Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee2489)
    Have you come across any good recipes? I would love to learn how to bake specially some healthy goodies.
    Well there's all kinds of things, it depends what kind of food you like.
    But, don't get stuck following recipes exactly, you have to put your own touch on it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKGB)
    During my freshers fortnight there were free lessons on how to cook basic meals on a budget, your uni may have something similar.
    Which uni did/are you going to? I am planning on either city uni London or RHUL. Now that's another decision I need to make as well

ReputationRep:
    Which uni did/are you going to? I am planning on either city uni London or RHUL. Now that's another decision I need to make as well
    Neither of them but I am in London, what are you going to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKGB)
    Neither of them but I am in London, what are you going to study?

So which uni did you go to? I am planning on doing creative writing. Oooh since you are in London could you tell me what sort of a placeAngel/Isllington is? I think I'll be firming City uni soon though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Well there's all kinds of things, it depends what kind of food you like.
    But, don't get stuck following recipes exactly, you have to put your own touch on it all
    Thats true

ReputationRep:
    So which uni did you go to? I am planning on doing creative writing. Oooh since you are in London could you tell me what sort of a placeAngel/Isllington is? I think I'll be firming City uni soon though.
    Greenwich.

I've only been to Islington once and it's not a bad place, it's seen as being one of the more "affluent' areas of London so it might be quite expensive but you'll have the whole of London within easy reach, Kings Cross and Camden are nearby and they're good for night-life. RHUL is further out from London but the campus is beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKGB)
    Greenwich.

I've only been to Islington once and it's not a bad place, it's seen as being one of the more "affluent' areas of London so it might be quite expensive but you'll have the whole of London within easy reach, Kings Cross and Camden are nearby and they're good for night-life. RHUL is further out from London but the campus is beautiful.
    Islington sounds pretty good. I fell in love with the RHUL campus, it reminds me of Hogwarts

ReputationRep:
    Which should I choose? Will buying my own food and cooking it be cheaper? How good is the food in catered and what's the variety like? Any quick recipes if i do take non catered :confused:
    Which uni are we talking aabout here? Cos it varies e.g. Where I'm going it actually works out cheaper to go catered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel08)
    Which uni are we talking aabout here? Cos it varies e.g. Where I'm going it actually works out cheaper to go catered
    RHUL and city uni London. I'll be firming one of them but the accommodation prices are almost the same. Where do you go?

ReputationRep:
    RHUL and city uni London. I'll be firming one of them but the accommodation prices are almost the same. Where do you go?
    Hoping to go to Nottingham this September.

If I were you, I'd look at a certain room type (eg standard single) and compare how much that would be catered and then non catered and see if the difference is a reasonable amount for a years worth of food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel08)
    Hoping to go to Nottingham this September.

If I were you, I'd look at a certain room type (eg standard single) and compare how much that would be catered and then non catered and see if the difference is a reasonable amount for a years worth of food

Well RHUL's catered deal is basically 50 per cent off the food in the cafeteria which I think might be a rip off. All the best with Notts

ReputationRep:
    Well RHUL's catered deal is basically 50 per cent off the food in the cafeteria which I think might be a rip off. All the best with Notts
    Thanks
    Self-catered is often better cos you can choose when and what you eat. Most of my friends are going self-catered wherever they're going and very often it does work out cheaper. I think mine's a bit of an odd one out really :confused:

ReputationRep:
    For me, self-catered all the way.
    Mainly because I'm not up or don't feel like eating in the morning so breakfast would be a huge waste for me.
    Also, here dinner is quite early in catered halls, like 5 or 6, for me I'd be hungry again before I went to bed :p:
    Although some days I do admit it would be nice to have food done for you, I wouldn't want it everyday.
    Any I can always get a takeaway or just throw something in the oven for days when I cba to cook.
    Lastly, for me, self-catered has worked out cheaper than catered

ReputationRep:
    i wanted to go self catered, but ended up in catered, and in a way its saved me money because my dining in scheme card money comes out of my rent, and i only pay £60 a week due to sharing a room.

i like being in catered because i have the choice of going up to the canteen and having my food cooked, but i also have the freedom of cooking my own food if i want (we still have a kitchen in our flat)

but i guess its how unis work, as my friend has ended up in catered, and she has to share a communal kitchen with about 40 other students, so finds that difficult, but i share with 6 other... so i get the best of both worlds really, but with 2 months left at uni iv pretty much run out of cash on my card, so from here im cooking, which dont get me wrong i love cooking, and have the food in, i just never have time, or can be arsed to cook just for me, as im used to cooking for 4 or 5 back home...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.