Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which should I choose? Will buying my own food and cooking it be cheaper? How good is the food in catered and what's the variety like? Any quick recipes if i do take non catered :confused:

ReputationRep:
    buying your own food will be easier and probably cheaper in the long run, it also lets you be more flexible with when and where you want to eat

ReputationRep:
    True but the thing is that I am not that great a cook but I want to save money as well. I cant survive on cereals and sandwiches alone. Do you know any quick meals that are easy to make?

ReputationRep:
    You can buy or borrow from the library loads of good student cook books with recipes in to help you. You have to start somewhere. As well as this, if you have a freezer make sure you have some frozen veg and chips etc in case you cant be bothered or have the time to cook. its what i tend to do when i'm home alone this is what i plan to do as i wish to go self catered, only in year 12 though so got some time to go
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Non, it isn't hard to learn to make basic meals.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone will be in the same situation.
    I personally am choosing self catered as I'm excited about the thought of cooking my own though I realise it isn't for everyone x

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing self catered, as i REALLY need to be more independent, and cook my own meals! Also, you have much more flexibility, and can go out for meals etc. It will be cheaper as well, as imo food on campus is overpriced, and you can get really good deals on food in supermarkets!

ReputationRep:
    Self catered, imho. You can choose when you want to eat and it's easy to master the basics. Even I can make a decent pasta sauce. Trust me, that means it's easy.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way, I pay £660 a month and I'm not catered. If you're good at budgeting I'd go non-catered, but if you find yourself regularly really having to stretch the last £100 of your overdraft then remember that if you're catered, there will always be a meal waiting for you regardless of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee2489)
    True but the thing is that I am not that great a cook but I want to save money as well. I cant survive on cereals and sandwiches alone. Do you know any quick meals that are easy to make?
    Pasta with a basic sauce is piss-easy.

All you need is pasta, flour, milk and something to flavour it with. I use ketchup/bbq sauce and Worcestershire sauce.

What you do is fry up any uncooked meat that you want to have in the sauce in a pan with a bit of oil (I use bacon). Add a teaspoon of plain flour and mix it in until the it turns brown. Pour in about 100ml of milk and stir. Put in whatever flavourings you want. Chuck in any other ingredients such as mushrooms, veg, onions etc. and stir. It should take 10 minutes.

Whilst doing this you should simultaneously boil a pan of water and when boiling put in whatever pasta you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream_merchant)
    You can buy or borrow from the library loads of good student cook books with recipes in to help you. You have to start somewhere. As well as this, if you have a freezer make sure you have some frozen veg and chips etc in case you cant be bothered or have the time to cook. its what i tend to do when i'm home alone this is what i plan to do as i wish to go self catered, only in year 12 though so got some time to go

Thanks this really helps. I think I might even buy some microwavable food. Just hope I don't end up going up in dress sizes while in uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Pasta with a basic sauce is piss-easy.

All you need is pasta, flour, milk and something to flavour it with. I use ketchup/bbq sauce and Worcestershire sauce.

What you do is fry up any uncooked meat that you want to have in the sauce in a pan with a bit of oil (I use bacon). Add a teaspoon of plain flour and mix it in until the it turns brown. Pour in about 100ml of milk and stir. Put in whatever flavourings you want. Chuck in any other ingredients such as mushrooms, veg, onions etc. and stir. It should take 10 minutes.

Whilst doing this you should simultaneously boil a pan of water and when boiling put in whatever pasta you want.

Om nom nom. Really want to give this a try now

ReputationRep:
    Om nom nom. Really want to give this a try now
    It's delish. And what makes it better is that you made it. The sweet taste of success.

ReputationRep:
    Self-catered.
    Usually the food when you're being catered for isn't very good or healthy.
    Aside from that, it'll be cheaper to buy your own food, and then you get to choose when you eat.
    It doesn't matter if you're not a good cook, because another upside is that it gives you the opportunity to experiment and BECOME good at cooking.
    All my friends that were catered regretted it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Self-catered.
    It doesn't matter if you're not a good cook, because another upside is that it gives you the opportunity to experiment and BECOME good at cooking.

This makes me want to take up non catered and for all I know I'll soon become a kitchen Goddess after university

ReputationRep:
    Which should I choose? Will buying my own food and cooking it be cheaper? How good is the food in catered and what's the variety like? Any quick recipes if i do take non catered :confused:
    Cooking for yourself is cheaper, allows you to be more flexible with your food as you're not stuck with whatever is provided for you and allows you to eat at times that suit you.

Even if you can't cook its a great time to learn, nobody has to eat your food except you so it doesn't matter if it's rubbish, as long as it's edible, and if you do learn to cook properly then it will be a valuable skill for life.

ReputationRep:
    This makes me want to take up non catered and for all I know I'll soon become a kitchen Goddess after university
    Seriously, it's a lot better.
    And you only learn to do things by trying... This is the perfect time. I've learned lots about cooking while at uni, and then you'll know a decent amount for when you leave
    Just remember to try new things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Even if you can't cook its a great time to learn, nobody has to eat your food except you so it doesn't matter if it's rubbish, as long as it's edible, and if you do learn to cook properly then it will be a valuable skill for life.

Lolz having to eat my own cooked food is the part that worries me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Seriously, it's a lot better.
    And you only learn to do things by trying... This is the perfect time. I've learned lots about cooking while at uni, and then you'll know a decent amount for when you leave
    Just remember to try new things

Have you come across any good recipes? I would love to learn how to bake specially some healthy goodies.

ReputationRep:
    During my freshers fortnight there were free lessons on how to cook basic meals on a budget, your uni may have something similar.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.