Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Calling all experienced travellers!!

Me and my friend have recently booked our flight tickets for our trip around Southeast Asia, and are now trying to decide upon our route. We are flying into Bangkok in Thailand and out of Jakarta in Indonesia. We're going for 3 months (May 14th-August 4th), we'd quite like to see a fair bit of Indonesia, but apart from that we're not really fussy. My friend likes diving so anywhere that's good for diving would be great, and I just want to see pretty places that are rich in culture!

Anyone any ideas??

ReputationRep:
    Thailand > Laos > Cambodia > Vietnam > Singapore (flight from hanoi) > Indonesia is the route I'd take

How long you spend in each place depends on how long you want to spend in Indonesia really, if you want to spend ages there the above might not be possible :p: Would you like to see all the above countries? Where do you want to go?

ReputationRep:
    just out of curiousity, what sort of accomadation are you going to be staying in and how much would it cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Thailand > Laos > Cambodia > Vietnam > Singapore (flight from hanoi) > Indonesia is the route I'd take

How long you spend in each place depends on how long you want to spend in Indonesia really, if you want to spend ages there the above might not be possible :p: Would you like to see all the above countries? Where do you want to go?
    That sounds good, that was pretty much what I was thinking, apart from I hadn't considered Singapore. And we'd quite like to do Malaysia, would that be too tricky to fit all that into 3 months though do you think? I'm finding it quite hard to gauge how long it will take and how much time to spend in each place, what would you reccommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _ruby)
    That sounds good, that was pretty much what I was thinking, apart from I hadn't considered Singapore. And we'd quite like to do Malaysia, would that be too tricky to fit all that into 3 months though do you think? I'm finding it quite hard to gauge how long it will take and how much time to spend in each place, what would you reccommend?
    I had Malaysia in my post but then took it out when I realised you probably wouldn't have time. This is because I recon you'd need at least 3 weeks Thailand, 2 weeks Laos, 2-3 weeks Vietnam, 1 week Cambodia, few days Singapore to see the main sights. As for Indonesia I don't know the area all too well, but it is a large place & the only place you mentioned you really want to go to so I would guess at least 3 weeks there? Perhaps you could reduce Vietnam to 2 weeks then spend a week travelling from KL to Singapore thereby seeing some of Malaysia & Singapore.

If Malaysia is a place you really want to see them miss out stuff elsewhere, perhaps only 1.5 week in Laos for instance. You just need to work out some sort of priority list of places you really want to see then work it out from there.

I would say absolute minimum: 2 weeks Thailand, 1.5 week Laos, 2 weeks Vietnam, 5 days Cambodia - don't reduce time below that.

For a trip like this (seeing many places in a short period) you will need to plan it out pretty well, ie where exactly in each country you will go and how long you will be there for.

Don't forget to factor in border crossings, going from Thailand to Laos for instance it going to take you all day, as is going from Laos to Cambodia & Cambodia to Vietnam. In fact pretty much all your border crossings will take you a day, so that's going to reduce potential time by 6 days or so...

Perhaps you can tell us where you want to go the most out of these countries.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.