Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you added your parents on Facebook? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you added your parents on Facebook?
    Of course.
    44.00%
    No.
    56.00%

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't have facebook, but my Aunt, Uncle, Cousins and Grandma do :s

ReputationRep:
    Yep but then I quickly realised my mistake hahah! I defriended my dad but my mum's still my friend on it... for now anyways! I will probably keep her on because she'd only try and find out from my cousins' facebook profiles anyways hahah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anti Elephant Mine)
    I know, another boring 'Facebook relationships topic'. Personally I haven't. I wanted to get other people's opinions on this. Facebook is very 'private' for me and is generally a place that I do not want my parents involved in knowing what I've been up to. There are several other reasons too that are too lengthy and I'm sure others are probably going to post them themselves.

So, have or haven't you? And why?

Also, would you friend your own future children? (Or have you?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11968954

Same here, it's not like I do anything wrong (e.g. sneaking out and going to clubs) but I don't want to add any family member on it.

ReputationRep:
    hahaa nooo!! what, for them to see my drunken pictures?? it would be like watching an ep. of friends with beer goggles on!!! lmao! no thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. They're all fully aware of how much of a knob I am so it doesn't matter what they see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by precious7)
    Opps i blocked my uncle and some other relatives
    Lol I blocked my brother :five:

ReputationRep:
    I have my mum added. I also know her password for emergencies when I have had to log in to her account and delete some daft comments she has made. lol

My poor mum isn't the most internet literate and didn't quite understand how facebook worked at first.
    She thought everything on the news feed was actually directed at her. So she was getting involved in EVERY conversation, commenting on everything, even began adding friends of mine she recognised that I may have had round for tea when I was 8 and hadn't spoken to since and writing long rambly comments on their statuses. :rolleyes:

She also took personal offence to rude statuses and started telling people to stop swearing on her wall.

I just logged in, deleted all the chaos she was causing, sat her down and explained very carefully how facebook works.

She is a lot better now . :yep:

I just keep her added to keep an eye on her...

ReputationRep:
    I added my mum, but she never checks it and will go months without being on it, when she does its to stalk my older sister, the 'wild child' of the family so to say.

My dad can't even text nor open them on his phone, he's the biggest technophobe I know. Up until a few months ago he was still using those Nokia mobile phones from like 10 tens ago that resemble a brick and doesn't like his new, up to date one. He won't go near a computer, let alone set up an email account to get facebook, on which he'd have 4 friends if lucky.

If there's stuff I don't want my mum or siblings to see I just custom edit my status so it doesn't appear on their feed.

ReputationRep:
    I added my Dad after weeks of him asking me and then what do I find out last week? That he's unfriended me.

Wounded.

ReputationRep:
    My dad added me and my brother but we then both deleted him.
    He only made it to check up on us and didn't post anything or use a proper picture of himself and we were the only two people he added. If he started using it properly, I might accept him again.

It's not that I really have anything on there that I don't want him to see because I have my uncle on there who would tell my mum if I posted anything inappropriate anyway. I just found it a little creepy.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my parents continually argue about this. It ended up in me adding them as a friend, but so they couldn't see anything on my profile. The only reason I'm friends with them is because I'm away at uni and like to be able to message them on Facebook

The rest of my family (cousins and brothers) are on there as normal friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    They're added but on customised privacy settings :awesome:.

'Why can't I see some of your photos?'

'Oh, I don't know Ma, isn't that odd?'

'Maybe it's a bad connection'

'That must be it'
    :teehee:.

Lol! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I have both my parents as friends (not that they use it much). My pictures are private to them though, I don't see the problem.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    No, but I have other family members on there.

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't use computers !

ReputationRep:
    I have all my family on facebook cousins uncles mum dad etc i feel uncomfortable sometimes but oh well i cant just delete them its very rude

ReputationRep:
    I have mum on facebook but no one can see my tagged photos so that's cool. She likes any status that involves alcohol. And I wonder where I get my drinking habits from.
    I have my cousins, my mum, my sister, my godfather, don't have my brother or dad though.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is the only one of my (close) family that uses Facebook, I've added her but I've just made sure she can't see my wall/photos etc and I can still talk to her on chat. I think it's the best way to go about this topic.

ReputationRep:
    I've got my mum as a friend but she only really uses facebook to look at the pictures of my nieces and nephews that my sister's put on.
    I make it so she can't see most of my photo albums though... especially when I forgot one and she started talking about looking through it when she rang me. SHe can see my wall posts and stuff though.

I've also got my siblings (who are much older than me and not very close) on the same setting as her, mainly because they'd love to have more to laugh at me about.

ReputationRep:
    I have my dad.. I don't mind so much, but sometimes he writes stupid comments on stuff, so I just delete them -.-

My mum declined me as a friend... that was embarrassing. :pirate2:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.