Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Do You Guys Motivate Yourselves? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Since my closest gym costs £30 per month and with an upfront payment of £50. and I don't like your obnoxious attitude, I would only use the gym for pull ups, benching, and leg exercises... Waste of money in my book.

P.S. Loving the neg rep.
    Gyms are good for compound lifts, which you are not getting at all. If you can already do 500 sit ups, then what is doing them every day going to contribute? Completely missing out on leg work is missing one huge muscle group, something that could make a huge difference.

Please stop arguing with people. If you'd have read the million and one other threads on this site you would already have realised that what you do is a huge waste of time or might increase your stamina slightly if you work hard enough for enough years. But it's really not going to change your body, you can't build muscles if you're giving them no more work than you're already capable of.

If you wanted to run a marathon you wouldn't jog for 10 minutes a day; if you want to lift big, you don't piss around with tins of beans.

Go read some threads then come back with your stats and goals. Then maybe the people who know what they're talking about will help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGregg)
    If you want to make time for the gym you will, if you don't.. you won't.

Read the stickies and choose a sensible routine from there if you have a barbell.
    Finally, a decent post. Now, I'm sure it wasn't THAT hard...
    I see where you're coming from, but, like I said, my current routine (bearing mind I'll progress it in April) will accommodate the time I will have off from work and cricket. Lack of gym time= waste of membership.
    But thanks for the decent suggestion, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Gyms are good for compound lifts, which you are not getting at all. If you can already do 500 sit ups, then what is doing them every day going to contribute? Completely missing out on leg work is missing one huge muscle group, something that could make a huge difference.

Please stop arguing with people. If you'd have read the million and one other threads on this site you would already have realised that what you do is a huge waste of time or might increase your stamina slightly if you work hard enough for enough years. But it's really not going to change your body, you can't build muscles if you're giving them no more work than you're already capable of.

If you wanted to run a marathon you wouldn't jog for 10 minutes a day; if you want to lift big, you don't piss around with tins of beans.

Go read some threads then come back with your stats and goals. Then maybe the people who know what they're talking about will help.
    I don't understand. Is this a suggestion on my current routine? No. It's another stupid, pointless opinion of how bad it is. Who are you trying to impress? I know it's bad, that's why I posted the ****ing thread in the first place; LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS.

ReputationRep:
    £30 a month sounds like a bargain to me.

ReputationRep:
    How much weight do you have in plates?
    What are you lifting atm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    I don't understand. Is this a suggestion on my current routine? No. It's another stupid, pointless opinion of how bad it is. Who are you trying to impress? I know it's bad, that's why I posted the ****ing thread in the first place; LOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS.
    Wow, and I thought my reply was pretty tame compared to others.

I suggested compound lifts.

I suggested leg work to be included and even said why.

I suggested why you need to improve on your routine.

So if I suggested why, and how, what's wrong with my answer?

And why can't you just go read other threads that have asked the same question?

Keep answering people like this and people that are willing to help are gona think that you're just a moron who doesn't want to listen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Wow, and I thought my reply was pretty tame compared to others.

I suggested compound lifts.

I suggested leg work to be included and even said why.

I suggested why you need to improve on your routine.

So if I suggested why, and how, what's wrong with my answer?

And why can't you just go read other threads that have asked the same question?

Keep answering people like this and people that are willing to help are gona think that you're just a moron who doesn't want to listen.
    Firstly, sorry for saying that, but you can't blame me insinuating it because of the total bottleneck of stupid replies. Compound lifts, I'll be able to deadlift yes, so thanks. But you haven't said, do, for example, 5 sets of 10 reps deadlift etc etc. Bit vague really.
    Don't call me a moron, I must have missed the actual helpful posts in the midst of some of all the idiotic ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    I did say BRIEFLY, if you read the OP. I do reps of 10 press ups, 30 sit ups, 15 crunches, 10 leg raises, 10 heavy curls (bicep), 20 medium curls (wrist), 10 shoulder raises to ceiling.
    And, I meant to say, although I thought it was pretty obvious, I do not want to go to the gym because it's waste of money.
    Lastly, I cannot do leg work because I don't go to the gym, I feel that running nearly every morning will do that.
    Thanks.
    Firstly you're not gonna put on a lot of muscle unless you lift heavy weights such as ones where you can only do 5 reps with good form. Secondly there are loads of things you can do with your legs and no weight such as lunges, squats, burpees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGregg)
    How much weight do you have in plates?
    What are you lifting atm?
    Dumbbells: biceps curls around 20kg heavy, 15kg medium. Wrist curls around 9.1kg (not important but do it before cricket- I'm as fast bowler and it helps me warm up)
    Barbells: heavy around 50 kg, medium around 35kg.

Any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Firstly, sorry for saying that, but you can't blame me insinuating it because of the total bottleneck of stupid replies. Compound lifts, I'll be able to deadlift yes, so thanks. But you haven't said, do, for example, 5 sets of 10 reps deadlift etc etc. Bit vague really.
    Don't call me a moron, I must have missed the actual helpful posts in the midst of some of all the idiotic ones.
    It's hard to advise people when their goals are clear.

Seriously, there are some brilliant stickies around this forum and you might be able to find a routine that sounds perfect for you.

I started out by buying a set of free weights so I know that a few suggestions help. What do you have? What's the max weight on them? What are you capable of now?

I can make suggestions but I'd rather see you get help from another guy as you could probably smash my PBs already...

Check the fitness forums out. Now. It's full of threads just like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Dumbbells: biceps curls around 20kg heavy, 15kg medium. Wrist curls around 9.1kg (not important but do it before cricket- I'm as fast bowler and it helps me warm up)
    Barbells: heavy around 50 kg, medium around 35kg.

Any suggestions?
    Take a look, find one that you like.. your going to have a problem with squats but if you teach yourself to clean you could clean up the weight and front squat.. won't be able to squat as heavily but it's better than nothing.

You also might need a couple more weight plates as the weights you can lift will shoot up initially providing you eat well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    I don't to explain myself to anybody.
    You need to sort out your attitude, especially consdering that you came here looking for advice.

Although, it's good for ME because of the sit ups, crunches and curls, I'll play A LOT of cricket in the summer so fitness will be good.
    Situps, crunches and curls will contribute little (if at all) towards your fitness and cricket playing ability. You would be far better off following a more structured, balanced and proven routine.

And my inspiration came from trying to look good for uni in October...
    As above, that will have little or no impact on your appearance and you would make significantly more progress following a proper routine.

I'm sure you're glad to know that.
    I am, it says a lot about your background and knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Gymnasts are HUGE yet do NOT spend their entire lives lifting iron. Implement some form of ISO contractions in your workout. The overload and stimuli provided to any muscle group FAR exceeds what can be achieved through a Concentric and Eccentric contraction.

ReputationRep:
    How do you not motivate yourself?

I feel like **** when I take rest days and feel guilty about not going to the gym, I dunno I don't understand weak peoples mindsets

ReputationRep:
    It all depends what you're after. I.e. I do lots of cardio and average upper body.
    My routine: Tuesday - big swim session, Wednesday - big row session (at college gym), Thursday - big run session (about 6000m).
    Monday Rest, Friday, Saturday and Sunday I have matches.
    I also do about 60 press ups and tricep dips per day, just to keep upper body toned, and not bulked.

I'm guessing you want bulk?

As for motivation, I have regular fitness assessments so have to train hard to pass them.

Ian.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.