The Student Room Group

Maximising my gap year

Hey,

I have a strong suspicion I won't get any offers this year so looking for options to maximise my gap year for my application next time around.

I figure I have 6 months to build up an amazing profile for my application in October so wondering if anyone can give Ideas/thoughts on current considerations.

I scored 690 on my UKCAT this year so looking to get over the 700 mark next time around with plenty of practice this should be achievable.

My main area of weakness is my work experience, I need more exposure. I was thinking of trying to get a position as a trainee dental nurse or as a receptionist in a dental surgery. I don't see how but can anyone think how it might hinder my application?

Has anyone else got any idea's they can throw at me? I want to get started on these straight away so I can beef up my personal statement now rather than having to wait another year. then continue so if I do get any interviews I can talk about how i have continued to develop myself etc.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical-School-comprehensive-explanations/dp/1905812094/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Buy the book listed and smash that UKCAT next time round. :smile:

For work experience, Universities like students who take the initiative and who go out to find work experience, and can actually talk about what they learnt at an interview. :smile:

Good luck in future.
Reply 2
Original post by Wick3d
http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical-School-comprehensive-explanations/dp/1905812094/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Buy the book listed and smash that UKCAT next time round. :smile:

For work experience, Universities like students who take the initiative and who go out to find work experience, and can actually talk about what they learnt at an interview. :smile:

Good luck in future.

That book is great, i used it and got 690 myself, the highest out of my friends.

If only i got offers for medicine.
Reply 3
The work experience bit is a tough one. I mean for medicine its quite easy to undersatnd what kind of work expereince you should be after, basically in both a medical and caring environment, but more in caring.

But denistry is quite different. Why don't you first talk to some people who have had interviews and offers for denistry and see what kind of work experience they did to get a better understanding.
Reply 4
Original post by AnJuM218
The work experience bit is a tough one. I mean for medicine its quite easy to undersatnd what kind of work experience you should be after, basically in both a medical and caring environment, but more in caring.

But dentistry is quite different. Why don't you first talk to some people who have had interviews and offers for dentistry and see what kind of work experience they did to get a better understanding.

I had an interview at Kings this year but they mentioned in my interview it was a shame my experience was limited to hospital work. I spent 2 years training the staff of a maxillofacial department of a hospital in IT and Administration skills (I'm a mature student). So was exposed to a lot of things as I spent 2 days a week there for 2 years. Unfortunately when looking for experience in a dental practice I found it almost impossible to get due to insurance issues.

So I thought since I need to get a job for the next year anyway I should try and get one in a practice.
Reply 5
Original post by Naomib
I had an interview at Kings this year but they mentioned in my interview it was a shame my experience was limited to hospital work. I spent 2 years training the staff of a maxillofacial department of a hospital in IT and Administration skills (I'm a mature student). So was exposed to a lot of things as I spent 2 days a week there for 2 years. Unfortunately when looking for experience in a dental practice I found it almost impossible to get due to insurance issues.

So I thought since I need to get a job for the next year anyway I should try and get one in a practice.

Ah, so they wanted you to have direct experience,as in working with dentists.

Well, that is quite tricky, especially as you said you faced some difficulty the first time due to insurance issues.

The people i know who have applied for dentrsty either lied abouit their work experience or have family memeers who were dentists and allowed them to observe during practice.

I think the best thing to do is to approach dentists you do know and see if they can give you insight to how you can get some experience and also get around the whole insurance thing.
Reply 6
Original post by AnJuM218
Ah, so they wanted you to have direct experience,as in working with dentists.

Well, that is quite tricky, especially as you said you faced some difficulty the first time due to insurance issues.

The people i know who have applied for dentrsty either lied abouit their work experience or have family memeers who were dentists and allowed them to observe during practice.

I think the best thing to do is to approach dentists you do know and see if they can give you insight to how you can get some experience and also get around the whole insurance thing.

They lied? and got away with it? wow, suddenly feeling quite naive (and slightly angry) that I told the truth, grrr!

Quick Reply

Latest