Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just Grazed Someone Else's Car Watch

ReputationRep:
    I only passed my driving test last week and I was bay parking today (which, incidentally, I have never actually been taught how to do) and as I did I bumped someone else's car. So naturally I was freaking out anyway, but to make matters worse they were in the car.

I got out and started apologizing like a complete maniac, but actually there was only a small scratch on the bumper of the car and I managed to rub most of it off. If the roles had been reversed I would have just told the person it was fine and not to worry about it but she wanted all the details of my insurance etc. Obviously I gave them all (whilst still apologizing like crazy) but I just feel really guilty/ annoyed/ embarrassed now.

Anyway the point of this post was to partly to have a 'minor' rant about what happened, but also has anything similar happened ot any of you TSR? What did you do?

ReputationRep:
    How could you have done a driving test without being taught how to bay park? Wow...

Tbh, if you didn't cause any actual damage I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    How could you have done a driving test without being taught how to bay park? Wow...

Tbh, if you didn't cause any actual damage I wouldn't worry.
    The driving centre where I live never tests on bay parking, so in the words of my 'helpful' driving instructor, "You don't need it to pass your test so I won't bother teaching it to you."
    Helpful I know.

ReputationRep:
    I was told by everyone, my parents, my instuctor, other drivers that you never say sorry if you mess up, just exchange the details and go. I passed mine last week too and haven't attempted bay parking yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scribblet)
    I only passed my driving test last week and I was bay parking today (which, incidentally, I have never actually been taught how to do) and as I did I bumped someone else's car. So naturally I was freaking out anyway, but to make matters worse they were in the car.

I got out and started apologizing like a complete maniac, but actually there was only a small scratch on the bumper of the car and I managed to rub most of it off. If the roles had been reversed I would have just told the person it was fine and not to worry about it but she wanted all the details of my insurance etc. Obviously I gave them all (whilst still apologizing like crazy) but I just feel really guilty/ annoyed/ embarrassed now.

Anyway the point of this post was to partly to have a 'minor' rant about what happened, but also has anything similar happened ot any of you TSR? What did you do?
    It is natural to cause a panic in this situation especially you are a new driver - i would probably act the same way like you did... A least you were apologetic to a person and a small grazed isnt that bad.

If i were you ask one of your family or have a least 1 or 2 lesson to improve your bay parking - nothing to be embarrassed about it as we learn new stuff everyday and i just passed my driving test 16th march lol..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    I was told by everyone, my parents, my instuctor, other drivers that you never say sorry if you mess up, just exchange the details and go. I passed mine last week too and haven't attempted bay parking yet.
    Really? The driver looked like she could quite happily punch me, I felt apologizing was the only way ahead.

ReputationRep:
    The driving centre where I live never tests on bay parking, so in the words of my 'helpful' driving instructor, "You don't need it to pass your test so I won't bother teaching it to you."
    Helpful I know.
    This short post demonstrates neatly everything that is wrong with driving instruction today. We should be teaching people to drive, not just to pass their test! It is a cause of great frustration to me as an instructor because I try to do the job properly and ultimately to other motorists on the road when drivers actually demonstrate a complete inability to drive!

p.s., I do know of some instructors who actually cover putting fuel in the car within a lesson so that the pupil has done it! I can see the logic...

ReputationRep:

1. There is nothing wrong with apologizing per se and it can take the heat out of the situation. However, you must never accept blame or responsibility in a post-accident conversation. Saying "I didn't see you" or some such thing is not a good idea.
    2. The presence of surface damage is, unfortunately, no guide to whether there is underlying damage. It's the curse of the 'moulded' car I'm afraid. The other driver will have the vehicle examined to see if there is any such damage and, if necessary, provide estimates for repair. If it comes to that, make sure there are multiple estimates from reputable garages.

A few years back neither of these would have been necessary but these days...?

ReputationRep:
    I would have just drove off tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    I would have just drove off tbh.
    mmm i dont think it is a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    You mean never admit fault, even if you know it was your fault.
    Yeah, sorry I meant this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    1. There is nothing wrong with apologizing per se and it can take the heat out of the situation. However, you must never accept blame or responsibility in a post-accident conversation. Saying "I didn't see you" or some such thing is not a good idea.
    2. The presence of surface damage is, unfortunately, no guide to whether there is underlying damage. It's the curse of the 'moulded' car I'm afraid. The other driver will have the vehicle examined to see if there is any such damage and, if necessary, provide estimates for repair. If it comes to that, make sure there are multiple estimates from reputable garages.

A few years back neither of these would have been necessary but these days...?
    Hi, I'm just wondering why you aren't allowed to accept blame or responsibility? Never heard this before, what about in cases where it clearly is your fault?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    Yeah, sorry I meant this.
    To be fair, if you're that unprincipled, you can simply lie in court since it would only be her word that you accepted liability. Though it seems the honourable thing to own up and pay if you do something wrong, but perhaps I'm naive. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.2.3.)
    Hi, I'm just wondering why you aren't allowed to accept blame or responsibility? Never heard this before, what about in cases where it clearly is your fault?
    Insurance and legal reasons spring to mind. If you admit fault, then you can be more hard done by in terms of insurance, and if it ended up in a legal process, you can't really defend your position if you've already admitted it.

ReputationRep:

I accidentally crashed a car into Qaddafi's house. Except it wasn't actually a car...

It was a cruise missile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MilaneseCat)
    I accidentally crashed a car into Qaddafi's house. Except it wasn't actually a car...

It was a cruise missile.
    F LOL!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamZ)
    mmm i dont think it is a good idea
    What can happen? Nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    What can happen? Nothing.
    What if someone else saw you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    To be fair, if you're that unprincipled, you can simply lie in court since it would only be her word that you accepted liability. Though it seems the honourable thing to own up and pay if you do something wrong, but perhaps I'm naive. :rolleyes:
    Oh I'm not saying I wouldn't pay up if I was in the wrong, I was just saying this is what I've been told by everyone I know, not to accept liability.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, the insurance company will laugh at them for making a claim for such a minor thing

and secondly, why didn't you offer to go outside of insurance and just pay them off for a bottle of T-cut to sort out the scuff

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.