Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've calculated the enthalpy change of solution (dissolving) of an organic molecule in water to be +0.013 KJmol-1 in my lab experiment .. is this realistic? The wikipedia examples of enthalpy change of solution seem to be much much larger! But they're for inorganic/ionic compounds so I'm not sure if that's why.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyslut27)
    I've calculated the enthalpy change of solution (dissolving) of an organic molecule in water to be +0.013 KJmol-1 in my lab experiment .. is this realistic? The wikipedia examples of enthalpy change of solution seem to be much much larger! But they're for inorganic/ionic compounds so I'm not sure if that's why.

Thank you
    ermm, solvation of ionic compound in water is always exothermic due to hydration enthalpy dominating over lattice enthalpy.

but for organic compound, they shouldn't even be soluble in water in the first place, hence you tend to phase out aqueous and organic layer quite easily in labs. in the case they do, it tends to be the case of hydrogen bonding assisted or any other hydrophilic group that aids solvation. so it makes sense to have small value there.

but hey, i can't really tell if you don't tell me what molecule you have got.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by shengoc)
    ermm, solvation of ionic compound in water is always exothermic due to hydration enthalpy dominating over lattice enthalpy.

This is not correct.

Several ammonium salts, iodides and others have endothermic enthalpies of solution...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    This is not correct.

Several ammonium salts, iodides and others have endothermic enthalpies of solution...
    ah, those experiments that have flasks stuck on wooden plaque, classic! my bad.

ReputationRep:

but for organic compound, they shouldn't even be soluble in water in the first place, hence you tend to phase out aqueous and organic layer quite easily in labs. in the case they do, it tends to be the case of hydrogen bonding assisted or any other hydrophilic group that aids solvation. so it makes sense to have small value there.

but hey, i can't really tell if you don't tell me what molecule you have got.
    oops, sorry I used potassium hyrdogen tartrate so it is an organic molecule and sparingly soluble although it does have an ionic bond (the potassium) and several polar regions due to the OH groups. so I understand why it's small... but POSITIVE? aahh i thought it should be exothermic for the reasons you say..

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    ah, those experiments that have flasks stuck on wooden plaque, classic! my bad.
    aaarrrghhhh!!!
    :angry:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.