Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not sure how long this will turn out to be so I apologise in advance!

Since about August last year, I've just felt down constantly, punctuated by a good day here and there but then followed by an awful comedown. I feel like no matter what I do, my life is empty and boring - I look at other 17 year olds and they have such great lives and loads of friends etc. Before I left high school, I was mostly happy (or distracted, I don't know) and I had the life I wanted. Ever since I've left I feel like I'm just falling into this hole where I'm all alone and there's no one that can pull me out.

I tried making changes to my life, attempting to get involved in things, talking to more people at my new sixth form, planning things with old friends... nothing worked for me. Now I feel like I'm in this kind of shell, away from everyone else because there's something so wrong with me that I haven't been able to make anything better for myself. I've been constantly ill and tired since September or so, not bothered about doing well in school (when school is the only thing I am good at). Nothing seems to make me happy anymore - everything feels so slow but I wonder where all my time has gone. I'm so, so lonely. I even tried to commit suicide in January time after 2 months of terrible anxiety attacks and I just couldn't do it, I just felt disappointed in myself. I don't feel things like I used to.

I've been trying to distract myself from it with schoolwork/revision and getting involved in volunteering but feel like so much is passing me by. I just want to start being normal and happy again, like everyone else. I feel really lonely and I don't know what more I can try to stop all the bad thoughts. I was thinking of seeing a doctor but I don't want to waste anyone's time if I'm just being silly and in a temporary rut, but everything's so dark at the moment.

What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like it could be but I'm not a doctor so I wouldn't know for sure. I would suggest going to see your GP. Just explain to them what you have said here and they should talk you through some options. x

Thank you for your reply

To anyone who's seen a doctor for depression, what did you say? I don't think I could just outpour how I felt completely without being prompted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for your reply

To anyone who's seen a doctor for depression, what did you say? I don't think I could just outpour how I felt completely without being prompted.
    The initial step is the hardest, once you are in there you will be a bag of nerves but you may find that once you start talking to your GP it will all come flooding out. They normally do a tick box test thing to try and gather what stage your depression is at and then prescribe the right treatment, whether that be counselling or pills etc. (Thats what they did with me anyway!!)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.