Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Been going out with this guy "officially" for over three months, known eachother for about eight. He works at my uni town, and I go to Uni graduating in July.

We've had a quite a big disagreement about the "future". To me, this is far to early to having this talk. To him, its not. He believes we have this an amazing connection, getting jealous when I make summer plans with mates (one festival and a holiday) and not him. I will be graduating in July, and these plans wouldn't affect me at all if I were to get a job, which is why I'm hesitant about making holiday plans with him as I don't know if I'll be free or not.

Currently, I have no real plans with what I'm doing with my life. But I want to know and have a job/travel plans sorted so I know what my plan is soon. I'm applying to grad schemes and have interviews lined up,but if that all goes balls up then I'm going travelling after working in the summer. I've been brought up to believe that I should think about myself first, sort my life out first, and then think about others so if it doesnt work out with whoever, I will always have something to fall back on.

So therefore I'm saying we should take our relationship slowly, and see how it goes, rather than setting ourselves goals about where we think we should be in x amount of months.(He's talking about moving down to london to be close to me).

Summary: Been together three months, he's making future plans in his head about moving down to be near me. I, however, will be graduating soon, and want to sort out what I'm doing (be it job/travelling) before I start involving myself in other peoples plans.

Is this so bad of me?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is because it's how you feel, and it's clear that if it doesn't work out between you you'll still be yourself. None of that 'OMYGOD NOWHAT!' crap.
    That said, I think it would be best if you have a chat about how you feel because he may not know, and the worst that can happen is he'll get angry and you'll break up... In which case it's better it happened now than later.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hudlam)
    I don't think it is because it's how you feel, and it's clear that if it doesn't work out between you you'll still be yourself. None of that 'OMYGOD NOWHAT!' crap.
    That said, I think it would be best if you have a chat about how you feel because he may not know, and the worst that can happen is he'll get angry and you'll break up... In which case it's better it happened now than later.

Good luck
    I think you're completely right
    It's good to know that incase you do brake up you're not going to be completely lost, but he may need to know that you're as into the relationship as he is, and may be prepared to settle down with him, as far into the future it may be x

ReputationRep:
    I think your completely in the right, but I hope you've told him all this to

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.