Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which London or Suburban London Neighbourhood Would this Person Probably Reside? watch

ReputationRep:
    If you had to bet on where a certain type of person would most likely reside in London, or around the suburbs of London, where most probably would that be?

The person in question is:

-Single, pretty, fashionably dressed female
    -24-29 years of age
    -educated in private all-girl's boarding school
    -Graduated from Oxford or Cambridge
    -Cultured, Well-Traveled and Sophisticated
    -Works as a professional in either the arts, publishing or higher education
    -Hails from a fairly wealthy family--though certainly not super rich or A-List celeb
    -Is of English ancestry from an Anglican background
    -Again, her family has some money and are certainly well bred on the social ladder, but they are far from super rich. Let's say her father is a surgeon and her mother is decended from an old merchant family.

Which neighbourhoods around London would this type of individual most likely reside?

That is, if you were a betting person, and you had to make a guess--keeping in mind the realities of the modern economy and housing prices--where abouts in London would a person like this most likely hang her hat?

I'm writing a piece of fiction and my knowledge of contemporary London society is limited. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think she would either share a flat with another girl on one of the roads between Liverpool Road and Upper Street. That's Islington.

Or if you want to go South, she share a terraced house in Putney, but would obviously move to Northcote Road (Battersea) when she becomes a Yummy Mummy.

ReputationRep:
    As long as she's away from me, I honestly don't give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Richmond

ReputationRep:
    South Kensington or Islington.

ReputationRep:
    Clapham Common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    South Kensington or Islington.
    Perhaps if she were a millionaire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP1989)
    Perhaps if she were a millionaire.
    Not so.

Rent in a decent 3-bed apartment is about what £1800 a month? A lot of young people share.. and £900 a month is affordable for a lot of young professionals.

I could be wrong and rent maybe is higher now.

ReputationRep:
    Highgate/Hampstead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Not so.

Rent in a decent 3-bed apartment is about what £1800 a month? A lot of young people share.. and £900 a month is affordable for a lot of young professionals.

I could be wrong and rent maybe is higher now.
    Hmm, I'm not sure if it'd be decent at that price. Besides, his character doesn't seem the sort to 'sell out' and go for SK. It's more a playground for the internationals.

Also, I assumed as an intelligent woman she wouldn't waste money renting a property.

ReputationRep:
    Since she 'works' in arts. Probably shares a 1 bed council flat in peckham with 3 other girls.

ReputationRep:
    Muswell Hill/Highgate

ReputationRep:
    I actually don't like this character already. Is her name Zoe or Genevieve?

Is this chick-lit? Is she going to have to choose between Ed the metrosexual PR guy from Hoxton and Dan, the dashing polo-playing Army officer? All the while being tempted by her best friend's new husband - Callum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molokai)
    Muswell Hill/Highgate
    Muswell Hill is where they go after they get married to centre-left barristers, or media types. Single people very rarely live in Muswell Hill because the transport sucks, and its full of screaming kids.

They might live in Crouch End and go to Muswell Hill once a week for a coffee, or to buy shoes at Kate Kuba.

The demographic of most of Highgate is much older than you might think.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of Phillipa or Penelope. What do you think? Ha ha. You can picture her can't you? Golden curly tossled hair, blue-eyed, flawlwss fair complection, tall--very W.A.S.P.y upper middle class English looking girl. The type you'd see getting pissed at Royal Ascot on Ladies Day.

ReputationRep:
    Notting Hill, Richmond, Islington, Stockwell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timon)
    I was thinking of Phillipa or Penelope. What do you think? Ha ha. You can picture her can't you? Golden curly tossled hair, blue-eyed, flawlwss fair complection, tall--very W.A.S.P.y upper middle class English looking girl. The type you'd see getting pissed at Royal Ascot on Ladies Day.
    Do let me know if you get published so I can avoid your book.

ReputationRep:
    Richmond or Notting Hill imo
    maybe ealing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    Notting Hill, Richmond, Islington, Stockwell
    Stockwell lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Do let me know if you get published so I can avoid your book.
    Sure. For you--anything. Thanks for the reply.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.