Turn on thread page Beta

Upcoming Edexcel AS Biology: Unit 2 exam on 26 May 2011 watch

• View Poll Results: Difficulty level of Edexcel's Biology Unit 2 exam?
    VERY EASY, a joke quite frankly.
    0%
    EASY, nicest paper written.
    20.83%
    FAIR, a few odd questions but overall good.
    45.83%
    CHALLENGING, tougher than expected but manageable.
    29.17%
    VERY HARD, disgusting paper.
    4.17%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    That's right, initially I thought exactly what you did, however it specifically asked for those which are involved in fertilisation; the synergid and antipodal are not involved in fertilisation, hence it can only be the two I mentioned before. Taking the fact that it asked for haploid into account, I circled only one of the 2 polar nuclei, however my friends done both so I think I may have just got a mark, oh well
    It specifically asked to circle labels though.

I don't know about antipodal, but synergids are part of the egg's apparatus that help the pollen nucleus reach the egg cell for fertilization. Each are haploid, and the label only pointed to one synergid, unlike the polar nuclei label, which pointed to them as a collective group.

Idk, the MS may make an allowance for people who circled one polar nuclei as it shows you know what haploid means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snow leopard)
    It specifically asked to circle labels though.

I don't know about antipodal, but synergids are part of the egg's apparatus that help the pollen nucleus reach the egg cell for fertilization. Each are haploid, and the label only pointed to one synergid, unlike the polar nuclei label, which pointed to them as a collective group.

Idk, the MS may make an allowance for people who circled one polar nuclei as it shows you know what haploid means.
    That's true; weird thing is I circled the egg cell and it's label, but just 1 of the polar nuclei and not it's label, so I don't know what will happen Very awfully worded question, so I am sure they will make allowances either way, but sure I see your point entirely, just the question said "involved in fertilisation" which threw me of the idea that it could be either of those 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    That's right, initially I thought exactly what you did, however it specifically asked for those which are involved in fertilisation; the synergid and antipodal are not involved in fertilisation, hence it can only be the two I mentioned before. Taking the fact that it asked for haploid into account, I circled only one of the 2 polar nuclei, however my friends done both so I think I may have just got a mark, oh well
    I did the same as you. I got SO confused by the wording of the question and literally had to read it about 6 times, before circling the actual diagram. I cricled one of the polar nuclei in the centre because I knew they were both haploid, and then the bottom middle one because I remember it from my textbook, but when someone told me about circling the actual labels I was gutted. Thought I'd bagged a cheeky question I'd spotted last-minute! D'oh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britchick)
    I did the same as you. I got SO confused by the wording of the question and literally had to read it about 6 times, before circling the actual diagram. I cricled one of the polar nuclei in the centre because I knew they were both haploid, and then the bottom middle one because I remember it from my textbook, but when someone told me about circling the actual labels I was gutted. Thought I'd bagged a cheeky question I'd spotted last-minute! D'oh!
    Ahhh right I see :rolleyes: Oh well I think we should get at least 1 mark A couple of my friend's just circled the structures and not the labels, so sure they will make allowances for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    lol, the polar nuclei are haploid. if their are 2 polar nuclei which fuse with 1 haploid egg cell it makes a triploid endosperm. 3 haploid cells are combining to form a triploid. Both of the polar nuclei fuse with the egg cell not one of them. If they were diploid they would form a cell with 5 sets of chromosomes, so polar nuclei are haploid. It does not matter if they have written 2 polar nuclei, they presume you know that each is haploid as it is an individual cell, the correct labels were the egg cell and the 2 polar nuclei. There is a reason they have written '2' which is to stop confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alakamind)
    lol, the polar nuclei are haploid. if their are 2 polar nuclei which fuse with 1 haploid egg cell it makes a triploid endosperm. 3 haploid cells are combining to form a triploid. Both of the polar nuclei fuse with the egg cell not one of them. If they were diploid they would form a cell with 5 sets of chromosomes, so polar nuclei are haploid. It does not matter if they have written 2 polar nuclei, they presume you know that each is haploid as it is an individual cell, the correct labels were the egg cell and the 2 polar nuclei. There is a reason they have written '2' which is to stop confusion.
    What is this '2' your talking about, it said to circle two labels of haploid cells in the ovule. Polar nuclei (hence the nuclei bit, which means two nucleuses) are diploid.

If the label was polar nucleus where it pointed to one of the two polar nuclei, then that would be correct.
    BUT, the label was polar nuclei, and it specifically pointed to both enclosed in a circle, which are diploid. The polar nuclei are very almost always referred to as a single diploid body.

Most people will circle, like you, the circle egg cell and polar nuclei, because it's the only thing you've learnt about in its structure (not your fault).

Remember haploid is represented by (n), and diploid as (2n). Now take a look at my biology revision guide.

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere on the spec does it say that though. It actually gives zero details about the extent to which you need to know the prokaroytic cells; just need to be able to distinguish their structural features. The fact that they've questioned about the slime capsule before shows how the exam board expects such knowledge.

I stand with my argument that it wasn't a cell wall due to the curvy nature of the layer under question. I'm sure the cell wall was implied by the thick black line (can't remember exact details).

Does anyone have the paper ?
    GET A LIFE:doctor::doctor:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biology Freak)
    GET A LIFE:doctor::doctor:
    I'll take that as a win

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the paper?

ReputationRep:
    I'll take that as a win
    If that will help you sleep at night ;-)

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by excellent)
    yes
    you have the paper?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This exam was horrible- completely took me by surprise
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'll take that as a win
    I see you were the thread starter- do you think it'd be a good idea to set up some sort of poll to see how everyone thought they did on this exam, so that would give us an idea of the potential grade boundaries.
    I just really want to re-assure myself that everyone thought it was a badly written exam and took people by surprise..

ReputationRep:
    Unit 2 poll is up and running fellow biologists!

(Original post by marc_h94)
    I see you were the thread starter- do you think it'd be a good idea to set up some sort of poll to see how everyone thought they did on this exam, so that would give us an idea of the potential grade boundaries.
    I just really want to re-assure myself that everyone thought it was a badly written exam and took people by surprise..
    Sure.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you would favour the black line being a cell membrane seeing as you put cell wall. It is not up to opinion, we need to see the paper.

And it was curvy; it had very gentle, slight wave-like curves at the boundary. The edges were not straight.
    LOOOL

it was labelled cell membrane and it was not curvy LOOOOL was u high or something :/ hmm yes defo hiiiighh in the clouds lmao

but yeah when the paper comes dont 4gt to holla at Paola

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paolat)
    LOOOL

it was labelled cell membrane and it was not curvy LOOOOL was u high or something :/ hmm yes defo hiiiighh in the clouds lmao

but yeah when the paper comes dont 4gt to holla at Paola
    No when the paper comes out, you, don't 4gt to holla at me

ReputationRep:
    It's shocking how you'd even show your face after promising everyone to give full sets of 'FULL 120/120 UMS' notes 2 days before the exam and not even apologize about lieing. Just saying.
    Let me tell you something, i couldn't find time to do them completely, in unit 1 i had plenty of time to do them, but in June i don't have time, i have many more exams to study for them and solve past papers, that is more important than YOU. And btw, i said send me emails on my my email not here, and in fact 11 students sent me and i did help them and u can ask and see. You didn't even send me an email, and you expect me to give you anything? if you were on my email list, then you could have gotten many emails from me telling you about important things. SO ITS YOUR FAULT, and you have your book and revision guide to help you, if you just studied the revision guide and its questions you could easily get at least 110.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CIE password)
    Let me tell you something, i couldn't find time to do them completely, in unit 1 i had plenty of time to do them, but in June i don't have time, i have many more exams to study for them and solve past papers, that is more important than YOU. And btw, i said send me emails on my my email not here, and in fact 11 students sent me and i did help them and u can ask and see. You didn't even send me an email, and you expect me to give you anything? if you were on my email list, then you could have gotten many emails from me telling you about important things. SO ITS YOUR FAULT, and you have your book and revision guide to help you, if you just studied the revision guide and its questions you could easily get at least 110.
    Lol I don't give a crap about your notes, couldn't care less; it only took a sec to ask so I thought I'd see what other people have in surplus to my thorough revision. I'm not upset at all about it, but other people may be.

you didn't say that about the emails as well, to give it to you in that way, and I can't prove it either because you've deleted most of your VM history, obviously to cover up your contradiction, when before you just asked people to just prescribe their address to you.

I suggest in the future you don't make such bold statements, I'm getting 'revision notes prepared for 120/120', to which 8 people liked and pinned their hopes on, when you can't deliver.

I don't get this either, you were actually taking the exam? I thought you were a teacher, speaking on past experience - the thing about eight students geting full UMS implied so. I quote 'each year we have at least 8 students who get 120/120'. Who is WE?

ReputationRep:
    Lol I don't give a crap about your notes, couldn't care less; it only took a sec to ask so I thought I'd see what other people have in surplus to my thorough revision. I'm not upset at all about it, but other people may be.

you didn't say that about the emails as well, to give it to you in that way, and I can't prove it either because you've deleted most of your VM history, obviously to cover up your contradiction, when before you just asked people to just prescribe their address to you.

I suggest in the future you don't make such bold statements, I'm getting 'revision notes prepared for 120/120', to which 8 people liked and pinned their hopes on, when you can't deliver.

I don't get this either, you were actually taking the exam? I thought you were a teacher, speaking on past experience - the thing about eight students geting full UMS implied so. I quote 'each year we have at least 8 students who get 120/120'. Who is WE?

Ok Ok dude, see, we = school students
    I am a student, doing AS, if i am a teacher i would say that.

Second thing: i always said, send me emails to give you the notes on that date.

Third thing, i saw for you one post where you admitted that you really depend on my notes. Listen, if i were aiming to 120, i wouldn't depend on anyone. I even don't depend on my teacher, he is an excellent teacher, but i don't depend on him. Why you all don't just open the specification and see that HSW is included? so no need for my notes for this part. Why don't open your revision guide? then this means no need for my notes! even if you don't study the book , you can still get 120 so easily. See the past papers, and solve them, then also no need for my notes. So this means, you can do this job by yourself, before the exam time and then search for someone to help you. You can ask many students here who sent me emails to help them.
    I think if you have depended on yourself you could get 120. Look, also, one time on a post you have said something, if i have understood it correctly, which was against islam, my religion. Once i saw this, i really decided not to help you because you don't deserve it. Islam is above everything for me. Got me now?

Sorry for this dude, and please don't reply, i will not read your comment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.