Turn on thread page Beta

Which university has the most arrogant students? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Nothing inherently, it just doesn't give you the grounds to feel superior.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Or, I was being irrelevant and would have thought the same thing if a medicine or engineering student said the same things he did.
    No, I think it's relevant in that it makes it that little bit more amusing ha ha. (Plus he won't be acting so superior when he needs to come to you because he has a problem with his eyes ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    You'll be fine. Remember that the loud arrogant ones are the ones that get noticed, not all the quieter ordinary human beings.

Durham has quite a large proportion of students from the North which is not generally where the rahs come from.

I would stick with St Aidan's as it has a lower proportion of independent school students than some colleges such as Hatfield, St Hild and St Bede, Castle.

Join societies for anything you enjoy doing or any sport or activity that you fancy trying out and you will soon meet people with the same interests as yourself, regardless of which sort of school they went to.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know there was so much beef against Durham, I went there for an engineering open day and everyone was so nice, couldn't believe how warm people were, much nicer than east london. I suppose it depends on the people that you're used to hanging about with, and then you draw comparisons with them, to with people that you meet for the first time. But if there was anything different about it, everyone was white, felt so weird compared to what I'm used to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie678)
    This thread is really scaring me I was looking forward to Durham.Now I am scared everyone will look down at me because I am a working class girl.

Especially after I read this article!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sh-of-cultures

i think that if you read the comments underneath the article you will feel much better about going. there are probably always people that are going to look down on your background but the majority wont. i dont think that you should worry about it as you wouldnt want to make friends with people who look down on your background. make friends with people who respect you and where you come from and make the most of your time at uni. as a privately educated person who is applying to Durham next year i can safely say that i would not judge you from coming from a working class background and most people would feel the same way. uni is about making the most out of your time and the author of the article definitely did not and so had a horrible time. dont linger on the fact that people will be different and embrace the environment that you are in. by doing so i believe you will have a brilliant time and will not regret going.

i hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie678)
    This thread is really scaring me I was looking forward to Durham.Now I am scared everyone will look down at me because I am a working class girl.

Especially after I read this article!
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...sh-of-cultures
    Mei Leng Yew is someone trying to make a career as a journalist and that article in the Guardian no doubt obtained her a lot of attention.

But it isn't the only thing she wrote for the Guardian last summer. Here she is casting an "expert" eye over the property market.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/gall...876090&index=3

They don't look like back to back houses to me and goodness knows where they keep the ferrets and the pigeon loft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Obviously I don't know you hugely well but self-confidence can be a huge barrier to academic achievement and I'd be inclined to think that your scraped A might say more about your self-confidence and how that affects you, than it might about your actual potential/capacity to score well
    The scraped A was initally a B but it only recently went up, despite resitting both modules again. I did worse in one and marginally better in the other, and I have told you before about how the other girls got three marks higher and I'm pretty sure they didn't try harder than I did. What you said has been echoed by a teacher before, and I suppose it may be true to an extent. I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but even if I did I know their achievements would surpass mine, which again I should try and accept. :yes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by toasteh)
    The scraped A was initally a B but it only recently went up, despite resitting both modules again. I did worse in one and marginally better in the other, and I have told you before about how the other girls got three marks higher and I'm pretty sure they didn't try harder than I did. What you said has been echoed by a teacher before, and I suppose it may be true to an extent. I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but even if I did I know their achievements would surpass mine, which again I should try and accept. :yes:
    I didn't necessarily expet you to believe me but these things are always worth saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I didn't necessarily expet you to believe me but these things are always worth saying
    I may not believe what you say, but I do appreciate you saying it.

ReputationRep:
    university of life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RP-MRU.)
    So true!

He's in for one hell of an argument!
    S***, I do apologise.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from my own (fairly limited) personal experience, all the UCL students that I know are really arrogant because UCL came fourth in the Times QS world rankings league table-placing them above Oxford and Imperial, so now they're constantly bragging about it and how they're going to beat Cambridge too.
    Nevertheless, that's probably just the people I know who go to UCL, I'm sure they're not all like that!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sah-bree-na)
    Speaking from my own (fairly limited) personal experience, all the UCL students that I know are really arrogant because UCL came fourth in the Times QS world rankings league table-placing them above Oxford and Imperial, so now they're constantly bragging about it and how they're going to beat Cambridge too.
    Nevertheless, that's probably just the people I know who go to UCL, I'm sure they're not all like that!
    xx
    Doesn't sound too bad, sounds more like banter with the other unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yokabasha)
    Doesn't sound too bad, sounds more like banter with the other unis.
    People seem to think banter is arrogance nowadays, even when you layer the sarcasm on as thick as treacle.

It's a sad time to be a teenager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    3 People I knew last year applied to Oxford [1] and Cambridge [2]. All 3 of them also applied to Durham.

By Christmas, they had all been rejected from Oxbridge and were awaiting a decision from Durham. Their attitude seemed to change overnight. One minute, they were praising Oxbridge as the best thing ever, so super shiny and fantabulous that nothing could ever compare; the next day, it's a ****hole that only posh kids get into and is massively overrated.

A year later, I'm still in contact with all of them, and when I asked how it compares to Oxbridge, their response hasn't changed "SO MUCH BETTER" etc. They've also changed into d-bags, but that's another story.

Now, here's the thing. Durham isn't a bad University at all. It's a great university. But it, along with universities like Imperial/UCL are 80% of the time under the name "Oxford" "Cambridge" on someones UCAS. They're backups in-case those people don't get into Oxbridge, whereas the other 20% apply to Durham, Imperial, UCL etc knowing that they are great Unis to begin with.

I hate hypocrites. If you applied to Oxbridge, you wanted to go there. There's a lot of self delusion on this forum that once you're rejected from Oxbridge, you never wanted to go there, it was bad anyway, etc. XXXX University is so much better...

I got rejected like a *****. That doesn't change my opinion that they're fantastic universities. Once you get that rejection, you should really realise that it isn't the end of the world, and make the best of the opportunity you have, without deluding yourself. I still have hopes that I will get to do some sort of Postgraduate study there.

That was a bit of a tangent, but it's been something that's been bugging me for a long time on TSR.
    This!

In fact, I spoke to two Oxbridge tutors the other week (one Oxford and one Cambridge) and they said to me that even if you got rejected, that doesn't mean you weren't good enough for Oxbridge, it justs means that the competition was so fierce that they had to cut people out. One said to me how bad he felt turning away genuinely top quality students who deserved places at Oxbridge but just couldn't be fitted in.

This worried me, as I want to go to Cambridge, and I don't feel I am anything special LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniUni)
    I'm at Durham University and they're a lot of stuck-up / arrogant students here. For instance, the captain of one the rugby teams at my College is a complete t*****r!!! He literally works around with his nose in the air looking down at people and think's he's God's gift!!! Also, there's a group of boys who think they're Durham's answer to the Bullingdon Club and think they're are ''lads'' and behave in an extremely obnoxious manner.

I know a postgraduate who studied for his first degree at Cambridge who said there are more arrogant students at Durham then at Cambridge!!! :eek:

Which university do you think has the most arrogant students?
    :O which Durham college do you go to? I heard Castle was a bit like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Durham students have a pretty bad reputation in the local area tbh. I'm not just saying that to get at them, it's true.

I'd say the majority of Durham students are nice people. However, a minority of them are undoubtedly stuck up and arrogant, and their actions tend to give the impression to the local community that all Durham students are like.

The culture clash is probably something as well, since Durham students are typically well-off and Southern, the local area is fairly deprived and Northern. Durham students really stand out.

I'd say that Durham will be one of the worst for arrogance but only because of a minority of their students. Most are nice.
    My uncle lives in durham so I will ask him if he agrees.

I was thinking of applying to durham next year, would you advise it? seeing as I'm not posh and don't want to have to knock out toffs 24/7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    3 People I knew last year applied to Oxford [1] and Cambridge [2]. All 3 of them also applied to Durham.

By Christmas, they had all been rejected from Oxbridge and were awaiting a decision from Durham. Their attitude seemed to change overnight. One minute, they were praising Oxbridge as the best thing ever, so super shiny and fantabulous that nothing could ever compare; the next day, it's a ****hole that only posh kids get into and is massively overrated.

A year later, I'm still in contact with all of them, and when I asked how it compares to Oxbridge, their response hasn't changed "SO MUCH BETTER" etc. They've also changed into d-bags, but that's another story.

Now, here's the thing. Durham isn't a bad University at all. It's a great university. But it, along with universities like Imperial/UCL are 80% of the time under the name "Oxford" "Cambridge" on someones UCAS. They're backups in-case those people don't get into Oxbridge, whereas the other 20% apply to Durham, Imperial, UCL etc knowing that they are great Unis to begin with.

I hate hypocrites. If you applied to Oxbridge, you wanted to go there. There's a lot of self delusion on this forum that once you're rejected from Oxbridge, you never wanted to go there, it was bad anyway, etc. XXXX University is so much better...

I got rejected like a *****. That doesn't change my opinion that they're fantastic universities. Once you get that rejection, you should really realise that it isn't the end of the world, and make the best of the opportunity you have, without deluding yourself. I still have hopes that I will get to do some sort of Postgraduate study there.

That was a bit of a tangent, but it's been something that's been bugging me for a long time on TSR.
    Yeah I know people like that as well, and its so damn hypocritical. That's the problem with Durham, for many Oxbridge rejects it is their immediate back up choice because it has a similar set up with its collegiate system. With Durham as well, for a lot of course you don't have to interview (I think!) so these people with decent enough grades will be accepted there on grades alone, without interviewers being able to tell that they are door handles.

Then again, at the other extreme, you get people who apply to Oxbridge year on year because it's the only place they want to study, which is just plain stupid. When I got rejected from Oxford I felt a little gutted, maybe a little bitter even, but after a while I completely forgot about it all. Like now, I don't know if I'd swap my uni course for the Oxford one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    My uncle lives in durham so I will ask him if he agrees.

I was thinking of applying to durham next year, would you advise it? seeing as I'm not posh and don't want to have to knock out toffs 24/7
    I'd definitely, definitely advise it. The only reason I didn't apply is because I don't want to live that close to home. I don't even know if I'd get accommodation.

You won't have to knock out toffs, but Durham does tend to attract the affluent student (40%+ from independent schools), and there aren't many locals. I think about 12% of offers given out were to people with Newcastle, Sunderland, County Durham or Middlesbrough postcodes.

I'm sure the overwhelming majority of them are well-off but very nice people. Just the town/gown relationship isn't brilliant, particularly amongst the younger generation. It's lovely city and the university is held in excellent regard both at home and internationally.

If you're on the Stockton campus you'll be in Middlesbrough, pretty much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I'd definitely, definitely advise it. The only reason I didn't apply is because I don't want to live that close to home. I don't even know if I'd get accommodation.

You won't have to knock out toffs, but Durham does tend to attract the affluent student (40%+ from independent schools), and there aren't many locals. I think about 12% of offers given out were to people with Newcastle, Sunderland, County Durham or Middlesbrough postcodes.

I'm sure the overwhelming majority of them are well-off but very nice people. Just the town/gown relationship isn't brilliant, particularly amongst the younger generation. It's lovely city and the university is held in excellent regard both at home and internationally.

If you're on the Stockton campus you'll be in Middlesbrough, pretty much...
    Fair enough. Thanks :P

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, that when my brother recently got a prospectus from Durham, one of the collages said that they took non-public schooled students as well. Well that made me laugh. Sounds so snobby.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.