Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm planning on doing double maths and triple science at A-Level, which I don't mind because I enjoy the subjects, and have looked briefly at some of the modules(just on online revision sites), and they seem manageable.

But I was reading the thread entitled, 'Hardest A-Levels' and a lot of people are complaining about the coursework for Chemistry. I wasn't even aware that science A-Leves had coursework, and I've just checked on the college-I've-applied-to's site and it turns out all three science A-Levels do. Well. Actually, it says practical assessment for physics and biology but yeah.

I'm not sure what exam boards chemistry and physics are on, but I know biology is on AQA, and I was just wondering what the coursework's like?

For Chemistry it says, 'Practical Coursework', for Biology it says, 'Practical Work' and for Physics it says the same as Biology(in addition to written examinations for all of them).

I'm really not much of a practical person though, so I'm just wondering how tedious it is? Im mainly concerned with Biology because from what I've read the exams are pretty tedious and don't test on the actual content, and sometimes I mess up on exam technique, even though I know the answer. But it's the one I find easiest. But if the coursework/practicals are a pain then I think I'll but do 4.

Thanks for any feedback on any of the coursework/practical work/whatever. Sorry for being a bit all over the place, the search function seems to be quite temperamental, and as I said, I don't know which exam board I'll be on so I can't really Google for syllabuses.

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    My chemistry has practical assessments which we have to do about 5 of under 'exam' conditions :P during lesson time. But biology is like gcse coursework but 2000 words. And maths doesn't have c/w til year 13 but my 6h form usually does it after the year 12 summer exams.

Some of the science coursework is tedious if you have to do loads of repeats. But what we sometimes do in biology is make sure everyone uses the same conditions and variables etc and use each others data as repeats and then if someone c0cks up, there's can be the outliers.

Plus with biology we have these things called 'core practicals' they're not coursework but we usually have to write them up anyway. But they're relevant to the course and might be an example for proving a theory or demonstrating osmosis etc and the exam could ask you about your method or an example to show how xxx works and you have to write about the core practicals.

ReputationRep:
    I did OCR Biology & Chemistry at AS last year and then dropped Chemistry but carried on with Biology for A2. I found the practical assessments pretty easy for Biology and ended up getting an A in the coursework, and I found the Chemistry ones more challenging (I found everything about Chemistry difficult haha) but still managed to somehow get a C in the coursework even though I didn't understand anything and got a U overall
    Hope that gave you some sort of idea, feel free to ask questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nix-j-c)
    My chemistry has practical assessments which we have to do about 5 of under 'exam' conditions :P during lesson time. But biology is like gcse coursework but 2000 words. And maths doesn't have c/w til year 13 but my 6h form usually does it after the year 12 summer exams.

Some of the science coursework is tedious if you have to do loads of repeats. But what we sometimes do in biology is make sure everyone uses the same conditions and variables etc and use each others data as repeats and then if someone c0coks up, there's can be the outliers.
    Is it stressful and do you require good coordination and stuff? I know it probably sounds a bit of a silly question, but after a year and a half of a design technology GCSE(Graphics, which is the least practical and even then I hate it and find it frustrating) I'm just really reluctant.

Or is it just like put x ml into test tube y?

Is it just a lot like the ISA's? Because I'm okay with them and got 100% on both. Also, do you have to work in groups? I'm not keen on group work, but I guess I'm just being picky now.

According to the college's site there isn't any coursework for maths and f. maths under the exam board they're doing ^_^.

Sorry to be bombarding you with questions, don't feel obligated to reply if you don't know how to respond :P.

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess6893)
    I did OCR Biology & Chemistry at AS last year and then dropped Chemistry but carried on with Biology for A2. I found the practical assessments pretty easy for Biology and ended up getting an A in the coursework, and I found the Chemistry ones more challenging (I found everything about Chemistry difficult haha) but still managed to somehow get a C in the coursework even though I didn't understand anything and got a U overall
    Hope that gave you some sort of idea, feel free to ask questions
    Thanks for the response .

I'm just wondering what the practicals are? And what the coursework is like? Do you just take notes of everything you do and then write up a conclusion?

And does it mean prolonged periods of group work?

Don't feel obligated to reply if you don't know how to respond ^_^.

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Is it stressful and do you require good coordination and stuff? I know it probably sounds a bit of a silly question, but after a year and a half of a design technology GCSE(Graphics, which is the least practical and even then I hate it and find it frustrating) I'm just really reluctant.

Is it just a lot like the ISA's? Because I'm okay with them and got 100% on both. Also, do you have to work in groups? I'm not keen on group work, but I guess I'm just being picky now.

According to the college's site there isn't any coursework for maths and f. maths under the exam board they're doing ^_^.

Sorry to be bombarding you with questions, don't feel obligated to reply if you don't know how to respond :P.

EMZ=]
    For the chemsitry, you're given a booklet with a brief and list of equipment needed then step by step instructions with questions or tables you have to fill in, as you go along.

There's ahrdly any of the experiments you need to be in pairs or groups for but sometimes I can imagine it being a lot fo a faff if you have to do everything yourself, but in my biology and chemistry, apart from the practical assessments we can usually pick if we want to be on our own or in pairs unless there's not enough equipment to go round everyone etc etc

I've never done the ISA thing . . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)

EMZ=]
    Hi,

Regarding Biology coursework, it is quite like an ISA although the exam board I'm doing (OCR) says you do 2 experiments and then 3 written papers. They're OK but quite specific, however the good thing is, if you mess up one paper you don't have to redo the whole ISA: you can just do that part again on a different ISA.

I don't have Maths coursework (OCR, non MEI) however I know the MEI course does, so it may be worth checking with your teachers.

For Biology, you work on your own in 'exam conditions'....the instructions were really clear about what you had to do as well which was nice.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nix-j-c)
    For the chemsitry, you're given a booklet with a brief and list of equipment needed then step by step instructions with questions or tables you have to fill in, as you go along.

There's ahrdly any of the experiments you need to be in pairs or groups for but sometimes I can imagine it being a lot fo a faff if you have to do everything yourself, but in my biology and chemistry, apart from the practical assessments we can usually pick if we want to be on our own or in pairs unless there's not enough equipment to go round everyone etc etc

I've never done the ISA thing . . .
    Oh, that should be fine . Thanks.

It's just verbal instructions really were I don't understand, and at times I find it stressful to work in groups.

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanstalkgirl_24)
    Hi,

Regarding Biology coursework, it is quite like an ISA although the exam board I'm doing (OCR) says you do 2 experiments and then 3 written papers. They're OK but quite specific, however the good thing is, if you mess up one paper you don't have to redo the whole ISA: you can just do that part again on a different ISA.

I don't have Maths coursework (OCR, non MEI) however I know the MEI course does, so it may be worth checking with your teachers.

For Biology, you work on your own in 'exam conditions'....the instructions were really clear about what you had to do as well which was nice.

Hope this helps.
    Oh right, thanks . The instructions seem ideal tbh since I'm fine when I have something to read from, but hopeless when it's verbal instructions, and I prefer working on my own for stuff like that .

Very informative .

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Oh, that should be fine . Thanks.

It's just verbal instructions really were I don't understand, and at times I find it stressful to work in groups.

EMZ=]
    Your welcome. I'm useless if the teacher just says 'goes do this experiment to find out x' i have to plan it and if i got instructions even better.

If you have any other questions, just quote or PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    Thanks for the response .

I'm just wondering what the practicals are? And what the coursework is like? Do you just take notes of everything you do and then write up a conclusion?

And does it mean prolonged periods of group work?

Don't feel obligated to reply if you don't know how to respond ^_^.

EMZ=]
    I think the coursework I did is different to what the other person who replied to this thread is doing, so I guess it depends on the exam board But with both Biology & Chemistry the assessed practical coursework is 30% of the overall grade each year, and the other 70% comes from January & June exams. Basically, there's 3 different types of practical; Qualitative(10marks), Quantitative(10marks) & Evaluative(20marks) and you get 2 shots at each one, and they take the overall best mark from each of those practicals to give your final grade.

I just found an example of one of the practical papers on OCR's website if you want to have a look
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/asses..._qual_task.pdf

It wasn't group work though, we just carry out practicals like we usually would in class but slightly quieter and by ourselves :P
    And it wasn't so much taking notes and then writing them up like it was at GCSE, it was just practicals based on what we'd learnt and then drawing up a table in the exam paper and answering a few questions

ReputationRep:
    Oooh something else that I forgot to add, all you have to do is follow instructions in the paper, it's pretty much like following a recipe

ReputationRep:
    I think the coursework I did is different to what the other person who replied to this thread is doing, so I guess it depends on the exam board But with both Biology & Chemistry the assessed practical coursework is 30% of the overall grade each year, and the other 70% comes from January & June exams. Basically, there's 3 different types of practical; Qualitative(10marks), Quantitative(10marks) & Evaluative(20marks) and you get 2 shots at each one, and they take the overall best mark from each of those practicals to give your final grade.

I just found an example of one of the practical papers on OCR's website if you want to have a look
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/asses..._qual_task.pdf

It wasn't group work though, we just carry out practicals like we usually would in class but slightly quieter and by ourselves :P
    And it wasn't so much taking notes and then writing them up like it was at GCSE, it was just practicals based on what we'd learnt and then drawing up a table in the exam paper and answering a few questions
    Oooh something else that I forgot to add, all you have to do is follow instructions in the paper, it's pretty much like following a recipe
    Thanks for the reply .

On the site it says 20% c/w and 80% written examination.

Thanks for the past paper, it's given be a good idea . Reading through it now, it doesn't seem so bad actually. I guess it's just ambiguity or verbal instructions that I struggle with when it comes to practicals.

And that's cool, I'm glad to hear that it's not group work .

Ah okay awesome .

Has helped a lot ^_^.

--
    Out of interest does anyone know much about physics coursework? Or is it similar to bio/chem?

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess271)
    does anyone know what was on the evaluation for the f213 quantitative onion cell test?
    if you do know please can you tell me thanks xxx
    You can't talk about it on here, as it's still a 'live' exam paper: you'll be banned. Sorry to disappoint, but otherwise it puts you at an unfair advantage over other people.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.