Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack McGill)
    Yes, but surely if you go to a univeristy that offers placements and you take them up on that then you will gain the same advantage as going to Aston, although they may offer better placements than other universities.
    The point was that Aston have it as standard, this means the business school has both a dedicated department for making sure Aston students get a placement, as well as strong links with organisations who have used Aston students year after year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AartiSmarti)
    oh damn.
    just have to hope for the best then i suppose!
    do you know anything about their foundation year? apparently it's a human life sciences course, for a year, which takes you straight into the course the next year.
    i don't really know about the foundation degrees, but i have read that Aston will be charging the maximum fee for their courses, if that would influence your choices.

Scroll to the bottom there is a list of the universities planning to charge the maximum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.galloway)
    i don't really know about the foundation degrees, but i have read that Aston will be charging the maximum fee for their courses, if that would influence your choices.

Scroll to the bottom there is a list of the universities planning to charge the maximum
    that's from 2012 onwards, so it's alright for me

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Aston student, studying Pharmacy (1st year), and I can tell you, Aston is a really Good university to study at. Better than any other University (from my experience at open days that is), but since I study in Aston, I can tell you that I'm loving every moment of studying there.

No idea why it's underrated, but I feel the same way as you. Ah well, =(

ReputationRep:
    im applying to aston for optometry this year.... its going to be my firm, so hopefully they will give me a slightly easier offer than the typical AAA
    I havent been to see the aston campus but ive heard that its not too bad... im going to the open day on the 21st so we shall see :P
    The people on here are right though... the student guides are ****.... i went to a university fair a while back, and i wrote a full page of questions that i wanted to ask the aston people, and when i got there to speak to them they just looked like they couldnt be bothered and were being really uptight and b****y, and i was really upset
    Oh well.... i will have the last laugh... heh heh hehhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    I went there years ago when a student could still get a FULL bursary from the SERC to cover the cost of an MSc and have some money left over. I rather liked the fact that it didn't have any humanities students and the quality of teaching was generally very good. The student union was lacking--probably related to the relative small size of the university--but that didn't bother me too much.

I wouldn't write it off without paying a visit first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fezzes_Are_Cool)
    im applying to aston for optometry this year.... its going to be my firm, so hopefully they will give me a slightly easier offer than the typical AAA
    I havent been to see the aston campus but ive heard that its not too bad... im going to the open day on the 21st so we shall see :P
    The people on here are right though... the student guides are ****.... i went to a university fair a while back, and i wrote a full page of questions that i wanted to ask the aston people, and when i got there to speak to them they just looked like they couldnt be bothered and were being really uptight and b****y, and i was really upset
    Oh well.... i will have the last laugh... heh heh hehhhhhh
    Were they students or staff out of interest? Cos if they were getting paid to do it and it's their job then that was pretty bad of them.

ReputationRep:
    Like every other university Aston has good and bad points. For the most part, mind you, I really enjoy my course and studying there, except when it comes to handing anything in to the respective offices for my course (LSS and LHS) because the receptionists are usually either complete *****es or ****ing clueless. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Were they students or staff out of interest? Cos if they were getting paid to do it and it's their job then that was pretty bad of them.
    yep... they just looked like they couldnt be bothered to listen to me and wanted me to go away, which kind of p***ed me off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fezzes_Are_Cool)
    yep... they just looked like they couldnt be bothered to listen to me and wanted me to go away, which kind of p***ed me off
    That sucks! I used to do the same job so I get that it is annoying sometimes if you get asked similar questions but it comes as part of the job so it's important. Feel free to ask here if you still want anything answered

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open day. Didn't choose it in the end but I liked the university. It's true that there's lots of construction going on and that there's a disproportionate representation of foreign students (its in Birmingham city centre what do you expect?) but I really liked how modern it was compared to the other universities I saw and its location is really great. At the end of the day, I had a better first choice though and no way was I going to put it as my insurance choice and risk having to find outside accommodation in Birmingham of all places.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AartiSmarti)
    Do people get into aston university with three B's, and what's the foundation optometry course all about?
    Optometry is usually AAA but I don't know anything about the foundation course. People do get in with BBB, on courses like Chemistry, Sociology, Logistics and perhaps combined honours, although some combined honours courses now require 340 points.

University open days

1. Aston University
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.