Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if there are other ways of determining the rate of reaction between hydrogen peroxide and potassium iodide other than doing the clock method.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernovainthesky)
    Hi,

I was wondering if there are other ways of determining the rate of reaction between hydrogen peroxide and potassium iodide other than doing the clock method.

Thank you
    I suppose good thing about the iodine clock reaction is that it is easy to spot when an alternating reaction initiates or ends via change of colour.

Perhaps alteration with use of transition metal redox reactions could yield you similar results? after all, different aqueous transition metal ions tend to have distinctive colours.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Hi,

Thank you
    Check out the equation for the reaction:

H2O2 + 2I- + 2H+ --> 2H2O + I2

Now look for things you can monitor (follow) over the course of the reaction.

Hydrogen ions are disappearing, so maybe pH
    In general ions are disappearing, so maybe conductivity
    Iodine is appearing, so maybe colorimetry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Check out the equation for the reaction:

H2O2 + 2I- + 2H+ --> 2H2O + I2

Now look for things you can monitor (follow) over the course of the reaction.

Hydrogen ions are disappearing, so maybe pH
    In general ions are disappearing, so maybe conductivity
    Iodine is appearing, so maybe colorimetry.
    If I used colorimetry, how would I detect the colour change in order to measure absorbance at different times?

Thanks btw
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    If I used colorimetry, how would I detect the colour change in order to measure absorbance at different times?

Thanks btw
    You would use a colorimeter set to absorb in the complementary colour to blue and starch solution.

As the iodine is produced the starch gets darker and the absorption gets greater.

Reference solutions of known concentrations in iodine, standardised starch and a calibration curve graph etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    You would use a colorimeter set to absorb in the complementary colour to blue and starch solution.

As the iodine is produced the starch gets darker and the absorption gets greater.

Reference solutions of known concentrations in iodine, standardised starch and a calibration curve graph etc.
    Thank you that helps a lot DDDDDDDDDDDDDD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.