Turn on thread page Beta

Which London or Suburban London Neighbourhood Would this Person Probably Reside? watch

ReputationRep:
    Would Parson's Green in Fullham fit this profile? How about Surbiton or Teddington too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timon)
    I was thinking of Phillipa or Penelope. What do you think? Ha ha. You can picture her can't you? Golden curly tossled hair, blue-eyed, flawlwss fair complection, tall--very W.A.S.P.y upper middle class English looking girl. The type you'd see getting pissed at Royal Ascot on Ladies Day.
    I think you've got your archetypes mixed up. The first girl you describe and the second girl are completely different.

The first one - late 20s, girls public school, arts, middle class etc - that's a woman whose parents were comfortable and lived somewhere like Highgate or Richmond, but aren't necessarily very WASPy. In fact more likely to be Independent-reading do-gooders. Probably used to vote Liberal and now are voting Green. She's much more likely to be called Genevieve or Lucy or maybe even Cait.

The second one - Penny or Pippa, is someone completely different - her parents are very well off indeed, or at least very established. If these sort of girls work at all, it wouldn't be in Higher Education. The person you're describing here sounds like her father would be Grandpa Pig off Peppa Pig. If her name isn't Penny or Pippa, it might be Flick or Cordelia.

Essentially, the first girl is the one in the Operation Raleigh or Gap Year photos. The second one is the one on the front cover of the Jack Wills catalogue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I actually don't like this character already. Is her name Zoe or Genevieve?

Is this chick-lit? Is she going to have to choose between Ed the metrosexual PR guy from Hoxton and Dan, the dashing polo-playing Army officer? All the while being tempted by her best friend's new husband - Callum?

That made me burst out laughing!!

ReputationRep:
    I would say Notting Hill or Angel, and possibly Spitalfields or Shoreditch.

(Original post by Clip)
    I actually don't like this character already. Is her name Zoe or Genevieve?

Is this chick-lit? Is she going to have to choose between Ed the metrosexual PR guy from Hoxton and Dan, the dashing polo-playing Army officer? All the while being tempted by her best friend's new husband - Callum?
    I LOLed so much :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Spitalfields is a good shot.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not going to be somewhere like Tower Hamlets. Notting Hill, Hampstead or Richmond IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I think you've got your archetypes mixed up. The first girl you describe and the second girl are completely different.

The first one - late 20s, girls public school, arts, middle class etc - that's a woman whose parents were comfortable and lived somewhere like Highgate or Richmond, but aren't necessarily very WASPy. In fact more likely to be Independent-reading do-gooders. Probably used to vote Liberal and now are voting Green. She's much more likely to be called Genevieve or Lucy or maybe even Cait.

The second one - Penny or Pippa, is someone completely different - her parents are very well off indeed, or at least very established. If these sort of girls work at all, it wouldn't be in Higher Education. The person you're describing here sounds like her father would be Grandpa Pig off Peppa Pig. If her name isn't Penny or Pippa, it might be Flick or Cordelia.

Essentially, the first girl is the one in the Operation Raleigh or Gap Year photos. The second one is the one on the front cover of the Jack Wills catalogue.
    Got you. Well, I guess I'm invisioning Girl No. 2. I see your point, but we also have to remember that a lot of these old money W.A.S.P.y types ran out of cash a few generations ago, and the economic transformation we've witnessed since 1980 have priced most of these people out of wealth and high-rent places like South Kensington and Sloane Square. I believe those areas are now full of Chinese and Russian billionaires. The first girl you described sounds like a nice girl from a nice Jewish family in North London or St. Albans. I'm thinking more of a the secoond girl you called Penny or Pippa. Again, I agree with you on everything else, but I don't see those piles of cash being available anymore. If anything Girl No. 1's family did well during these last 20 years at the expense of families like those of Girl No. 2. Okay then, tell me some more about Girl No. 2. Where would one of these old rah/sloaney types live today in this over priced London property market? After graduating with her Art History, English, or Classics degree at 21 or 22, where and what would she be living and doing by about 25, assuming she hasn't married or become seriously attached to a man yet. Would you agree our Girl No. 2 was raised in some place like Sevenoaks, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Dorking, Epsom, etc.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timon)
    Got you. Well, I guess I'm invisioning Girl No. 2. I see your point, but we also have to remember that a lot of these old money W.A.S.P.y types ran out of cash a few generations ago, and the economic transformation we've witnessed since 1980 have priced most of these people out of wealth and high-rent places like South Kensington and Sloane Square. I believe those areas are now full of Chinese and Russian billionaires. The first girl you described sounds like a nice girl from a nice Jewish family in North London or St. Albans. I'm thinking more of a the secoond girl you called Penny or Pippa. Again, I agree with you on everything else, but I don't see those piles of cash being available anymore. If anything Girl No. 1's family did well during these last 20 years at the expense of families like those of Girl No. 2. Okay then, tell me some more about Girl No. 2. Where would one of these old rah/sloaney types live today in this over priced London property market? After graduating with her Art History, English, or Classics degree at 21 or 22, where and what would she be living and doing by about 25, assuming she hasn't married or become seriously attached to a man yet. Would you agree our Girl No. 2 was raised in some place like Sevenoaks, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Dorking, Epsom, etc.?
    Not necessarily. There's plenty of money sloshing around for everyone, really and I don't see Epsom being appreciably cheaper than somewhere in London.

She might as well be from somewhere really expensive, like Virginia Water. School depends on if she boarded or not. If she did, then maybe St. Swithuns, or Royal Masonic if you want to have a side-plot (I had a girlfriend from Royal Masonic once - mad as a box of frogs). If she was a day girl, then you'll have to cook something up (if its even important). University - why not St. Andrews? One of my neighbours went there and knew Kate Middleton, although they didn't particularly get on (how she regrets that now). You could nick that, I'm sure my neighbour won't mind.

After university, she bums around with her mates travelling for a year, before they start to get married, but your character does whatever nonsense - PR for parties or new bars opening, or something. One of her school friends went to Norland College, and got a high-paying nanny job in New York for some Wall Street big shot, so your girl went out there for six months to hang around with her friend - (so she knows NY a bit, and has a friend there who might come back later on). Now she's back and hasn't particularly got much money, and her parents have had enough of giving her handouts as she should be married by now. She's got a job at a big charity in Farringdon, which she hates because a lot of the other girls are nothing like her and a bit *****y, really; and being an NGO has very few straight men working in the office. At least she has a nice flat in Holland Park* which she shares with three other girls. Problem is one of them has just left to move in with a boyfriend. They can't afford the rent without her, so they are interviewing for a new flatmate, just like on the Mars Planets ads....

You could start in media res, with the interviews of the various nutters that come along, like the male hairdresser at Trevor Sorbie who is pretending to be gay, but isn't; a Latvian hooker and a Masters student at Goldsmiths who wants to bring her oboe and the rest of her woodwind quartet for practice.

*Holland Park isn't unrealistic, especially if there are four sharing. It's also equidistant from Westbourne Grove for the cool shops, Westfield if she wants to slum it, and being West London, you can bring in the intrigue of the two Australian tree-surgeons next door, Rhett and Brad.

ReputationRep:
    Come to think of it, do you need a ghost writer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timon)
    Sure. For you--anything. Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry that was too harsh. It just too cliche and like a character that I'd find annoying rather than have any kind of connection with.

ReputationRep:
    Bloomsbury, Camden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Not necessarily. There's plenty of money sloshing around for everyone, really and I don't see Epsom being appreciably cheaper than somewhere in London.

She might as well be from somewhere really expensive, like Virginia Water. School depends on if she boarded or not. If she did, then maybe St. Swithuns, or Royal Masonic if you want to have a side-plot (I had a girlfriend from Royal Masonic once - mad as a box of frogs). If she was a day girl, then you'll have to cook something up (if its even important). University - why not St. Andrews? One of my neighbours went there and knew Kate Middleton, although they didn't particularly get on (how she regrets that now). You could nick that, I'm sure my neighbour won't mind.

After university, she bums around with her mates travelling for a year, before they start to get married, but your character does whatever nonsense - PR for parties or new bars opening, or something. One of her school friends went to Norland College, and got a high-paying nanny job in New York for some Wall Street big shot, so your girl went out there for six months to hang around with her friend - (so she knows NY a bit, and has a friend there who might come back later on). Now she's back and hasn't particularly got much money, and her parents have had enough of giving her handouts as she should be married by now. She's got a job at a big charity in Farringdon, which she hates because a lot of the other girls are nothing like her and a bit *****y, really; and being an NGO has very few straight men working in the office. At least she has a nice flat in Holland Park* which she shares with three other girls. Problem is one of them has just left to move in with a boyfriend. They can't afford the rent without her, so they are interviewing for a new flatmate, just like on the Mars Planets ads....

You could start in media res, with the interviews of the various nutters that come along, like the male hairdresser at Trevor Sorbie who is pretending to be gay, but isn't; a Latvian hooker and a Masters student at Goldsmiths who wants to bring her oboe and the rest of her woodwind quartet for practice.

*Holland Park isn't unrealistic, especially if there are four sharing. It's also equidistant from Westbourne Grove for the cool shops, Westfield if she wants to slum it, and being West London, you can bring in the intrigue of the two Australian tree-surgeons next door, Rhett and Brad.
    Ha ha, I like your style, Clip. However, my version of this girl would go on after university to do something a little more cerebral. I was thinking that her St. Swithun's education and a History of Art or an English degree would have landed her a decent enough job at a trendy London art gallery or into a junior position at a Bloomsbury book publisher.

As far as where to live, I understand the Parsons Green area of Fulham is home to a good number of rahs and people of our character's clique. Apparently Sloane Square and the Kings Road are no longer affordable places to live unles you are a Russian oligarch, American oilman or a Chinese mult-billionaire. Most of the new generation of the old Sloane Ranger crowd, I'm told, have picked up sticks and moved further out to places like Parsons Green, Putney, Richmond, Kew, Battersea, Clapham Common, and even Balham. Notting Hill Gate and Holland Park were still affordable (and desirable) in their older brothers' and sisters' era, but that too, I'm told, has become almost too exclusive and has consequently aged and is starting to show signs of becoming more of a nappy land and family area. Islington, as some of these people would say, is a great place to go out for a meal, but I wouldn't want to live that far east. Just too much of the oasis in the middle of a desert feel to it, the old Sloney set would say.

Now, with regard to marriage. This generation of twentysomethings usually hold off on that formality to near or just after their 30th birthday. Even co-habitation with their main boyfriend, nowadays, doesn't really start getting common till most girls are in their late 20s. So if our Phillipa graduates from Oxford at 21 (...or 22 if she took a gap year), and even possibly stayed on for a one-year MA course, this would get us to about 22 or 23 when she finally enters the world of adulthood and gainful employment. Therefore, girls much like our Phillipa have a 5-7 year window of not being in a committed relationship with a man, and living independently from her own means...except, of course her inheritance money from Grand papa and a trust fund set up by Daddy. Either way, girls being girls, I agree with you, she is still probably goint to want to live with at least one or two other girls in this period.

As far as her upbringing, I would think her parents, like most upper middle-class people getting married and having kids in the early 1980s moved their families from inner suburban London to the outer suburban commuter towns of Surrey, Berks, Bucks or Kent. So if her parents were from Richmond, Twickenham or Teddington originally, they most likely moved out to places like Sunningdale, Godalming, Farnham, Haslemere, Dorking, Epsom, Reigate, Sevenoaks or Royal Tunbridge Wells. I should think places like Esher, Weybridge, Virginia Water, and Cobham might be just a little too full of 'footballers wives', show-business types and lottery winners' kitsch for people of Phillipa's parents' breeding. I miight be wrong on this one, so please let me know. I'm only guessing. However, please remember, I'd like this character to come from an affluent family of old W.A.S.P.y bluestocking bloodlines, but like most of that crowd, their families are no longer as wealthy as they were in their great-grandparents time. Similar to what you see in the old upper class aristocratic families. They may have a title, but they no longer have the money to maintain their castles and stately homes. I believe many of the old upper-middle class English families went through a similar transformation in the late 20th century to what happened to the upper class aristocrats in the beginning of the 20th century. For instance, old English institutions that were once the bastions of English Protestant upper and upper-middle class dominance are now over-run by wealthy foreigners or the descendents of impoverished 19th and 20th century immigrants. Private elite boarding schools like Eton and Rodean are now dominated by foreign students. People descended from immigrants fleeing the pogroms of Eastern Europe would go on to take the place of people like Phillipa's family at the the forefront of the professions in Britain and eventually surpass them in wealth and noteriety. So with that in mind, I'm trying to get a realistic early 21st century version of what became of families like Phillipa's.

So does this sound reasonable to you?

Would a character like Phillipa live in such a manner and in such areas of London?

Thanks again, your insight is invaluable!

ReputationRep:
    Highgate or Hampstead

for sureee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timon)
    Ha ha, I like your style, Clip. However, my version of this girl would go on after university to do something a little more cerebral. I was thinking that her St. Swithun's education and a History of Art or an English degree would have landed her a decent enough job at a trendy London art gallery or into a junior position at a Bloomsbury book publisher.

As far as where to live, I understand the Parsons Green area of Fulham is home to a good number of rahs and people of our character's clique. Apparently Sloane Square and the Kings Road are no longer affordable places to live unles you are a Russian oligarch, American oilman or a Chinese mult-billionaire. Most of the new generation of the old Sloane Ranger crowd, I'm told, have picked up sticks and moved further out to places like Parsons Green, Putney, Richmond, Kew, Battersea, Clapham Common, and even Balham. Notting Hill Gate and Holland Park were still affordable (and desirable) in their older brothers' and sisters' era, but that too, I'm told, has become almost too exclusive and has consequently aged and is starting to show signs of becoming more of a nappy land and family area. Islington, as some of these people would say, is a great place to go out for a meal, but I wouldn't want to live that far east. Just too much of the oasis in the middle of a desert feel to it, the old Sloney set would say.

Now, with regard to marriage. This generation of twentysomethings usually hold off on that formality to near or just after their 30th birthday. Even co-habitation with their main boyfriend, nowadays, doesn't really start getting common till most girls are in their late 20s. So if our Phillipa graduates from Oxford at 21 (...or 22 if she took a gap year), and even possibly stayed on for a one-year MA course, this would get us to about 22 or 23 when she finally enters the world of adulthood and gainful employment. Therefore, girls much like our Phillipa have a 5-7 year window of not being in a committed relationship with a man, and living independently from her own means...except, of course her inheritance money from Grand papa and a trust fund set up by Daddy. Either way, girls being girls, I agree with you, she is still probably goint to want to live with at least one or two other girls in this period.

As far as her upbringing, I would think her parents, like most upper middle-class people getting married and having kids in the early 1980s moved their families from inner suburban London to the outer suburban commuter towns of Surrey, Berks, Bucks or Kent. So if her parents were from Richmond, Twickenham or Teddington originally, they most likely moved out to places like Sunningdale, Godalming, Farnham, Haslemere, Dorking, Epsom, Reigate, Sevenoaks or Royal Tunbridge Wells. I should think places like Esher, Weybridge, Virginia Water, and Cobham might be just a little too full of 'footballers wives', show-business types and lottery winners' kitsch for people of Phillipa's parents' breeding. I miight be wrong on this one, so please let me know. I'm only guessing. However, please remember, I'd like this character to come from an affluent family of old W.A.S.P.y bluestocking bloodlines, but like most of that crowd, their families are no longer as wealthy as they were in their great-grandparents time. Similar to what you see in the old upper class aristocratic families. They may have a title, but they no longer have the money to maintain their castles and stately homes. I believe many of the old upper-middle class English families went through a similar transformation in the late 20th century to what happened to the upper class aristocrats in the beginning of the 20th century. For instance, old English institutions that were once the bastions of English Protestant upper and upper-middle class dominance are now over-run by wealthy foreigners or the descendents of impoverished 19th and 20th century immigrants. Private elite boarding schools like Eton and Rodean are now dominated by foreign students. People descended from immigrants fleeing the pogroms of Eastern Europe would go on to take the place of people like Phillipa's family at the the forefront of the professions in Britain and eventually surpass them in wealth and noteriety. So with that in mind, I'm trying to get a realistic early 21st century version of what became of families like Phillipa's.

Would a character like Phillipa live in such a manner and in such areas of London?

Clip, what do you think?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 19, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.