Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Bham is 83%.

So for every 6 students, 4 'are satisfied' with Manc, but 5 are for Birmingham. Over a year of 300 people, thats a significant amount. Anyway, you can't always trust these...
    do you have links to these data?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhamsh)
    do you have links to these data?
    http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/searchResults.do

ReputationRep:
    Whenever i think of Manchester Med school i always think of this blog:

http://thelittlemedic.blogspot.com/2...ld-you-so.html

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)

that was :eek:

ReputationRep:
    that was :eek:
    Yeh the little half page "sum up" of his time at manchester would definitely put me off.

ReputationRep:

In fairness, they are doing something about that.

It was probably due to scathing reviews from their own students that they finally took notice and began to change the course. I've read nothing but good things about the changes they've made so far and the ones coming up look good too.

Anyway, the choice is down to what you want from University OP. Go to the open days and make your decision then.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham 100%

Going to Manchester is simply paying £3000 a year for the privilege of teaching yourself medicine.
    Because paying £3000 to sit in a lecture with 200 other students is such a great way to use your money.

At Manchester it's ****e. Even though I'm not a medical student yet, I have actually sat through a lecture there and it wasn't bad at all.
    Very naive ... just because you like lectures doesnt mean everyone else will. I dont like lectures because they arent engaging so my mind starts to wonder. PBL would be great for me because its very interactive. EVERYONE is different.

(Original post by SteveCrain)
    Where is this research? I, on the other hand, can provide you with a plethora of laments toward PBL.
    RESEARCH:

- This one is about the change at Manchester between the old (traditional usuing just lectures) and new course (Lectures and PBL), it clearly shows the new course is more beneficial. They think they know less but they dont.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11849520

- This one show that PBL grads are better at teamwork.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/m2n34r7450317k60/

- This one shows a significant advantage to using PBL as retention is much better:

http://www.hinsdale86.org/staff/kgabric/pblpaper.htm

Obviously its randomised but we don't know how it was randomised or whether the randomisation still left the two groups a little uneven.

If this, a 12 year old study from a different course in a different country is the closest study you can find, then you shouldn't be making an assumption. Other studies have been done, nothing is conclusive at all. Manchester and Liverpool are the most PBL heavy universities in England... = 66 and 67% student satisfaction ratings, which is definitely amongst the lowest. Even I would recommend some PBL, but for relevant scenarios, not for the teaching of anatomy etc.

Fair enough, I may have sounded angry but I wasnt haha, I just swear far too much
    Peninsula is also one of the most PBL med schools, they have been incredible successful and have one of the highest student satisfaction rates in the country. Also they have been so successful with PBL that UCL has hired the dean of peninsula to sort out the teaching at UCL medical school, also upon request by the GMC the head of clinical teaching at peninsula medical school has gone to Cardiff Medical school to sort out the teaching.

Clearly PBL is effective and the GMC thinks this and a tradtional and integrated medical both need help from a PBL med school. Aint that something.

Bham is 83%.

So for every 6 students, 4 'are satisfied' with Manc, but 5 are for Birmingham. Over a year of 300 people, thats a significant amount. Anyway, you can't always trust these...
    Bham is not 83%. The times gives it 68% and gives Manc 66%.
    The times also gives bristol 65% (tradtional), Cardiff 62% (Intergrated) and warwick 70% (intergrated) and kings 70% (tradtional), Sheffield 72% (Tradtional),
    Liverpool 66%, Barts 70%, Keele 77%, St Georges 74%, Glasgow 75%, Peninsula 83%.

The Independent gives Bham 3.49, Kings 3.46, Cardiff 3.27, Warwick 3.48, Bristol 3.46, Liverpool 3.47, St Georges 3.63, Barts 3.66, Peninsula 4.00, Manc 3.42

Lets face it there is pretty much no difference between half the traditional med schools and half the PBL ones. A lot of the PBL ones being higher than Birmingham.

When ever I think of birmingham I think:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=283

You could equally criticise Bham for having one of the lowest student satisfaction rates of all the tradtional approaches, obviously something is wrong but they arent doing anything about it. Atleast Manc are changing the course for 2011 entry and trying to improve the student satsifaction rates.

Ultimately they have very different approaches to teaching and to the OP YOU need to decide which one suits you more. Answer these questions: are you a person who pays attention really well in class and finds them effective (if so then Bham is for you), are you a person who prefers small group learning and engaging in it as well as a very independent learner (if so then Manc is for you).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    Because paying £3000 to sit in a lecture with 200 other students is such a great way to use your money.

Very naive ... just because you like lectures doesnt mean everyone else will. I dont like lectures because they arent engaging so my mind starts to wonder. PBL would be great for me because its very interactive. EVERYONE is different.

RESEARCH:

- This one is about the change at Manchester between the old (traditional usuing just lectures) and new course (Lectures and PBL), it clearly shows the new course is more beneficial. They think they know less but they dont.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11849520

- This one show that PBL grads are better at teamwork.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/m2n34r7450317k60/

- This one shows a significant advantage to using PBL as retention is much better:

http://www.hinsdale86.org/staff/kgabric/pblpaper.htm

Peninsula is also one of the most PBL med schools, they have been incredible successful and have one of the highest student satisfaction rates in the country. Also they have been so successful with PBL that UCL has hired the dean of peninsula to sort out the teaching at UCL medical school, also upon request by the GMC the head of clinical teaching at peninsula medical school has gone to Cardiff Medical school to sort out the teaching.

Clearly PBL is effective and the GMC thinks this and a tradtional and integrated medical both need help from a PBL med school. Aint that something.

Bham is not 83%. The times gives it 68% and gives Manc 66%.
    The times also gives bristol 65% (tradtional), Cardiff 62% (Intergrated) and warwick 70% (intergrated) and kings 70% (tradtional), Sheffield 72% (Tradtional),
    Liverpool 66%, Barts 70%, Keele 77%, St Georges 74%, Glasgow 75%, Peninsula 83%.

The Independent gives Bham 3.49, Kings 3.46, Cardiff 3.27, Warwick 3.48, Bristol 3.46, Liverpool 3.47, St Georges 3.63, Barts 3.66, Peninsula 4.00, Manc 3.42

Lets face it there is pretty much no difference between half the traditional med schools and half the PBL ones. A lot of the PBL ones being higher than Birmingham.

When ever I think of birmingham I think:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...;postcount=283

You could equally criticise Bham for having one of the lowest student satisfaction rates of all the tradtional approaches, obviously something is wrong but they arent doing anything about it. Atleast Manc are changing the course for 2011 entry and trying to improve the student satsifaction rates.

Ultimately they have very different approaches to teaching and to the OP YOU need to decide which one suits you more. Answer these questions: are you a person who pays attention really well in class and finds them effective (if so then Bham is for you), are you a person who prefers small group learning and engaging in it as well as a very independent learner (if so then Manc is for you).
    Ahahaha i think its time you stepped away form the computer, have little time out and go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    Ahahaha i think its time you stepped away form the computer, have little time out and to go bed.
    Haha, its because i cant resist a good old argument

Plus i feel like i need to defend Manc!!!

TSR has become sooooo addictive, hopefully i will go straight when i go to med school.

EDIT: just read your post count, looks like im not the only one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    Haha, its coz i cant resist a good old argument

Plus i feel like i need to defend Manc!!!

TSR has become sooooo addictive, hopefully i will go straight when i go to med school.

I do agree with you that the integrated approach has to be the way forward, you get the best of both styles of learning.

And its nice to see both Birmingham and Manchester are picking up on student feedback and improving thier courses !

ReputationRep:

I do agree with you that the integrated approach has to be the way forward, you get the best of both styles of learning.

And its nice to see both Birmingham and Manchester are picking up on student feedback and improving thier courses !
    Is bham changing ?? no
    they still take alot of students, still dnt do dissection.

shall we appeal??

ReputationRep:

Yea same.
    People always think that PBL med schools is where you just sit around it groups for the whole time.

I know for a fact that Peninsula and Manc have around 15 hours a week of lectures, labs, anatomy teaching and then PBL on top. Sheffield and notts also have around 15 hours of lectures etc a week.

So dont forget that often PBL med schools are actually intergrated with PBL. I think Peninsula demostrates this quite well.

ReputationRep:
    Is bham changing ?? no

shall we appeal??
    No i dont think they are changing. But they will have to one day.

I dont think that taking a large number of students is a bad thing, just need to make sure that enough support is given and that teaching is done in smaller groups.

I use to think that dissection was really important but tbh its not actually as good as what people think it is.
    I have quite a few friends at med school and tbh there knowledge between a non dissection med school and one that does isnt any different. You only do dissection for the first 2 yrs so by the time you get to foundation years youve forgotten most of it. You will also have plenty of experience in the clinical years when you work with surgeons. Anatomy is a very dry subject anyway which is best learnt by memorising from a book.
    Prosection .... apparently by the time its done it doesnt even resemble a body and ive heard most people just sit there not even understanding a lot of it because they cant tell the differnece between any of the structures.

You cant learn a lot from dead anatomy. Living anatomy is much more useful!

ReputationRep:
    Is bham changing ?? no

shall we appeal??
    Birmingham has changed in terms of its anatomy teaching, supposedly its much improved but i have no real idea. I quite like prosection, getting someone skilled to demonstrate what you would find is better than failing to do so yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    did you decide yet? :P

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.