The Student Room Group

Skype Language Learning Society!

Hello! Sign up if you want to practice speaking!

Link to the society
Chat Thread for organising when/who to skype etc.

The List

Spoiler

To Sign Up:
Post the language/languages you want to practice, your level e.g. AS level and I'll add you to the list! If you're fluent/grew up there/speak it at home/etc please say so too :biggrin: Then PM those on the list for their Skype name - simple. If you want a language added just say, sign language and dead/classical languages etc are fine too :smile:

NB: For languages with regional variations or different dialects e.g. Canadian French vs French from France and Mexican Spanish vs European Spanish etc STATE WHICH TYPE!

IMPORTANT: If your language level is increasing e.g. continuing GCSE French to as level or if you no longer want to be on the list then post in this thread!

Guide to translating between the european framework into GCSE/A Level type qualification-ness

Spoiler

P.S. A HUGE thank you to

Spoiler

emzaz: "Why I made this thread? Well, if you've bothered to read this far, some actual text that isn't spoilered won't phase you so....
Once upon a time I was thinking how important it is to actually practice speaking rather than just write out notes etc and how boring/slightly unstable it is to sit all day talking to yourself so I thought I would create a thread where members of TSR who want to practice for their speaking exams can talk on Skype!
I hope it's worked :smile: The end ^_^"
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would be interested in French and Spanish, but not through video call, just standard skype call! :smile: Good idea :biggrin:.
Reply 2
Original post by liviluck
I would be interested in French and Spanish, but not through video call, just standard skype call! :smile: Good idea :biggrin:.

Heya, yeah I was just thinking normal call too ^_^ Can I write you on the list? If so then what level are you? :smile:

I really hope more people post! I think it could be really good!
Reply 3
Original post by emzaz
Heya, yeah I was just thinking normal call too ^_^ Can I write you on the list? If so then what level are you? :smile:

I really hope more people post! I think it could be really good!

Sure :smile: I'm doing AS level French and AS level Spanish. I plan to continue them both to A2 :biggrin:. Are you AS level or A2?
Reply 4
Sure :smile: I'm doing AS level French and AS level Spanish. I plan to continue them both to A2 :biggrin:. Are you AS level or A2?

Heya, I'm doing A2 but I'm also resitting the speaking exam to boost my UMS marks (need to get an A this year overall you see)
Reply 5
Original post by emzaz
Heya, I'm doing A2 but I'm also resitting the speaking exam to boost my UMS marks (need to get an A this year overall you see)

Ah ok, good luck :smile:! I have my French AS Oral tomorrow and my Spanish next Monday so am very nervous!
Reply 6
Ah ok, good luck :smile:! I have my French AS Oral tomorrow and my Spanish next Monday so am very nervous!

Awww, good luck! It's a shame your spanish and your french weren't switched or we could have gone on skype but I only did spanish for half a year and then dropped it hahah! Try not to be nervous - it's only a chat with a random middle aged woman/man :P That's how I try and think of it anyways! Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by emzaz
Awww, good luck! It's a shame your spanish and your french weren't switched or we could have gone on skype but I only did spanish for half a year and then dropped it hahah! Try not to be nervous - it's only a chat with a random middle aged woman/man :P That's how I try and think of it anyways! Good luck!

Haha, thanks, that's actually made me feel a lot better :smile:, will just go in with that image!
Hey this is a great idea. Can I be up for French (GCSE level) and German (undergrad level)
Reply 9
French GCSE but im really bad havnt done it for 2 years :P
Reply 10
Original post by SpiritedAway
Hey this is a great idea. Can I be up for French (GCSE level) and German (undergrad level)

Great! I've put you on the list ^_^ Try and encourage other people to sign up too :biggrin: I've tried posting on threads where people are asking for help on their speaking exams but I probably just look like I'm spamming the thread hahahah!
Reply 11
brilliant idea! speaking exams coming up eek... put me up for AS level Spanish (and 1st Language Spanish GCSE) (I need to practice too so this works both ways!) :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by ssss
brilliant idea! speaking exams coming up eek... put me up for AS level Spanish (and 1st Language Spanish GCSE) (I need to practice too so this works both ways!) :biggrin:

Yayyy! Lots of people woop woop! Hahah! I wish there was more french exam types! So far it's only the spanish and german lot mainly :P

Spread the word around - that way there'll be lots of people to practice with ^_^

I'll add you now :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by emzaz
Yayyy! Lots of people woop woop! Hahah! I wish there was more french exam types! So far it's only the spanish and german lot mainly :P

Spread the word around - that way there'll be lots of people to practice with ^_^

I'll add you now :smile:

Okie dokely :biggrin: you never know, more could turn up out of the woodwork :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by ssss
Okie dokely :biggrin: you never know, more could turn up out of the woodwork :biggrin:

Hahah! Lets hope so!
Reply 15
Hey, I'm currently doing Spanish and French A2, would love to practise speaking the languages with a fellow prolific learner. =]
Reply 16
I'm doing Spanish AS! This is a good idea!
I'd be interested in Mandarin Chinese :biggrin: I'm at AH Level at the moment, equivalent to A2.
I would sign up, but my Spanish AS is this Friday!
Reply 19
I'm a little sceptical.

It's a good idea on paper, but what do you expect to learn if you're speaking with people of your level or not-so-better than you? There are no fluent people in your list as far as I'm aware, and I'm afraid one would get used to do errors because of this.

Even on TSR sometimes people reply in a thread and all seem to agree on the translation or grammar one has posted, despite it being sometimes *very* wrong.

So I guess you'd need fluent people to talk to you? But then it takes time to correct someone decently. I remember spending sometimes one hour or more to check some text that was submitted here, because I had to make sure I was correct, I had to understand the grammar behind it (because I speak correctly by habit but there are loads of rules I forgot), and then I had to explain it in a clear, concise and educational way.

While the learner is happy to spend this time on learning, I know that I'd much rather revise my Japanese for my test tomorrow than "waste" time teaching. Writing is fine, I write when I can and I'm not asked to always check everything that people ask on this subforum (thank god) but speaking suggests similar availability (hai timezones, good thing we're almost all GMT or GMT+1) of both the learner and the teacher.

Then again, I've been told I was being overly negative during the last two days. What I think is severly lacking anyway is: fluent people/natives, availability of the members. The ideal case would be that couples emerge: ie if one is to be taught French by a French person, they should return the favour by teaching English or whatever language they're fluent in. So we have a real interaction and both get something out of it.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending