Turn on thread page Beta

Squatting using smith machine? watch

ReputationRep:
    I joined a gym the other day, and it appears they only have a smith machine to squat with an no cage thingy. It looks pretty crap to be honest. Is it even worth doing because I've heard it's not worth it? Are there any weight machines that are actually worth using in a gym?

ReputationRep:
    Smith machines are good for squats, a lot safer than freeweight as you can keep your back straight and dont have to stabilise the bar yourself.

They are very similar to scoobys skateboard squats which are a a very good exercises as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D7Hv4L1F60

ReputationRep:
    I learnt to squat on a Smiths. Although you can use it, the fact that you don't have to put in as much effort to remain stable means you don't work quite as hard at the same weight you would use off a rack... there are some guys at the gym I go who use the Smiths to squat anyway. Some people will probably get on with it and others won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I learnt to squat on a Smiths. Although you can use it, the fact that you don't have to put in as much effort to remain stable means you don't work quite as hard at the same weight you would use off a rack... there are some guys at the gym I go who use the Smiths to squat anyway. Some people will probably get on with it and others won't.
    Ok, thanks. What weight did you start on? I imagine (being a lad) I'm far stronger but an estimate would be nice Also is changing the weights hard lol, and is there anything else I have to worry about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Ok, thanks. What weight did you start on? I imagine (being a lad) I'm far stronger but an estimate would be nice Also is changing the weights hard lol, and is there anything else I have to worry about?
    Well when I first learnt I just had the bar as my technique was poor and my squat was shallow but I gradually worked my way up to 70kg - I've not used the Smith since about 30kg (didn't wana take up the squat rack when blokes who were squatting 100+ were queuing) but that's preference and I'd still use the Smith if the squat rack was unavailable. Once you've secured the bar chucking the plates on is no more difficult than doing it at the squat rack; I see plenty using it as an alternative.

Why don't you have a look at what others are doing? Give it a try and if it's rubbish then at least you've tried. Might be better than nothing for the time being, unless you have somewhere else to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Well when I first learnt I just had the bar as my technique was poor and my squat was shallow but I gradually worked my way up to 70kg - I've not used the Smith since about 30kg (didn't wana take up the squat rack when blokes who were squatting 100+ were queuing) but that's preference and I'd still use the Smith if the squat rack was unavailable. Once you've secured the bar chucking the plates on is no more difficult than doing it at the squat rack; I see plenty using it as an alternative.

Why don't you have a look at what others are doing? Give it a try and if it's rubbish then at least you've tried. Might be better than nothing for the time being, unless you have somewhere else to go?
    Noone was using it when I was there. Gonna go early tomorrow and check everything out at my own pace.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you join a gym without checking out what equipment it has first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    I joined a gym the other day, and it appears they only have a smith machine to squat with an no cage thingy. It looks pretty crap to be honest. Is it even worth doing because I've heard it's not worth it? Are there any weight machines that are actually worth using in a gym?
    Better than nothing, worse than joining a real gym.

Machines have their place, but that place is supplementary to the main barbell exercises.

ReputationRep:
    Better than nothing but its an inferior exercise to a freeweight squat as you will not develop your stableizer muscles or your core properly and you won't have full range of movement

ReputationRep:
    Same as what A_T has stated.

Is it better than nothing. However, using a rack lets you learn how to stabilize yourself whilst having added weight on your shoulders, back and legs. In my opinion a smith machine is a great tool for other workouts, but should always be second choice when doing squats.

ReputationRep:
    proper squats > smith machine squats > leg press > not doing legs at all.

ReputationRep:
    Personally id do bulgarian split squats and clean the barbell on to my back. I swear iv read theres 42% less muscle activity doing smith squars compared to free squats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee R)
    Same as what A_T has stated.

Is it better than nothing. However, using a rack lets you learn how to stabilize yourself whilst having added weight on your shoulders, back and legs. In my opinion a smith machine is a great tool for other workouts, but should always be second choice when doing squats.
    What other work-outs mate?The Smith machine may be good for me cause I have a dodgy right ankle and thus a weaker right side in general. I didn't go to the gym today but defo will tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Smith machines are there to hang your coat on, nothing more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Smith machines are there to hang your coat on, nothing more
    Lol. I watched some guy squatting using the smith machine before I braved it and did my first squat. Quite frankly it looks hideous using the smith machine. I watched that guy and then myself in the mirror and It just looked really stupid and not what the machine is designed for as others have stated. My quads feel like they've been worked and I have a nasty bump on the back of my neck where I obviously mis-placed the bar :rolleyes:
    (However I noticed a squat rack round the corner so will use that soonish)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.