The Student Room Group

Opinions on these A-Levels? Either become an Airline Pilot or go into Business.

I REALLY REALLY want to be a commercial airline pilot, however, with the current state of the market and the sheer cost of training, (:mad:) I have decided to keep my doors open, especially because there is no specific A-Levels needed to be a pilot, (:biggrin:) and find something else that I could do as a career that I enjoy, and then train to become a pilot.

I have chosen:
- English Language
- Physics
- Business Studies
- Sociology
and then I'll drop one after the first year and just leave it as an AS.

What do you guys think to these?
Original post by Omlaaay
I REALLY REALLY want to be a commercial airline pilot, however, with the current state of the market and the sheer cost of training, (:mad:) I have decided to keep my doors open, especially because there is no specific A-Levels needed to be a pilot, (:biggrin:) and find something else that I could do as a career that I enjoy, and then train to become a pilot.

I have chosen:
- English Language
- Physics
- Business Studies
- Sociology

The only strong subject there is physics. I would recommend doing history instead of sociology and literature instead of language, then you would have some good A-levels. However, even business studies is slightly frowned on by employers/universities; economics is seen as a superior alternative.
Original post by Omlaaay

I have chosen:
- English Language
- Physics
- Business Studies
- Sociology

Business studies is really not a good A level to have. It's considered as a very low and easy A level. Maths is really important for becoming a pilot so swap business for Maths.
Reply 3
I was going to say that too. I think maths is mega important for your career choice. I took sociology for GCSE andIi think that it is a good subject but im not sure just how relevant it is to being a pilot. I'd say take
*maths
*bussiness
*physics
*english language

Good luck to you :biggrin:
Reply 4
English Language and Physics will both be helpful, but you should consider dropping Business Studies for Economics perhaps as it is not respected by many universities, however if you are doing Physics then studying Maths will make it much easier and open more doors in both of those careers. For what you wish to do Language would be more appropriate an A Level than Literature so keep to that too. If you wish to do Sociology it is worth dropping it after AS or continuing it as a 4th A Level if you want to study at a top institution.
English language is fine. People in my lang group have got into Exeter, Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, it just depends what other subjects you're taking it with. If I were you I would take Economics instead of Business if you can because it's regarded as a stronger subject. If you can't do economics then do maths - it will help with your physics as well. If you did maths/economics and physics then unis would really not be concerned that you've done language instead of lit.
Reply 6
Physics,English Socio is good business is ****.
Reply 7
You could join the RAF, although they're having big cutbacks on pilot training.
Reply 8
Maths to A-Level is certainly not important if you want to become a pilot in the future, it would help in your ATPLs, but the maths in those is GCSE standard anyway.

Do not choose matchs unless you are particularly good at it, choose those that you are good at and have the best chances of attaining high grades for.

Quick Reply

Latest