Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I went to the open house today, I thought Whitworth had everything I needed, very convenient, seemed like a decent bar, rooms were alright but now I'm looking at a few things and apparently life in Whitworth park can be pretty dull. I'm wondering if fallowfield is that much better in terms of social stuff, would very much appreciate reading about anyones experiences with either whitworth or oak house, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Oak house is great, very sociable, and there's plenty of pubs and takeaways nearby. The only downside is you're a bit further away from uni, but there are plenty of buses and it's only a half hour walk.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    I went today as well and looked round the Fallowfield area, it looks really sociable and fun from what I saw and what the students told me. I've heard bad things about Whitworth to be honest, from someone I know who lives there and said it's really dull. I've also read some bad reviews about it on review sites etc. When I saw Oak House I thought it looked a bit grim like, but you Uni is what you make it I guess. The layout of the flats make it feel like it'll be sociable. I'm choosing between King's and Manchester at the moment but if I do pick MCR I'll put Oak House definitely.

Here are some reviews, http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews108526.html One guy has said it's loud but he's a postgrad so looking for something different I guess?

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    As someone at Manchester Uni but not in either of those halls, if I had to pick again I would choose Oak House. Whitworth is nice, but the social side isn't there nearly as much. I've found that being in a hall about 10 minutes away from it.

Also Oak House is in an area with loads of other halls, so there are more student bars, facilities etc. and other places to go nearby. The other thing is that being in Fallowfield, you're more likely to be near other people from your course due to the bigger number of students. If you're considering a hall in the Victoria Park sort of area I'd actually go for Victoria Hall, as it's got better facilities from what I've seen and it is newer.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Oak House will be noisy. But that's gonna be the case wherever you are in Fallowfield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DAP_24)
    Oh and Oak House will be noisy. But that's gonna be the case wherever you are in Fallowfield.
    people say that fallowfield is noisy which i like the idea of because i would want a socialble area but to what extent is it noisy? like, one person i spoke to said they had to wear ear plugs to get to sleep and im not too keen on it being so noisy that i actually cannot sleep :/

ReputationRep:
    I personally think Whitworth Park is a better choice. As my main concern is the distance between my campus and the place where I live. If I get Whitworth, I will be like just crossing a road, coz my campus will be at Stanford Building. Anyone else agree with me?? and who else here are taking pharmacy?? x

ReputationRep:
    From what I know you should be ok if you want to sleep, but I wouldn't be suprised if you get some noise. Oak House isn't a hall with a reputation for being particularly noisy or having lots of fire alarms, but effectively anywhere in Fallowfield is fair game as a party area. People I know there have never complained about noise though, compared to others in places such as the main Owens Park buildings like The Tower. I would say the social side makes up for the noise.

ReputationRep:
    If I chose

1. Whitworth
    2. Bowden Court
    3. Oak House

in this order, which hall am i most likely to get a room in, considering the fact that both Oak and Whit are huge halls?

ReputationRep:
    I live in Whitworth. It's not dull. At all. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bb_girl)
    If I chose

1. Whitworth
    2. Bowden Court
    3. Oak House

in this order, which hall am i most likely to get a room in, considering the fact that both Oak and Whit are huge halls?
    I put (in this order):
    Bowden Court
    One of the other Grosvenor buildings
    Whitworth park with a basin

I got Whitworth without a basin. (Glad I did though, I love Whitworth and the non-basin buildings are quirkier than the basin building and the furniture's newer.)

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine you would get Whitworth if it was your first choice, as it's so big. But I don't think I've actually met anyone that didn't get their first or second choice.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way of predicting what you'll get, it's pure luck. I got my offer, applied for accommodation straight after I got it, got my results two months before A-Levels results, and got none of my choices (I asked for an ensuite and I got Whitworth without even a basin). A friend of mine got her first choice despite getting her unconditional after me, so really, it depends.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get how people can say a certain halls is social or not. Surely it depends on the type of people that live there during that year? I like Whitworth park - I'd rather be closer to the university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    I put (in this order):
    Bowden Court
    One of the other Grosvenor buildings
    Whitworth park with a basin

I got Whitworth without a basin. (Glad I did though, I love Whitworth and the non-basin buildings are quirkier than the basin building and the furniture's newer.)
    What's the kitchen facilities like at Whitworth? Oh and out of curiosity how many foreign vs home students are there in your halls? Do they integrate well or isolate themselves?

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    I dont get how people can say a certain halls is social or not. Surely it depends on the type of people that live there during that year? I like Whitworth park - I'd rather be closer to the university!
    While a lot of it obviously depends on what people you live with, there are also other factors, like that some halls are laid out in the form of flats with a living room/kitchen, which makes for a much more sociable atmosphere, while others are just a corridor with nowhere people can get together, so it's harder to get to know each other. I don't know how whitworth's laid out, but oak house is arranged into flats, which is definitely an advantage.

Also I think they try and put certain types of people into certain halls - not in every case but the majority of people I've met from owen's park have been very outgoing types who tend to like clubbing and partying, whereas if you apply for one of the smaller halls I think they try and pick quieter people to live there.

ReputationRep:
    What's the kitchen facilities like at Whitworth? Oh and out of curiosity how many foreign vs home students are there in your halls? Do they integrate well or isolate themselves?

thank you!
    I'm French, I lived with two Northern Irish girls, a Norwegian, a Chinese and three British, so a pretty equal mix, and I had the best flat in the world. We all did things together, got on very well, everything was clean, we shared food and utensils, etc, and there was no *****ing, despite the fact that we were 8 girls. That said, a friend who lived with only British girls hated it, but it will be the same no matter the halls you're in or the university you're at.

The kitchen was pretty good, we had two fridges, a massive freezer, a microwave, kettle, toaster and sink, and there were enough cupboards for all of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I'm French, I lived with two Northern Irish girls, a Norwegian, a Chinese and three British, so a pretty equal mix, and I had the best flat in the world. We all did things together, got on very well, everything was clean, we shared food and utensils, etc, and there was no *****ing, despite the fact that we were 8 girls. That said, a friend who lived with only British girls hated it, but it will be the same no matter the halls you're in or the university you're at.

The kitchen was pretty good, we had two fridges, a massive freezer, a microwave, kettle, toaster and sink, and there were enough cupboards for all of us.
    Hmm sounds good, I guess it's true - it's the people that make it. Hope I get some decent flatmates like you did!

ReputationRep:

thank you!
    The kitchen's fine. Chest freezer's a life saver. Um, the people will make it or break it and that will unlikely be affected by their nationality TBPH

I'd take Whitworth Park over Oak House but I prefer the convenience of being on campus - Fallowfield has the bars and takeaways but it also has a lot of noise (Oak House is not as bad as Owens Park though), and queuing for overcrowded buses in the rain hacks me off - at the start of term in September the queues are horrendous and the buses very slow. Being on / by campus is great - you can get up late and still get too classes on time and you don't have the hassle of the commute, and you have the library, aquatics centre and gym on your doorstep.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.