Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The ultimate Roast meat? watch

• View Poll Results: what meat does it for you?
    Roast chicken or turkey
    26.67%
    Roast lamb
    11.11%
    Roast beef
    35.56%
    Roast pork
    20.00%
    Roast game
    2.22%
    Nut roast/vegetarian
    2.22%
    other
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    It's a Sunday, I'm in England, it's just past noon..it's time for tradition and the great British roast! But, everyone seems to interpret the perfect, complete and ULTIMATE roast dinner so differently. I think the classic/original is probably considered to be roast beef, but not being the biggest fan of chewing my meat too much, it's not my favourite.

For me, a roast just simply isn't a roast without roasted lamb! Ideally, I'd like that lamb to be minted too. And paired with goose-fat roast tats, yorkie puds, sausage meat stuffing, green beans, carrots and plenty of cauliflower and broccoli cheese!

But what is the most popular roast meat, and what do we like with it?

ReputationRep:
    M'dear, this thread was created a few days back:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1579999

albeit, without such a delicious picture in the first post...

ReputationRep:
    :erm: we have salmon on some sundays :cry:

but on the rarer occasion, roast lamb or duck. god, i'm so hungry now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    M'dear, this thread was created a few days back:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1579999

albeit, without such a delicious picture in the first post...
    Damn, didn't see that. And less options too!

ReputationRep:
    Its GOT to be beef!! I absolutely love it, but maybe thats only cos we always have roast chicken in our house (the best way to cook a chicken imo). For christmas though it cant be anything other than turkey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Damn, didn't see that. And less options too!
    Keep with this one it's better. Ill be championing Camp Pork.

:coma:

ReputationRep:
    Gammon! ...gammon.

ReputationRep:
    Pork.

ReputationRep:
    Beeeeeef!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sim188)
    Keep with this one it's better. Ill be championing Camp Pork.

:coma:
    That pork looks CRACKLING!

ReputationRep:
    Beef. I'm not a massive fan of roast pork, or lamb come to think of it.

Then chicken I suppose. I've had venison in burgers, but it has a weird taste, I can't imagine it roasted lol.

ReputationRep:
    Roast Beef is the way to go for me, as long as it's not how my mum makes it; so overcooked, it's like slices of chewy, grey coaster (as she always cremates any and all of her meat).

Chicken is delicious, but I think of it as more of an everyday kinda thing; I always regard red meat as more "decadent" somehow, so it's a better fit for a Sunday Roast. Fish is my overall favourite meat category, but somehow, beef, venison and the like just seem more... Sunday Dinner to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Roast Beef is the way to go for me, as long as it's not how my mum makes it; so overcooked, it's like slices of chewy, grey coaster (as she always cremates any and all of her meat).

Chicken is delicious, but I think of it as more of an everyday kinda thing; I always regard red meat as more "decadent" somehow, so it's a better fit for a Sunday Roast. Fish is my overall favourite meat category, but somehow, beef, venison and the like just seem more... Sunday Dinner to me.
    I get what you're saying. Beef is almost fitting to the theatre that comes with Sunday Dinner. Be it delicious, if I were to be faced with a plate of grilled haddock or salmon with my veg, I'd just feel...weird. Like I was betraying tradition almost!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5lhjYzbfco

ReputationRep:
    Where's the duck?

ReputationRep:
    Aw man i cant choose. I love pork, love lamb, love chicken. Game is good too, duck is fab. I dont really enjoy beef though, usually dry and chewy.

ReputationRep:
    So much roast meat is way overcooked and incredibly disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    Roast beef for me, followed by chicken. I like it when the beef is cut quite thin.

ReputationRep:
    Roast beef although gammon or roast chicken is nice (especially the crispy skin of the roast chicken)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.