Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Skype Language Learning Society! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Erm When are we actually going to do this?? Do i just add anyone and then they will teach me??

ReputationRep:
    Anyone learning Spanish add me on Skype, Kickingkat88

This thread is awesome!

I would like to learn some Spanish - I'm teaching myself, so there is no rush and no test to pass. My goal is simply to be able to hold an interesting conversation with somebody in spanish. Right now, I would definitely call myself a beginner. European spanish would be preferred, but I'll happily learn from someone from latin america as well.

Oh and I'm more than happy to help somebody with english if they're willing to help me with spanish. I'm fluent in it, obviously, it's my mother tongue.

If anyones interested just reply or PM me and we can skype.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing GCSEs in Swahili, but I live in Tanzania and I've been speaking it for all my life, so I'm pretty fluent. I'd love to help out, if anyone needs Swahili help! (But I'll mostly be on text-chat... Time is an issue!)
    I'm also studying Arabic, but I need help on that front, so I'll have to contact someone on the list

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would love to do be able to practice my speaking and listening. It is my main downfall really. I am predicted an A* in listening and A's in reading and writing but a B in speaking. So my overall grade may be affected by my speaking therefore this will be beneficial.

I am at GCSE level and I started it in Year 7. Do I send you my skype through PM?

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying French, Spanish and Italian this coming year, Spanish and Italian both from beginners and French as post A-level, would love if there was anyone I could practice with once the semester starts my Skype is jared.trunks

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Just remind you, I'm Spanish and I'd like to practice some English with some natives so we could teach each other, 50/50 English/Spanish.
    What do you think about?
    I don't really care about the way... Skype, e-mail, private message... I just want to practice a bit! lol
    Anyway, my Skype I.D is: learning2english

See you!

ReputationRep:
    Salut tout le mond! Je suis une étudiante anglaise à l'université d'Edimbourg, et je voudrais beaucoup pratiquer mon français écrit et parlé. J'aime envoyer les lettres aussi, meme si ça prend un peu de temps. J'étudie français seulement depuis une anné, et j'étudie italien depuis deux annés.

Ciao a tutti, sono una studentessa inglese all'università di Edimburgo e mi piacerebbe fare pratica con il mio italiano, sia con lettere o skype. Studio italiano da due anni ma ho il vantaggio che il mio findanzato è italiano, quindi faccio pratica ogni giorno. Mi piace parlare con tante altre persone comunque, e ho bisogno di migliorare il mio vocabolario.

Hey everyone. I'm an English student at the university of Edinburgh, whilst I'd like to practice my French and Italian, I'd also be happy to help other students with their English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)
    Salut tout le mond! Je suis une étudiante anglaise à l'université d'Edimbourg, et je voudrais beaucoup pratiquer mon français écrit et parlé. J'aime envoyer les lettres aussi, meme si ça prend un peu de temps. J'étudie français seulement depuis une anné, et j'étudie italien depuis deux annés.

Ciao a tutti, sono una studentessa inglese all'università di Edimburgo e mi piacerebbe fare pratica con il mio italiano, sia con lettere o skype. Studio italiano da due anni ma ho il vantaggio che il mio findanzato è italiano, quindi faccio pratica ogni giorno. Mi piace parlare con tante altre persone comunque, e ho bisogno di migliorare il mio vocabolario.

Hey everyone. I'm an English student at the university of Edinburgh, whilst I'd like to practice my French and Italian, I'd also be happy to help other students with their English.
    Hey I've been studying French for approximately 10 years now and I am starting my course at university to continue French next week, I am also studying Italian from beginning. I would love to practice my languages with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jtrunks)
    Hey I've been studying French for approximately 10 years now and I am starting my course at university to continue French next week, I am also studying Italian from beginning. I would love to practice my languages with you

Hello! I am Italian and I like your thread. I am a Skype geek as I use it all the time for language purposes (Italian classes) and for keeping in touch.

I read that some of you are into Italian. I have created a blog about the Italian language and culture, it's called italianencounter.com. If you feel like going through the posts, you might find something interesting and you may hopefully want to leave a comment. I would love you to stop by. Thank you and good luck with Italian

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to improve my french (AS level) and would love to help anyone with their english (you don't have to know french).

PM me for skype details

ReputationRep:
    I am learning Spanish at the moment.
    Level: Beginner but always improving so maybe by the time I will be put on the list I will even be A2

ReputationRep:
    Dear Earthlings,

I am looking to better my knowledge in some of your languages that I deem to be most useful to myself. I would like to further my basic understanding in French, Dutch, German, Spanish and British Sign Language. Please contact me if you would like to volunteer your time to aiding my plight. Those who come forward will be spared when the inevitable invasion of your planet becomes a reality.

Now tremble before my greatness as you converse with me on Skype.

I can't wait until I am C1 in both French and German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platorepublic)
    I can't wait until I am C1 in both French and German.
    Are you working on them at the same time...? GL

(Original post by THESHade)
    Are you working on them at the same time...? GL
    Well, I have basic knowledge of both languages (since I did them at school). But now I am not actually having lessons on either language, just trying to absorb as much as possible, and if I get the opportunity to get good at either (e.g. a job offer at a German or French speaking country), I will grab it!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am still interested in skype learning sessions, however my level of Spanish is currently at C1. An update would be lovely, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xurvi)
    I'm a little sceptical.

It's a good idea on paper, but what do you expect to learn if you're speaking with people of your level or not-so-better than you? There are no fluent people in your list as far as I'm aware, and I'm afraid one would get used to do errors because of this.

Even on TSR sometimes people reply in a thread and all seem to agree on the translation or grammar one has posted, despite it being sometimes *very* wrong.

So I guess you'd need fluent people to talk to you? But then it takes time to correct someone decently. I remember spending sometimes one hour or more to check some text that was submitted here, because I had to make sure I was correct, I had to understand the grammar behind it (because I speak correctly by habit but there are loads of rules I forgot), and then I had to explain it in a clear, concise and educational way.

While the learner is happy to spend this time on learning, I know that I'd much rather revise my Japanese for my test tomorrow than "waste" time teaching. Writing is fine, I write when I can and I'm not asked to always check everything that people ask on this subforum (thank god) but speaking suggests similar availability (hai timezones, good thing we're almost all GMT or GMT+1) of both the learner and the teacher.

Then again, I've been told I was being overly negative during the last two days. What I think is severly lacking anyway is: fluent people/natives, availability of the members. The ideal case would be that couples emerge: ie if one is to be taught French by a French person, they should return the favour by teaching English or whatever language they're fluent in. So we have a real interaction and both get something out of it.

I know this post was a year ago, but although I see your point, I need to explain from a beginner's point of view.

For me, for the level I am currently at, grammar is not yet my main priority. If I were to go into a restaurant and order food, I have no problem if what I say equates to the grammatical equivalent of "want cheese burger" as long as they understand me. Now I know that bad habits need to be corrected before they become too ingrained in your brain, but I'm trying to extend my vocabulary to learn more verbs and nouns so that I can cover more situations.

Correct grammar will eventually come when you are not focusing on the nouns and verbs, because you already know what they mean. To begin with, when translating a sentence, a person searches for these words and then fills in the gaps. With a better grasp of verbs and nouns, the processing in your mind becomes quicker, and frees up more space for tense and sentence structure.

Practicing with other beginners is more about repetition. Nobody looks at a list of words and then instantly remembers all of them. You have to go back to them several times and apply learning techniques that work best for you. If I'm talking to someone else and all we are saying is basic phrases like "What is your name?", "How are you?", "Where do you come from?", "How old are you?", "Can I please have..." etc. that's working on my ability to correctly recall the phrases and words, and also helping to shape my pronunciation. By speaking, repeating the phrases, you are able to work your lips and tongue around the words.

Obviously one needs learning aides, and you wouldn't hope to progress much higher without the help of someone far more fluent than you, but for some it is first and foremost about attaining a basic level of competency, although a little limited, free from stutters and long pauses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRealDarthVader)
    I know this post was a year ago, but although I see your point, I need to explain from a beginner's point of view.

For me, for the level I am currently at, grammar is not yet my main priority. If I were to go into a restaurant and order food, I have no problem if what I say equates to the grammatical equivalent of "want cheese burger" as long as they understand me. Now I know that bad habits need to be corrected before they become too ingrained in your brain, but I'm trying to extend my vocabulary to learn more verbs and nouns so that I can cover more situations.

Correct grammar will eventually come when you are not focusing on the nouns and verbs, because you already know what they mean. To begin with, when translating a sentence, a person searches for these words and then fills in the gaps. With a better grasp of verbs and nouns, the processing in your mind becomes quicker, and frees up more space for tense and sentence structure.

Practicing with other beginners is more about repetition. Nobody looks at a list of words and then instantly remembers all of them. You have to go back to them several times and apply learning techniques that work best for you. If I'm talking to someone else and all we are saying is basic phrases like "What is your name?", "How are you?", "Where do you come from?", "How old are you?", "Can I please have..." etc. that's working on my ability to correctly recall the phrases and words, and also helping to shape my pronunciation. By speaking, repeating the phrases, you are able to work your lips and tongue around the words.

Obviously one needs learning aides, and you wouldn't hope to progress much higher without the help of someone far more fluent than you, but for some it is first and foremost about attaining a basic level of competency, although a little limited, free from stutters and long pauses.
    Would you like to practice? I am an A/A* GCSE FRENCH student. I also am predicted A* for gcse English. I am happy to help strengthen your knowledge and I should probably get something out of it to!

ReputationRep:
    Spanish! Uhm I'm Spanish SL though I don't think I've actually retained any of the lessons taught in class.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 15, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.