Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thailand watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on going to Thailand in June for a week. I just want to experience some awesome nightlife and see some nice beaches. Where would be the best places for this?

I'm thinking a few days in Bangkok and then going down to Phuket but that's a well tread tourist route so I'm looking for something a bit different.

ReputationRep:
    I would spend a few days in Bangkok then get an overnight bus down south and stay on an island for a few days. Ko Phi Phi is recommended, you could leave Bangkok at night and be on the island by mid day the following day. Krabi / Ao Nang / Railay is quite nice too :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I would spend a few days in Bangkok then get an overnight bus down south and stay on an island for a few days. Ko Phi Phi is recommended, you could leave Bangkok at night and be on the island by mid day the following day. Krabi / Ao Nang / Railay is quite nice too :top:

Thank you good sir

Have you been to any of these places yourself? How did you find them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogaddi)
    I'm planning on going to Thailand in June for a week. I just want to experience some awesome nightlife and see some nice beaches. Where would be the best places for this?

I'm thinking a few days in Bangkok and then going down to Phuket but that's a well tread tourist route so I'm looking for something a bit different.
    Surely not worth going just for 7 days?

ReputationRep:
    £18 to feed 10, that's why Mums go to Iceland!

£10 for an 18 year old, that's why Dads go to Thailand!

ReputationRep:
    I have been to Bangkok, Pattaya, Koh Chang and Udon Thani.

Udon Thani will not meet either of your requirements, but is really good to see how the Thai really live (if that interests you).

Pattaya is the best for night life (and has nice beaches too!), and if you're going to Thailand you have to experience Walking Street at least once lol... I did as a 16 year old girl :P

Bangkok will have a good night life, but as a place is just a busier and less attractive version of London...

Koh Chang is beautiful, quiet and very accessible from Pattaya

Anything else, just ask. Thailand is the most amazing country, you'll love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogaddi)
    Thank you good sir

Have you been to any of these places yourself? How did you find them?
    Yes, I'm not one for islands really so I didn't spend a lot of time down south though. Bangkok was probably one of my favourate places in Thailand, I lived there for 6-8 weeks. It's a fantastic city, so much to see & do, you'll never get bored.

But seeing as though you're more of a beach person you might like the south better I suppose. You see I'm more of a gogogogo kind of person, I don't really like lounging on a beach :p:

Ko Phi Phi is really nice, albeit pretty touristy I would of thought these days (where isn't though?). The water is as clear as you'll get and the snorkelling is fantastic. Railay is nice & there is some rock climbing there if you're into that kind of thing. I didn't actually stay on the island, I stayed in Krabi & took a boat there as it was cheaper.

I went to Koh Lanta for a few days too but thought it was a bit ****.

Koh Jum wasn't very developed when I was there in 07 but that may not be the case any more... Like seriously there were only like 30 people on the island...

(Original post by emilylikeeee)
    but as a place is just a busier and less attractive version of London...
    Lawl how can you compare them? They're completely different places...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    £18 to feed 10, that's why Mums go to Iceland!

£10 for an 18 year old, that's why Dads go to Thailand!
    Is that actualy true?

ReputationRep:
    Spent a month their last August.

Nightlife: Bangkok (Khoa san rd), koh phangan (full/half/black moon), koh phi phi

I found these places to have the best in terms of nightlife & beach parties. Koh Samui has some decent beach parties but its quite a lot more expensive than the above. Phuket will also not be on the same level as the above!

ReputationRep:
    I recommend staying at Indigo Pearl in Phuket, or Hansar Samui in Koh Samui. If you're planning on staying at Bangkok, why not try the Sukhothai Hotel? I don't know if you're looking for cheaper accommodation, but if not, those 3 will meet all your expectations.

I have never been to Thailand, but I do study its tourism quite intensely. Nobody seems to have mentioned Hua Hin yet. That is a lovely ancient town, a royal retreat, that also boasts magnificent beach resorts and some good nightlife. It is like a hybrid of Udon Thani/Chiang Mai/Phuket, which will give you good ideas of how Thai's live, but with the added bonus of tourism to make you feel at home.

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to Thailand, can anybody tell me, is it expensive for two weeks ish? Going between different places, Bangkok, koh phi phi, and experiencing everything neccessary?

ReputationRep:
    If your'e after beaches and nightlife I don't think you'll find many places that aren't 'well tread tourist' areas, to be honest. There's a few beaches in Ko Samui, and apparently 'Lonely Beach' in Ko Chang is popular with backpackers and has a good nightlife.. I'm not sure you'll be able to find somewhere with good nightlife that *isn't* fairly touristy. You could also go to/on the Full Moon Party http://fullmoonparty-thailand.com/schedules.html

There's been recent floods/storms or something, apparently, I'm not sure if they'll last so long but at the moment the place seems a bit hectic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senator88)
    I want to go to Thailand, can anybody tell me, is it expensive for two weeks ish? Going between different places, Bangkok, koh phi phi, and experiencing everything neccessary?
    No, probably really inexpensive in terms of accommodation etc. The thing that'll cost most is your flight there and back I think! You might need about.. 300 for two weeks? Well it depends how much you drink and party, what you want to do whilst there etc..

ReputationRep:
    I'm heading to Krabi (Ao Nang), Phi Phi Islands, Kanchanaburi and Bangkok next week with my girlfriend for our first visit which will be 14 days long. A bit of a touristy choice of areas but it's our first time and I'm sure we'll be back to explore more areas of it. Bit worried about the floods atm, but Ao Nang our first stop seems ok and it should be calming down now.

As for costs, it was £550 return ticket to Heathrow to Bangkok with Jet Airways, during the time of year we're going it's quite expensive for domestic flights from Bangkok to Krabi/Phuket (Thai New Year) and we booked it only a few days ago so that was extortionate but... had to be done because we didn't want to waste valuable time waiting for crowded buses & trains during the Songkran. It'll be much cheaper certain times of year I'm guessing so plan ahead.

Accommodation prices in Bangkok seems great, £100 a night for a 5 star hotel, some more expensive some cheaper. Lots of nice hotels much much cheaper, I've seen really nice high rated places from £20 a night.

Phi Phi Islands is expensive for nice accommodation, but can be done on a budget in all the backpackers resorts so I hear. Early April is expensive for accommodation so I only know about that. The quieter beaches are £100+ and beyond for the reputable fancy places. We went with accommodation on Tonsai Bay (doesn't sound our cup of tea) but a 10 minute walk away in a supposed secluded & quiet area with a private beach, will hopefully get longtails boats to other quiet beaches during the day and head to the town in the evening to eat, have a drink etc. Our hotel costed on average £70 to £80 a night.

We're also camping overnight on Maya Bay (The Beach) with a tour company who provide drinks, sleeping bags etc. Sounds great and only costed us £40 each, perhaps expensive for Thailand but it's the only opportunity to stay overnight so try do that, £40 in England would get me a taxi to town and back for a night so to me it's a bargain.

As for food and other travelling costs it all sounds quite cheap but it sounds like there's lots of fun things to do out there so all depends what you want to do I guess.

I haven't actually been to Thailand yet but I've been researching non stop for about a month so I guess have a bit of helpful input at least.

As for OP I don't know much about nightlife places it's not what we've looked for. But 4 nights in Patong and 3 nights in Bangkok could be done nicely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I would have said the same as this except try and get the overnight train down. It's more comfy than the coach! And quite an experience.

I found Phuket too commercial - whilst the beaches were lovely - it was very much a package destination. Although a night in Patong is interesting.

I then stayed in AoNany and travelled to the different beaches daily by longtail boat. AoNang has plenty of bars etc without being too commercial.

I'd recommend doing Bangkok on the way back. If you've not travelled much Bangkok can be quite a shock to the system. It really is a crazy place - you cant fail to have an amazing time there.

Have a fab time - Thailand is amazing!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to Hua Hin. It's a **** hole.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.