Turn on thread page Beta

Booking Flights Through 3rd Parties (Lastminute, Opodo, Ebookers, etc.) watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done this? I'm looking at return flights from Heathrow to New York and the likes of lastminute.com and Opodo have flights that are over £100 cheaper than the exact same flights booked through the actual airline. Just seems too good an offer to be real :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have done, and this is often the case. Airlines give travel agents special limited deals on flights, they rely on these to fill up planes.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, cheers :yy:

Lastminute I trust as it's a proper company that I've booked hotels with before, the others I admit to never having come across before so was worried they might be a bit dubious.

ReputationRep:
    Opodo is not dubious :p:

ReputationRep:
    Also try websites like http://www.skyscanner.net. Booked through these probably 6 or 7 times in the past year or so and had no problems whatsoever. Enjoy the cheap flights!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Also try websites like http://www.skyscanner.net. Booked through these probably 6 or 7 times in the past year or so and had no problems whatsoever. Enjoy the cheap flights!
    Yeah that's the site I use, and why the cheapest flights given come from these third party sites. www.kayak.co.uk seems more user friendly as you can easily compare date changes which skyscanner makes a hash of.

Glad to see some people have used them though, should save a fair bit of my funds doing it this way
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Yeah that's the site I use, and why the cheapest flights given come from these third party sites.
    Bear in mind that this is not always true.

Sometimes these searches do not have certain flights (for example, trying to fly to the caribbean two separate searches said a 20+hour stop in JFK was compulsory or pay £1500. Go to BA website and the exact flight we wanted was there for just £920 direct (when even the cheapest via JFK flights were like £880).

Shop around is the moral of the story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Bear in mind that this is not always true.

Sometimes these searches do not have certain flights (for example, trying to fly to the caribbean two separate searches said a 20+hour stop in JFK was compulsory or pay £1500. Go to BA website and the exact flight we wanted was there for just £920 direct (when even the cheapest via JFK flights were like £880).

Shop around is the moral of the story.
    I meant when I compare the flight from lastminute with the exact same flight at the airline, often the lastminute flight comes out significantly cheaper (not always). That's why I'm using multiple screen scrapers too, these airlines will not defeat whichever nerds put these tools together :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I've booked via Expedia, Ebookers, Lastminute, hotels.com, laterooms and all have been fine

ReputationRep:
    I found this site a few months ago, www.directflights.com, so easy and simple to use and doesn’t have all the other rubbish on the home page or send you round a million pages to get to the one you want!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.