Turn on thread page Beta

When you get your car MOT, cant the mechanic break something & then charge to fix it? watch

ReputationRep:
    I need to take my car in for an MOT tomorrow before i sell my car even though im convinced my car is in good working order and im really worried the mechanics will break something, then come back and say "well you need this to be fixed, that will cost you £800 for the component, £600 for the labour and £120 for VAT"

i know if they do this a lot they will get found out, but in these dire economic times the country is in isnt it more likely the MOT mechanics will sabotage my car a little bit?

im going to sell it for 2 grand, probably to a car garage next week and i expect them to re-sell it for about 3 grand so its a lot of money im worried about lol

ReputationRep:
    £800 for the component lol wtf?

800 pound for a new engine maybe, if it blows up.... lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)

i just meant that as an example!!....do you trust the MOT mechanics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milk <3)
    i just meant that as an example!!....do you trust the MOT mechanics?
    I don't drive, so I don't know sorry.

ReputationRep:

My parents just got quoted 2000 for a new gearbox. And this is a 8 year old peugeot 206. I think you're a little naive about component prices. You realise if the engine costs 800, the body would have to cost over 9000 on a 10 grand car?

ReputationRep:
    Avoid kwik fit, and you should be ok.

If your that worried find a place that doesn't do repairs, just MOT, then you know they
    can't find extra profits from you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talon1579)
    My parents just got quoted 2000 for a new gearbox. And this is a 8 year old peugeot 206. I think you're a little naive about component prices. You realise if the engine costs 800, the body would have to cost over 9000 on a 10 grand car?
    £2000 for a gearbox, might aswell buy a new car....

I'm not talking about brand new, I'm talking about used.....

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have a regular mechanic that you, your parents or your friends go to?

There's no way that the body would cost 9K or a 10k car.

£2000 on a new gearbox is what would be expected. That's why you have breakers yards.

ReputationRep:
    Scrap yard and get one for £150 tops

ReputationRep:
    if you look on the direct government website, there is a list of government owned MOT centres, which do not do any repairs whatsoever. Therefore they have no extra desire to fail your car on items, as they will not profit from offering to fix them.

From moneysaving expert:

"Local Council MOT centres

Many local councils have their own MOT testing stations for council vehicles like buses or ambulances. By law these test centres (though not taxi or Crown stations) must be open to the general public, and as they only carry out tests and don't do repairs, there's no incentive for mechanics to find faults that don't exist.

Centres we have visited tell us that this guide had seen a four fold increase in members of he public visiting. Better still, he said they were grateful as it secured their jobs in times of council cuts... good news as it means you're seen as a welcome customer not an annoying distraction."

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of such a problem.... generally it's highly unlikely mechanics will do such things as reputation once ruined is difficult to rebuild.

Always have a mechanic that you trust, they aren't difficult to find.

ReputationRep:
    my car is an 8 year old peugeot 206 too!

ReputationRep:
    MOT inspectors generally wouldn't pull something like this because if they were caught they would be in big ****.

If you want a second opinion you can use a VOSA or local council testing station. These generally test buses and wagons, but they will do anything and they don't do repair work - so completely impartial. Problem is though, because you will have to take it away from the test centre to get it fixed, I think you will have to pay for a full retest if anything is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Every year I get my MOT I always get an advisory. One year got an advisory for "cracked suspension bushes", my mechanic says they're find so I leave them. The next MOT, nothing about the bushes (which are the same as the ones from the year before!) but I had a melted headlight bulb so they got me on that. Last MOT there - cracked suspension bushes!

My dad's car which had brand new discs front and back was told "there's a hell of a vibration off that brake pedal - your discs are all warped".

Clearly this mechanic hadn't come across ABS before!

ReputationRep:
    Make it clear to any garage carrying out an MOT that they will NOT be doing any subsequent repairs required.

ReputationRep:

Steering rack for a Porsche 928 is over a grand. Guess how I know that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    There's used engines on EBAY for around 500 pounds...

I'm talking about used.

ReputationRep:
    Those awesomely reliable VW cars are currently plagued with DPF failures on their common rail diesel models which can cost from £80 for one of the sensors, through £500 for another, to over £1000 for the full DPF replacing, and they fail A LOT. There are also issues with a wiring loom and the diesel injectors. The loom is just £20, but when it goes it kills injector #2 at £1000. The sudden shutdown of the engine, usually under load can self-destruct the turbo, so another £1000+. And soon after, injectors #1,3 & 4 often fail, one at a time, at £1000 each. In short, DO NOT buy a VW (Seat, Skoda or Audi) once it is out of warranty.

ReputationRep:
    Every local authority has a place that MOTs its council vehicles. They also offer a paid service to the public. They do not do repairs so have no interest in screwing you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    you watch Top Gear whilst self abusing?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.