSR where a few trolls can warp perceptions and give universities a bad name.

I find in life in general people who have really achieved stuff, are rarely arrogant, they are more likely to try and overcompensate by being humble so people don't think they are arrogant. Hence the Oxbridge grads that I know are all fine. However when I went to visit a girl from Oxford, who I'd met travelling, my experience that weekend was that her college (Hertford) was full of pretentious arrogant idiots who were all trying to score points over each other. Maybe that was just a one off set of people, maybe when they get out in the real world and get good jobs they will settle down like the grads I know, but perhaps that arrogance was when they were surrounded by their peers who were all from Oxford, and they were vying for social status.

I think on TSR you see a lot of people at good universities which are outside Oxbridge, who are very keen on publicising their own university's superiority to others, and that comes over as arrogant. I see a lot on TSR with the London students, you see some of the UCL crew very keen to tell students from KCL and SOAS that their institutions are second rate and that UCL is up there with the Ivy league.

Also (and I've commented on this before) there are a few students from places like Nottingham, Bath, etc who go on the IB forum asking for careers advice, and they get treated like second class citizens because they are at a 'semi target' university, so after being bullied on there for a bit, they will go onto the finance & accountancy forum and try to assert themselves as having dominant status there because they are at a 'top ten' institution which is well ahead of the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield etc.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    :facepalm: for feeling intellectually inadequate? nerds
    Not just for feeling intellectually inadequate: that indeed would be silly. Feeling intellectually inadequate can trigger off/spiral into many more serious things and feelings though :sadnod:

Very few of us match the typical definition of nerds :yes:

ReputationRep:
    You'll get a clutch of arrogant students at any university, but I disagree with the idea that Oxbridge/UCL/Durham et al have a higher concentration. It's just that on this forum, you get a huge number of people purporting 'elitism' because they know it's going to aggravate people. Most of them have probably never even been to Oxford or Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie678)
    This thread is really scaring me I was looking forward to Durham.Now I am scared everyone will look down at me because I am a working class girl.

Especially after I read this article!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sh-of-cultures
    There will obviously be differences between the posh and the not but it can be overcome pretty easily. Just laugh about your differences and don't take it as seriously as the writer of that article!

ReputationRep:
    Anyway stupid question OP, I'm sure all universities have their share of arrogant *****. It's not like you get admission preference based on your level of arrogance :lolwut:. You should get jacked and beat up the rugby captain imo.

ReputationRep:
    The three people going to Oxbridge in my year are all very down to earth, friendly and self-depricating. This is obviously a small sample size, but they are the best types I know. Me and the other medics are all fairly unimposing types as well - hey sterotypes suck eh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I think on TSR you see a lot of people at good universities which are outside Oxbridge, who are very keen on publicising their own university's superiority to others, and that comes over as arrogant. I see a lot on TSR with the London students, you see some of the UCL crew very keen to tell students from KCL and SOAS that their institutions are second rate and that UCL is up there with the Ivy league.

Also (and I've commented on this before) there are a few students from places like Nottingham, Bath, etc who go on the IB forum asking for careers advice, and they get treated like second class citizens because they are at a 'semi target' university, so after being bullied on there for a bit, they will go onto the finance & accountancy forum and try to assert themselves as having dominant status there because they are at a 'top ten' institution which is well ahead of the likes of Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield etc.
    How sad is that lol.

Edit. And how sad are you for lurking through their posts lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.