Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you do if you want to see a counsellor? watch

I'm really worried and depressed about myself in general; I feel trapped in life and don't know what I should do. I really want to talk to a counsellor. What should I do?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Are you at uni? If so look at the student welfare advice you've been given/is on your uni's website and go about contacting the counselling service.

Otherwise, go to your GP. It's probably a good idea to see your GP even if you are a uni student, tbh

ReputationRep:
    You could try your local Connexions, or try seeing a GP as they will often refer you to one. If you're at school (or uni), check if they have one you can see.

http://www.connexions-direct.com/

OP, don't give up hope.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Either see your GP, or if you are at uni/college there is probably someone you can see there.
    Otherwise, contact Connexions, or see if there are other similar agencies in your area.

ReputationRep:
    You've had excellent tsr responses already, so I can only back what has been said - go to welfare (if in university - and they can then refer you to a counselling service) or if not, go to your GP to get a referral.
    It's better to go about it this way rather than going directly to the counselling service, because I believe that in a lot of places, there is a long waiting list. At least, for me, this has sped up getting myself to a counsellor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Are you at uni? If so look at the student welfare advice you've been given/is on your uni's website and go about contacting the counselling service.

Otherwise, go to your GP. It's probably a good idea to see your GP even if you are a uni student, tbh
    but most unis have their own GP surgery, i assume? i know mine does
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by rooney1000)
    but most unis have their own GP surgery, i assume? i know mine does
    I'd imagine so. What I meant is that I know you don't always have to get your GP involved in referring you on for uni counselling. Oxford's counselling service doesn't require a GP referral or proof of one, afaik. Even if the OP didn't need to get his/her GP involved, I'd say it's probs a good idea to still see them anyway

ReputationRep:
    Go to your GP and tell them something about how you feel, and ask to be referred to a counsellor. You may have to state this explicitly - I've found that if you just go 'I'm miserable' they might just go 'oh'.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.