Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Haven't done this since AS and need some help.

I have to convert Propene into:

a.) CH3CH(OH)CH3 - Add HCl followed by NaOH
    b.) CH3COCH3 - Heat part a under eflux with dilute sulfuric acid and potassium dichromate VI
    c.) CH3C(OH)(CN)CH3 - add KCN and HCN to part b at pH 8
    d.) (CH3)2CHCN - ??? All I need to do here is replace the hydroxyl group in part C with a Hydrogen and forgot how to do that
    e.) (CH3)2CHCH2NH2 - Part d + LiAlH4 in dry ether and then hydrolyse with sulfuric acid
    f.) CH3CH(OH)CH2OH - Really stumped by this one :confused:

Any help on part d and f will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)
    Haven't done this since AS and need some help.

I have to convert Propene into:

a.) CH3CH(OH)CH3 - Add HCl followed by NaOH
    b.) CH3COCH3 - Heat part a under eflux with dilute sulfuric acid and potassium dichromate VI
    c.) CH3C(OH)(CN)CH3 - add KCN and HCN to part b at pH 8
    d.) (CH3)2CHCN - ??? All I need to do here is replace the hydroxyl group in part C with a Hydrogen and forgot how to do that
    e.) (CH3)2CHCH2NH2 - Part d + LiAlH4 in dry ether and then hydrolyse with sulfuric acid
    f.) CH3CH(OH)CH2OH - Really stumped by this one :confused:

Any help on part d and f will be appreciated.
    (f) this is a dihydroxylation. You can use,
    http://www.organic-chemistry.org/syn...1O/diols2.shtm

(d) is simpler than you thought. add HCN across alkene, simple markovnikov rule puts H on the terminal alkene leaving you secondary carbocation and CN- adds in.
    Going from (c) to (d) is hard because cyanohydrin(species in c) is reversible with the keto form in acid, so not really a good starting point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.