Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP me with the most important decision of my life?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, it's my absolute dream to be sucessful in the performing arts industry.
    You only live once, so I'm going to succeed.

As you're all aware, a level exam days are nearer. As I've been rejected by back up uni's (BBB) and accepted by only the very high uni's that want AAB (crazy huh?!) so I NEED to get AAB in my a levels..
    Which means I need to go a grade up in every one of my subjects from AS level!! AHH! BBC (AS) to AAB (A2) It's possible...
    Also, I NEED to get into uni this year because I can't handle it with the fees going up and all that!

So thats a problem in itself but...

I also go to theatre company in London, which I love but it kinda takes over my life. I'm there Saturdays 10.30am - 8.30pm.
    So it kinda interfers with studying and then I'm normally dead throughout Sundays (now)
    It's a 2 year course but at the end of 2 years graduattes have been working in film and tv!

At the moment, I'm not enjoying it very much because I'm new and have a rubbish part BUT I know by next year I will probably be much more involved because I'll be a 2nd year and 2nd years are much more involved.

So what I'd LOVE to happen is:
    Go to uni next year and still be at the theatre company which has representation!

BUT as I need to get AAB in my alevels it's a massive risk. So do I leave the company and focus of studies or continue!!?

I'm already super stressed as it. But I just really want both uni and the company!
    I want to study English and Drama at uni. And then go to drama school postgraduate.

But if I don't get into uni at least I'll have the company. But what if i don't get into uni BECAUSE if spending too much time at the company?

Bascily, if you've actually taken time to read that it's much apprecaited and I would love your thoughts and advice please!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend using your time as wisely as possible... you've still got weekdays to work; and Sundays, although you're knackered, you could always try starting work a bit later in the day.

Stick with the company though... if you want to go into the performing arts, you need all the experience and if it's got the representation already, it's a good plan.

But you did say you're not enjoying it very much? I know you're only getting small parts, but realistically, that could be all you're ever going to get. Maybe you should think about what you're really aiming for... a life in the spotlight, or a career in something you're passionate about?

Hope that helped in some small way, and didn't come across as too mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDvW)
    I'd recommend using your time as wisely as possible... you've still got weekdays to work; and Sundays, although you're knackered, you could always try starting work a bit later in the day.

Stick with the company though... if you want to go into the performing arts, you need all the experience and if it's got the representation already, it's a good plan.

But you did say you're not enjoying it very much? I know you're only getting small parts, but realistically, that could be all you're ever going to get. Maybe you should think about what you're really aiming for... a life in the spotlight, or a career in something you're passionate about?

Hope that helped in some small way, and didn't come across as too mean
    Thanks that is true.
    I don't know. I just feel that everyone who has been there longer than me got big parts.
    I want a career in something I'm passionate about.
    I just hate to feel like I'm making the wrong decision and whatever decision I do make there are advantages and disadvantages so I do always feel as if I'm making a wrong decision :/

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Right, your situation is very similar to mine but mine is with sports...and I'm in year 12...but I feel your pain! Anyway, I think you should keep on with the company if you KNOW it will get you where you want to be - weigh up your options. If you drop out of the company and get to this university you want to go to, will you still get the job of your dreams? If not, then definitely stay in the company. You do only live once and whats the point of living if you're not entirely happy with it? But if think you will be in the same position no matter whether you do the company or university, then give it a couple of weeks & assess the situation. If you're getting that stressted in a couple of weeks then maybe think about stopping and restarting next year if you can?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.