Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni Student With a Land Rover, Opinions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wow!! Lucky you, Land Rovers are great!!
    Though I do draw the line @ ppl having huge 4x4's when they don't need them

ReputationRep:
    It's not HUGE

ReputationRep:
    I have no opinion. Because I don't care. I'm sure 99% of the student population have the same train of thought.

If you had a Ferrari or Porsche however, I'd think you were a tosser. Because I'd be jealous. Anything else doesn't even warrant a "meh"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    Oh they're safe in the way they will survive a crash, but the lack of crumple zones make it a quite nasty jolt to the occupants
    i love this logic
    my body fixes itself, the landie doesn't, break me not the landie!

and when you say insurance is cheap, how much so?

ReputationRep:
    Currently im 20 paying £500 for a 2.3 diesel. When I got it when I was 18 I had a 1.3 3dr fiesta. The vehicle change dropped my Insurance from £1600 to £775

ReputationRep:
    No excuses for not turning up on snow days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    No excuses for not turning up on snow days.
    Ah but there is either:

Sorry I couldn't get in it was because all the idiot drivers in their little euro boxes can't drive in the snow and blocked the road, stopping me from getting in.

Or

It's an old Landrover and because of the cold weather it wouldn't start and I had to spend all day fixing it.

Or

You turn up at Uni and nobody else gets there then you turn round and go home again, pulling people up hills and out of ditches at £10 a go that's how it's cheap to run.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! But I don't charge people

ReputationRep:
    I fitted my car (S2k) with Winter tyres this winter, I was out performing all other cars on the road, including some soft 4x4s and a the bigger variants. Alas, the Land Rovers were doing alright as well haha!

Not bad for a low slung RWD sports car...

Its all about your tyres when it comes to Snow and bad conditions.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm didnt realise Libiya were producers of vegetable oil.

1978 Series III SWB .
    What age were you?

Only saying because the cheapest I can find is a little over £2k, for a Series III Landie, '97 for example. It's being parked on a driveway in a very low crime area, has sufficient alarm/immobiliser, clean licence,1 19 yrs old etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ithink that's pretty awesome man. I don't see an issue with it.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had a Land Rover for nearly three years, I fund it with my own money and drive it to and from work and uni.

What are peoples opinions on this? Parts are cheap and insurance is dirt cheap, fuel and tax are however high. Ive wanted one all my life so drive one.

I do all servicing myself.
    cheap insurance???????

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good to me, not very practical but who cares, and if you get to do a bit of 'gentle off-roading' (if there is such a thing) then you're a total winner

Ive had a Land Rover for nearly three years, I fund it with my own money and drive it to and from work and uni.

What are peoples opinions on this? Parts are cheap and insurance is dirt cheap, fuel and tax are however high. Ive wanted one all my life so drive one.

I do all servicing myself.
    If you are in the city then I think you shouldn't have it... in the country is different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LondonMinx)
    This is true, although the figure is probably higher. When I had a jeep I did not use 4WD once!
    Heh, tsk! tsk! :rolleyes:

If I had a Landrover I'd go **** up someone's rolling fields in it at least once a month, just to justify me ownership!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    What age were you?

Only saying because the cheapest I can find is a little over £2k, for a Series III Landie, '97 for example. It's being parked on a driveway in a very low crime area, has sufficient alarm/immobiliser, clean licence,1 19 yrs old etc.
    Series III stopped being made in 1984...... And an imboliser? Ha! I got it Aged 18 started at £775 on insurance. I'm 21 this June
    And paying a little over £500

Yes the insurance is cheap

ReputationRep:
    I would think "what a pr*ck", before riding off on my fixie.

ReputationRep:
    Series III stopped being made in 1984...... And an imboliser? Ha! I got it Aged 18 started at £775 on insurance. I'm 21 this June
    And paying a little over £500

Yes the insurance is cheap
    Typo, '77.

Where did you get your insurance from? I'm really struggling with this one! I can get an old Fiesta insured for £400, but nothing cheap for Landie :/

ReputationRep:
    Try your local NFU. Not the 0870 line....

Im parked next to a range rover sport at uni as we speak. Mine looks so much better! Not keen on new ones.

ReputationRep:
    Try your local NFU. Not the 0870 line....

Im parked next to a range rover sport at uni as we speak. Mine looks so much better! Not keen on new ones.
    I'll have the new one thanks

Must be a loaded fellow to have a RR Sport while at uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.