The Student Room Group

Skype Language Learning Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by emzaz
Hi, I'll add you to the list under chinese but I'm sure you can do a sort of skill swap to help improve your english. I'll make an extra heading for it if you like?

Thanks a lot!:smile:but I'm a little confused,at first I thought names under the list were those who wanted to learn that language.Maybe I get it wrong?listing me under chinese means I speak Chinese or want to learn Chinese?:confused:
Reply 201
Original post by Le Récamier
English and French Fluent (both mother tongues.)
Chinese upper intermediate (currently living in Beijing.)
Spanish intermediate.
Japanese intermediate.
Korean elementary.

PS: Willing to chat to anyone, but preferably people interested in the last 4 languages. Ideally a spanish speaker cause that's the language I don't get to practice here.

Why are you in Beijing?
good thread, my knowledge in french is zilch but id love to listen to french. i might learn something here and there. i lived 12 years in germany and can speak it reasonably well, i could help out whenever i find spare time. my friend also wants to go to a trip to germany to study there for a year and he will need help too, we could do something together.
(edited 12 years ago)
Speaks fluent Madarin.

Hoping to practise French, intermediate level.
I'm about to study French at AS this September and really want to improve my speaking and listening
(predicted A(*) at GCSE if that helps)
Can i join :biggrin:?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 205
Original post by Demi-Jane
Thanks a lot!:smile:but I'm a little confused,at first I thought names under the list were those who wanted to learn that language.Maybe I get it wrong?listing me under chinese means I speak Chinese or want to learn Chinese?:confused:

Both.
eg
If you're looking for somebody speaking German, you'll have to look for natives or high level people in the German list.
If you want to help with German, you'll have to look for people in the German list who are intermediate or beginner.
Reply 206
Original post by Xurvi
Both.
eg
If you're looking for somebody speaking German, you'll have to look for natives or high level people in the German list.
If you want to help with German, you'll have to look for people in the German list who are intermediate or beginner.

Thanks!:biggrin:
Original post by jiayi930829
Speaks fluent Madarin.

oo i'd like to learn some bassssic mandarin..could you help me? :smile:
Reply 208
Original post by Demi-Jane

It's a mixture of both. The names are in rough order of ability with people who are fluent/native speakers/grew up speaking it/whatever towards the bottom, people who are learning from scratch or self taught at the top and people who have some knowledge already and are wanting to improve in the middle.

If I put you in the chinese list I will put you as speaking fluent (if you are fluent that is)

By the way, do you speak cantonese or mandarin?

Original post by Munchies-YumYum
good thread, my knowledge in french is zilch but id love to listen to french. i might learn something here and there. i lived 12 years in germany and can speak it reasonably well, i could help out whenever i find spare time. my friend also wants to go to a trip to germany to study there for a year and he will need help too, we could do something together.

Hello, I'm not sure what you mean about your friend - do you mean you could on skype at the same time to another person maybe? :smile:
Also shall I put you as wanting to learn french then? Thanks!

Original post by jiayi930829
Speaks fluent Madarin.

Hi, I'll add you now :smile:

Original post by Blob2491
I'm about to study French at AS this September and really want to improve my speaking and listening
(predicted A(*) at GCSE if that helps)
Can i join :biggrin:?

Hi, yes of course you can :smile: I shall add you now ^_^

GENERAL:
As most of you know, come september many people will be dropping their language or continuing to a higher level or completing their degree etc etc so many people will be changing the level they're working at e.g. gcse-->as level. This gives me an issue as I will have no idea who's continuing and who's not unless they tell me and even if they did it will take aaages to change all the entries. Does anyone have any ideas for what to do about this? :smile:
I'm slightly thinking about making this a society instead of having a list too because there may be quite a few people who signed up and who don't respond or are too busy now or have now dropped the language whereas in a society thingy it would be fairly easy to see who was actively still skyping people..what do you all think? Thanks for any feedback ^_^
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by emzaz

Hello, I'm not sure what you mean about your friend - do you mean you could on skype at the same time to another person maybe? :smile:

yes, it will be 3 people together in a conversation. how does this work out? 1o1 or many people together? put me on the french then only if its many people together, then I can just listen.
Reply 210
Original post by emzaz
It's a mixture of both. The names are in rough order of ability with people who are fluent/native speakers/grew up speaking it/whatever towards the bottom, people who are learning from scratch or self taught at the top and people who have some knowledge already and are wanting to improve in the middle.

If I put you in the chinese list I will put you as speaking fluent (if you are fluent that is)

By the way, do you speak cantonese or mandarin?

Hi, I'll add you now :smile:

Hi, yes of course you can :smile: I shall add you now ^_^

GENERAL:
As most of you know, come september many people will be dropping their language or continuing to a higher level or completing their degree etc etc so many people will be changing the level they're working at e.g. gcse-->as level. This gives me an issue as I will have no idea who's continuing and who's not unless they tell me and even if they did it will take aaages to change all the entries. Does anyone have any ideas for what to do about this? :smile:
I'm slightly thinking about making this a society instead of having a list too because there may be quite a few people who signed up and who don't respond or are too busy now or have now dropped the language whereas in a society thingy it would be fairly easy to see who was actively still skyping people..what do you all think? Thanks for any feedback ^_^

mandarin,fluent,Thanks!:biggrin:
Original post by jakemittle
oo i'd like to learn some bassssic mandarin..could you help me? :smile:

Of course, I'd love to. :smile: Name a time, and I'll see if I can be there. Did you add me on Skype yet?
Reply 212
Original post by emzaz
GENERAL:

I think you'll have to PM them and make sure, one by one, that their entry is updated...
Another way would be to actually reset the list. People who are interested or have an entry here probably are watching the thread so would see an announcement asking them to give you again their languages and levels. Those who are no longer interested won't see it and will get removed in the process.
Either way, I don't see an easy way of doing it unless you could make a group PM to ask everyone listed to update their info so I suppose a Society structure might be required (I'm not sure if a soc leader can do that to be honest and if they can't I don't see how creating a Soc would help...)
Hi I'm currently half way through my French GCSE and am currently achieving A's in my speaking but would like to push it up to an A* (as that's my predicted grade). Please can I join?
If anyone's interested in German, as a native speaker I guess I can help someone out here and there.
As for my skype name: Send me a PM.
Reply 215
Here I go...

Czech - fluent (native speaker)
Spanish - A2-ish, about to study at university
French - GCSE-ish
Modern Standard Arabic - passive knowledge
Javanese - beginner
Latin - beginner
Reply 216
mandarin,fluent,Thanks:D
French, AS Level about to go into A2 and wanting to practise and improve..
Reply 218
Firstly, major apoligies for being so late in updating! I've been away on holiday but I'm back now so yay.
I'm quoting you so you know you're in the process of being added and I'll put a message below you once I've finished. This also helps me 'cause I can copy and paste stuff and keep track of who I've done.

EDIT: Deleted the quotes - looked silly and I've added everyone now anyway.

Original post by Xurvi
I think you'll have to PM them and make sure, one by one, that their entry is updated...
Another way would be to actually reset the list. People who are interested or have an entry here probably are watching the thread so would see an announcement asking them to give you again their languages and levels. Those who are no longer interested won't see it and will get removed in the process.
Either way, I don't see an easy way of doing it unless you could make a group PM to ask everyone listed to update their info so I suppose a Society structure might be required (I'm not sure if a soc leader can do that to be honest and if they can't I don't see how creating a Soc would help...)

Oh dear - I don't fancy PMing every singly person too much!! I think I might reset the list but keep the original one too (but spoilered so it's hidden nicely away) so that I can move people across/rectify problems easily. Will keep people one who have been added from July onwards as I'll assume they're the same level and are continuing. Also, I might tell people who are new how to do the code so all I have to do is copy and paste it :P
What do you reckon? Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 219
Original post by emzaz
Oh dear - I don't fancy PMing every singly person too much!! I think I might reset the list but keep the original one too (but spoilered so it's hidden nicely away) so that I can move people across/rectify problems easily. Will keep people one who have been added from July onwards as I'll assume they're the same level and are continuing. Also, I might tell people who are new how to do the code so all I have to do is copy and paste it :P
What do you reckon? Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:

Yeah, keeping the old list for reference sounds like a good idea.

There is hardly any discussion at the moment but I suppose you could try and promulgate it, and maybe ask new people to PM you to get added instead of posting here.
Like asking people to write about their own skype experience, maybe try to schedule a skype session with more than only 2 people, this kind of stuff - though to be fair I'm not sure if there would be a lot of people who would do that, and maybe the constant posting of new people bumping the thread helps it being visible (even though it's stickied)
- or make a society with two associated threads, this one for the list and applications, and another for the discussions and scheduling of sessions?

edit : a couple things regarding the list:
- one member for Mandarin was listed outside the spoiler for Chinese
- Portuguese isn't spelled Portugeuse :p:
- I think a list for English would be nice to have as well since I believe some members native of non-English speaking countries wanted to practise their English too
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending