Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Do You Guys Motivate Yourselves? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to get myself fit and a bit stronger. I started out just doing around 100 or so press ups a day, 500 sit ups and some dumbbell curls, and went running twice a week. That was 3 months ago. Now, though, I've upped the intensity and progressed to doing crunches and reverse sit ups, dips and tricep curls, heavier curls as well as wrist curls, leg raises, shoulder weights (go towards ceiling- not sure of correct name) and arm rotations (arms at side, fast golf balls then increasingly larger circles. I also run everyday in the mornings (about 7ish- I say that, but it's more like 9 ). I alternate the days well, to accommodate rest etc.
    Now, I think this routine is very good for what I want to achieve, but I tend to miss out some sets of exercises, especially the larger quantity ones such as sit ups and crunches, as well as the morning runs- didn't go yesterday or today.
    Truth is, I don't feel in the mood in some mornings, e.g. it's cold or the weather is ****, and also when I'm half way through sets I tend I think "that'll do" or something. Maybe I'm doing too much, but it's so frustrating when, an hour, two hours, later I think "I could've done more".

Two questions really:
    1. How do you guys motivate yourselves to get up and go for a long run, and get through the larger sets of exercises
    and
    2. Do you have any suggestions to my routine I have briefly described above, how it can improved etc?

Thanks in advance guys, and oh, please quote me .

ReputationRep:
    Your routine is possibly the worst thing I have seen in my entire life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGregg)
    Your routine is possibly the worst thing I have seen in my entire life...
    Care to explain? POINT, EVIDENCE, EXPLANATION...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Equally you could try to explain why you think your routine is 'good' and where your inspiration came from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Far too high upper/lower body work ratio.. infact you don't do any leg work.
    No compound lifts.
    Press ups and sit ups with those kind of reps are pointless for strength.
    I bet you overtrain if you are doing your workouts that often hitting the same muscles.

I could carry on but since you negged me.. meh.

ReputationRep:
    Far too high upper/lower body work ratio.. infact you don't do any leg work.
    No compound lifts.
    Press ups and sit ups with those kind of reps are pointless for strength.
    I bet you overtrain if you are doing your workouts that often hitting the same muscles.

I could carry on but since you negged me.. meh.
    I did say BRIEFLY, if you read the OP. I do reps of 10 press ups, 30 sit ups, 15 crunches, 10 leg raises, 10 heavy curls (bicep), 20 medium curls (wrist), 10 shoulder raises to ceiling.
    And, I meant to say, although I thought it was pretty obvious, I do not want to go to the gym because it's waste of money.
    Lastly, I cannot do leg work because I don't go to the gym, I feel that running nearly every morning will do that.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Equally you could try to explain why you think your routine is 'good' and where your inspiration came from.
    I don't to explain myself to anybody. Although, it's good for ME because of the sit ups, crunches and curls, I'll play A LOT of cricket in the summer so fitness will be good.
    And my inspiration came from trying to look good for uni in October... I'm sure you're glad to know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    I do not want to go to the gym because it's waste of money.
    Oh really? Since when?

ReputationRep:
    I heard that sit ups don't really do anything and crunches are better for toning up? Forgive me, Ima leave this thread now in case some fitness person tells me I'm wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IPlayThePiccolo)
    I heard that sit ups don't really do anything and crunches are better for toning up? Forgive me, Ima leave this thread now in case some fitness person tells me I'm wrong...
    They are pretty much as bad as each other... Unless you do them with progressivly heavier weight plates..

ReputationRep:
    They are pretty much as bad as each other... Unless you do them with progressivly heavier weight plates..
    decline weighted sit ups are the best but the OP would need a bench for that and I suspect he'd think one of them is a waste of money too!

im overweight and my routine is better than his! jheez!

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Since when?
    Since my closest gym costs £30 per month and with an upfront payment of £50. and I don't like your obnoxious attitude, I would only use the gym for pull ups, benching, and leg exercises... Waste of money in my book.

P.S. Loving the neg rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Since my closest gym costs £30 per month and with an upfront payment of £50. and I don't like your obnoxious attitude, I would only use the gym for pull ups, benching, and leg exercises... Waste of money in my book.

P.S. Loving the neg rep.
    Save up and buy some equipment then.. If you call being able to do 3 of the big compound movements (bench, dead, squat) not worth the month then frankly you might aswell just sit on your arse than continue doing your current weight routine.. I expect you would get better gains...

ReputationRep:
    I love how people are quickly to say "oh routine is better than yours", "you are so ****". Guys, I didn't ask for critique on my fitness routine, I asked for suggestions. E.g. do this instead of this, or do more of these, less of these. Some of things being said are not needed and somewhat pretentious.
    I thought TSR was full of decent people, who advise each other? Guess not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    I love how people are quickly to say "oh routine is better than yours", "you are so ****". Guys, I didn't ask for critique on my fitness routine, I asked for suggestions. E.g. do this instead of this, or do more of these, less of these. Some of things being said are not needed and somewhat pretentious.
    You have been given suggestions.. basically that what you are doing is rubbish and if you want to actually get properly stronger either buy some equipment or join a gym.. if you are unwilling to do either then what advice people will be able to give you is limited, and the gains you make will be extremely limited.

You got told the truth, if you don't like the truth then get off the internet..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Obviously not, no need for them to so rude about it though is there

ReputationRep:
    Save up and buy some equipment then.. If you call being able to do 3 of the big compound movements (bench, dead, squat) not worth the month then frankly you might aswell just sit on your arse than continue doing your current weight routine.. I expect you would get better gains...
    Did you actually pay attention to the "going to university in October" comment? Guess not. This month is, take it, April. Which means 6 months of potential 'gyming'. That amounts to £230 before travel expenses and other stuff. As I said also, I have a lot of cricket (e.g. 4/5 times a week) in May- mid September. So, I wouldn't be able to utilise gym going for the 6 months, or going regularly but very sparingly.

Therefore, if you listen and take in the information I've posted you'll see that, over the 6 months, spending £230 on the gym, going sparingly, would be A WASTE OF MONEY.

N.B. I have a different life to you, don't make judgements about my routine when you don't even take in what I've said. Suggestions, calculated suggestions, would be the decent thing. Who are you trying to impress?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Did you actually pay attention to the "going to university in October" comment? Guess not. This month is, take it, April. Which means 6 months of potential 'gyming'. That amounts to £230 before travel expenses and other stuff. As I said also, I have a lot of cricket (e.g. 4/5 times a week) in May- mid September. So, I wouldn't be able to utilise gym going for the 6 months, or going regularly but very sparingly.

Therefore, if you listen and take in the information I've posted you'll see that, over the 6 months, spending £230 on the gym, going sparingly, would be A WASTE OF MONEY.

N.B. I have a different life to you, don't make judgements about my routine when you don't even take in what I've said. Suggestions, calculated suggestions, would be the decent thing. Who are you trying to impress?
    You can fit cricket around lifting weights.. plenty of althletes from a variety of sports mix sport and weights.

ReputationRep:
    You can fit cricket around lifting weights.. plenty of althletes from a variety of sports mix sport and weights.
    That's a pretty stupid thing to say IMO. I already life weights, barbells and dumbbells, if you read the OP. Again, pay attention.

Don't reply please, this thread has already been poisoned by your un-needed posts. Suggestions would be welcome though, nevertheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    That's a pretty stupid thing to say IMO. I already life weights, barbells and dumbbells, if you read the OP. Again, pay attention.

Don't reply please, this thread has already been poisoned by your un-needed posts. Suggestions would be welcome though, nevertheless.
    If you want to make time for the gym you will, if you don't.. you won't.

Read the stickies and choose a sensible routine from there if you have a barbell.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.