Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A = \begin{pmatrix} 2 & 1 & a \\a & 2 & 1 \\1 & a & 2 \end{pmatrix}

I need to find the value(s) of a for which A is positive definite, then prove that A is indeed positive definite for those value(s).

I know that I'm using sylvester's criterion which gives me

4 - a > 0 \

a < 4

(for some reason the less than sign isn't bothering to show up)

and

8+1+a^3 - 2a - 2a - 2a > 0

\implies a^3 -6a + 9 > 0

\implies (a+3)(a^3-3a+3)>0

\implies a > -3

So A is pos def iff -3 < a < 4

However, proving that this is the case would require finding the quadratic form of A which is

Q_A(x,y,z) = 2x^2 + 2y^2 + 2z^2 + (a+1)xy + (a+1)xz + (a+1)yz

Whilst completing the square and putting all of this into quadratic form, I think I'm messing up somewhere or I'm using the wrong technique. Is there an easier way of doing this?

ReputationRep:
    After a brief glance on Wikipedia, I gather that Sylvester's Criterion says a matrix is positive definite if the determinants of its upper left 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3 matrices are positive.

The upper left 2x2 determinant is 2-a. For this to be positive, a < 2.

So I don't know where that a < 4 is coming from.

I also got a different cubic equation than you did from evaluating the 3x3 determinant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragon)
    After a brief glance on Wikipedia, I gather that Sylvester's Criterion says a matrix is positive definite if the determinants of its upper left 1x1, 2x2 and 3x3 matrices are positive.

The upper left 2x2 determinant is 2-a. For this to be positive, a < 2.

So I don't know where that a < 4 is coming from.

I also got a different cubic equation than you did from evaluating the 3x3 determinant.
    Sorry about that, I mistyped the matrix - the top left 1 was supposed to be a 2.

ReputationRep:
    OK so that looks all correct to me. Surely evaluating the determinants like you did is sufficient to show A is positive definite? Why is that not a valid proof?

ReputationRep:
    OK so that looks all correct to me. Surely evaluating the determinants like you did is sufficient to show A is positive definite? Why is that not a valid proof?
    Well, I've found the values of a for which A is positive definite, but now all that remains is to prove that A is indeed positive definite for these values, that's what I'm having trouble with.

I presumed that I'd have to use the fact that a positive matrix is pos def iff its quadratic form is strictly greater than 0, and I would expect that would simply yield that it was, as long as -3<a<4, which I can't get it to do.

ReputationRep:
    Well according to the Wikipedia article, Sylvester's Criterion is an if and only if and thus a sufficient condition to show A is positive definite.

I guess another, probably easier, way to show it is to take any 0 \ne v = (x, y, z) \in \mathbb{R}^3 and show that v^T A v > 0 for the values of a you obtained.

ReputationRep:
    Well according to the Wikipedia article, Sylvester's Criterion is an if and only if and thus a sufficient condition to show A is positive definite.

I guess another, probably easier, way to show it is to take any 0 \ne v = (x, y, z) \in \mathbb{R}^3 and show that v^T A v > 0 for the values of a you obtained.
    So we'd be taking any generic v, finding out Av and then finding v^T A v and then checking it for values of a between -3 and 4?

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Although that isn't really necessary as Sylvester's Criterion proves the matrix is positive definite.

ReputationRep:
    It's not actually *that* hard to show your expression for Q is positive definite for those values.

Note that you know (x-y)^2 + (y-z)^2 + (z-x)^2 >=0 for all x,y,z.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.