Turn on thread page Beta

Uni Student With a Land Rover, Opinions? watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxILWFQfZXA

This. No matter who I see driving one, I think of this.

ReputationRep:
    I learnt my trade on S2 Land Rover Defender so I would think legend, wish I had one! My next door neighbour has one now, I am round there a lot...

ReputationRep:
    Series II Defender???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    Ive had a Land Rover for nearly three years, I fund it with my own money and drive it to and from work and uni.

What are peoples opinions on this? Parts are cheap and insurance is dirt cheap, fuel and tax are however high. Ive wanted one all my life so drive one.

I do all servicing myself.
    Drive what you like, mate. I certainly do.

There was a guy at uni who had a defender V8. I used to share parts with the guy since we were both running the same engines.
    We also used to rev the nuts off our V8's under some eco-lentilist veggie *****'s window when we left for lectures each morning.

The silly ***** marched up to him and gave him a lecture about "killing the planet". What she failed to realise is that i was running the same engine however mine had carbs vs his EFi. Anyway... she was woken to a symphony of "planet killing" each morning for questioning our right to undo the "good work" of 20 prius drivers between us.

Like I said, drive what you like. If anyone wants to question it tell them they can buy it off you for 20 grand and crush it. Otherwise, they can "go forth and multiply".

-JC.

ReputationRep:
    i used to drive landrovers when i was 12 on a private 2 mile road and on the farm, Two of them were series 3 LWB and one series 2, One series 3 i converted to V8. I didnt really like them cause of no power steering but then we had given a defender and my god what a dream to drive compared to the Series 3 and 2. Then after that i started driving 2.0l Montego Estates around which were great to drive and much faster, Had them when i was around 14 years old. But sell the landrover, get a more economical car then buy another landrover at a later date when you have finished uni etc.

ReputationRep:
    ha ha I aint selling my baby!

Nah Defenders are nice but too quite and comfortable, I miss my series whenever I drive a Defender

ReputationRep:
    Series II Defender???
    Yeh, ex-army. I went to a forces school and we used to restore the Defenders that went to the gulf and were at the end of their life.

The gearboxes were full of sand and they still worked like a dream! If anything, I have never seen gears so well polished!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yeh, ex-army. I went to a forces school and we used to restore the Defenders that went to the gulf and were at the end of their life.

The gearboxes were full of sand and they still worked like a dream! If anything, I have never seen gears so well polished!

Defenders are 1990 onward buddy Series II ceased manufacture with the IIA in 1970/71 then cam Series IIIs till 1984, then LR90/LR110 then Defender from'90

ReputationRep:
    Defenders are 1990 onward buddy Series II ceased manufacture with the IIA in 1970/71 then cam Series IIIs till 1984, then LR90/LR110 then Defender from'90
    Oh right, I am sure they were Series II, they had black and white plates so definitely before 1970 so must have been.

They were very simple!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, wouldn't have been a defender, would have had the gauges in the centre of the dash, with 2.25 Petrol if they were army.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, that was it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    We also used to rev the nuts off our V8's under some eco-lentilist veggie *****'s window when we left for lectures each morning.

The silly ***** marched up to him and gave him a lecture about "killing the planet". What she failed to realise is that i was running the same engine however mine had carbs vs his EFi. Anyway... she was woken to a symphony of "planet killing" each morning for questioning our right to undo the "good work" of 20 prius drivers between us.
    LOL!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ive had a Land Rover for nearly three years, I fund it with my own money and drive it to and from work and uni.

What are peoples opinions on this? Parts are cheap and insurance is dirt cheap, fuel and tax are however high. Ive wanted one all my life so drive one.

How did you get such cheap insurance? I was looking at learning to drive over the Summer and picking up a cheap Land Rover, as I'm more than happy to maintain myself, but quotes are through the roof compared to say a Fiesta (about half the cost). Is it more the case that I've looked to insure '97 Cherokees?

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit of a rah thing, at least it is in my area. People who don't reeeally live in the countryside, but count a mile-long drive on their country estate as "off-roading."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    How did you get such cheap insurance? I was looking at learning to drive over the Summer and picking up a cheap Land Rover, as I'm more than happy to maintain myself, but quotes are through the roof compared to say a Fiesta (about half the cost). Is it more the case that I've looked to insure '97 Cherokees?
    When I passed a Ford Fiesta was my first car, insured for around £1,600. When I upgraded to a Land Rover it dropped to about £775

ReputationRep:
    Is your uni off road? Then no.

ReputationRep:
    Its what I want to drive. Nothing wrong with keeping a classic vehicle on the road

ReputationRep:
    When I passed a Ford Fiesta was my first car, insured for around £1,600. When I upgraded to a Land Rover it dropped to about £775
    Hmm what Landie was it?

ReputationRep:

meanwhile in Libya........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetsista)
    meanwhile in Libya........
    Hmm didnt realise Libiya were producers of vegetable oil.

(Original post by DarkWhite)
    1978 Series III SWB .

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.