Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin_love)
    You should do History at UEA! It's amazing! You do not need to go to the library every day or week or whatever, you just go when you have an essay due in. In your first year I will admit there are quite a few essays (6 in both your first and second semester and then 1 essay with 2 exams in the summer), but you can mostly choose what you write about and if you don't like the topics you can choose a different one, although you doing have to ask your seminar tutor first.

I don't spend longer than a few days doing research and writing my essays and my marks vary between 73 to 62, so you don't have to really do much work to come out with a good grade in your first year and then in your second and third years you're completely free to choose your own modules, so you'll defnintely be studying stuff you're interested in.

I'm assuming this is what History is like at other places as well, but I don't know.

If you really want to change do it, but it doesn't seem that your heart is in business tbh. You didn't exactly put your excitement for it across enthusiastically in your post!
    Aha, good analysis. At heart I think History is my thing as you say. I've visted UEA and it's nice, as is Leicester. And I guess your right, it's hard to tell how many hours that is though, glad someone's doing well (I assume those scores are good!) I just hope I can motivate myself.

Again, thanks for the replies everyone. I've found them very useful.

I think you're all right, I think it may be best to go ahead and see what I think. I do LOVE me some history, and I guess after the first year I can just tailor it to my needs, or if I don't enjoy it I can apply to change course. See how it goes.

Thanks to Lionboy and Oxymoronic, great advice

Just hard to decide, so much pressure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lionboy)
    dislike because of your massive bias ...most degrees will have a fairly flexible module list too...you actually sound as if you just copied the UEA history prospectus...
    I know that most degrees have a fairly flexible module list too, hence why I said: "I'm assuming this is what History is like at other places as well".

Also, I'm sorry if I love my uni and my course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam93)
    Aha, good analysis. At heart I think History is my thing as you say. I've visted UEA and it's nice, as is Leicester. And I guess your right, it's hard to tell how many hours that is though, glad someone's doing well (I assume those scores are good!) I just hope I can motivate myself.

Again, thanks for the replies everyone. I've found them very useful.

I think you're all right, I think it may be best to go ahead and see what I think. I do LOVE me some history, and I guess after the first year I can just tailor it to my needs, or if I don't enjoy it I can apply to change course. See how it goes.

Thanks to Lionboy and Oxymoronic, great advice

Just hard to decide, so much pressure!
    If you want to know contact times in the first semester I had 2 lectures and 1 seminar per a module (so 9 hours) and in the second semester I've had 2 lectures and 1 seminar for 2 of my modules and 3 lectures for the other one, so 9 hours again, but with 1 less seminar There isn't any work you need to do around lectures, just seminars and essays.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have your UEA offer :P:P what I'd do to study history at uni!

ReputationRep:
    People I wanted to ask something.

If you finish a year at uni for course X and then decided that course Y is more interesting, transfer and start from year one again. Will you get student finance support for the whole length of the course Y ?

(consider that course X is the same length as course Y , and transfer happens within the same university)

ReputationRep:
    Stick with history! You get to choose your modules so its nothing like A2. The massive essays arent that massive or frequent and most universities build you up slowly to it during the first year. Remember A2's suck the fun out of every subject. They will be one of the most difficult things you do. Uni will seem like a breeze afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted: ABB

I can reject offers as others have said, and the unis I currently have offers from are:

Leicester(AAB), Lancaster(AAB), UEA(ABB), Oxford Brookes(BBB), Kent(340 points)

But yeah, not going to lie, I'm worried about the risk too. :/ It's so hard..
    You should think of putting Lancaster as your firm. At Lancaster you have the option of doing modules in another subject in your first year and if you do well enough, you can move on to that course in the second year.

ReputationRep:
    Could you email the current uni's to ask if you can try and change course? Worth a try before doing extra because it's quite risky. I get the impression business students aren't in a lot from people I know doing it!

ReputationRep:
    I've not read everyones response but would just like to give you my view from personal experience.

I, like you, had 5 offers from fairly good Universities - Places like Manchester for example..

However, I wasn't too sure on the course OR the place (I liked both business related disciplines and Psychology..) and so I rejected all 5 offers and applied to Durham through extra for Psychology and got in..I did however end up rejecting this offer, taking a year out to fully understand what it was that I wanted to study.

I can honestly say that changing my mind and being a bit of a picky person has been extremely beneficial as I will be studying at LSE starting in September..

Do what you think is best..If you are happy with your choices in terms of campus/city - Attempt to change course..If not, EXTRA and if that fails - Take a year out. I understand that it may be a bit different for you now with rising tuition fees - but if this is not an issue - you will benefit greatly.

Chris

ReputationRep:
    (sorry if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure!)
    Hey, any advice would be awesome.

Basically I have 5 offers for history (v100) but lately I'm almost got cold feet over it. I'm not sure if I could take doing 3 years of history - even though I enjoy it as a hobby and general knowledge- I'm not sure I can spend 3 years in librarys reading and writing huge essays over it, like the fun taken out of it (as I am finding out at history A2).

So I may do UCAS extra for Business Studies (or management studies as some unis call it, I assume they're mostly the same?) and basically the questions I am wondering are:

Is business still a good degree to have? (assuming I aim to get 1 2.1/1st)
    Is it very work intensive? (I am prepared to work, I'm just curious on the number of hours etc they have to do)
    What would the chances of me getting an offer by this late stage be? If I say apply to Leicester

I find business quite interesting, but do I need to it at A level? I look at some business A level work and aside from terminology and can have a good go at it and find it reasonably interesting.

Thanks for reading, some advice would be awesome.
    I am also in a bit of dilemma like everyone else. What I decided is to start the course which I originally applied to and if I still have any doubts just reapply for the next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I recieved all 5 offers from Universities including York and Nottingham and University of Manchester, however decided it was the wrong course and declined them all against my parents will, and then i applyed through UCAS Extra to Cardiff and got accepted (but i had already emailed them and they said that they would be prepared to give me an offer) so i overall i think that ucas Extra is brilliant as long as you contact the university beforehand!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go into business you dont need a deree in it...these days university is shoved down our thoats (i'm going but i want to do medicine so i have to) and everyone feels pressured into going because "otherwise they wont have a good job"
    look at any entrepeneur or high end business person and i can pretty much guarantee they wont have a degree in business. things like that are all aboutworking your way up the success ladder and what counts is your experience and input. I know this through my dad who is a respeced business man and he doesnt even have any A-levels and has poor GCSEs.
    Do history dear A-levels are tedious and its easy to become disheartened by the stress but when you start uni it will be completely different and you'll find that your enthusiasm comes rushing back to you
    hope i've helped... i've tried to!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, XD Bad huh? :/ I don't know, I just don't think I could do it. I don't see the point going into a degree and then finding out I don't work 'cus I don't enjoy it and get a bad degree.
    Thats funny because i was going to do history than last minute changed to business studies, now i'm regretting it a bit, who knows? Depends, never done business in my life whereas history i really enjoyed it. Wanna switch places :lol:
    Anyway good luck History is a good degree though, my friend does it although theres a LOT of reading but i'm sure thats for every degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chasing_dreams)
    I thought you could only do ucas extra if you didn't get an offer?
    you can enter extra by turning down all your offers(personally i dont think its very easy to do that though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephie.u3)
    If you want to go into business you dont need a deree in it...these days university is shoved down our thoats (i'm going but i want to do medicine so i have to) and everyone feels pressured into going because "otherwise they wont have a good job"
    look at any entrepeneur or high end business person and i can pretty much guarantee they wont have a degree in business. things like that are all aboutworking your way up the success ladder and what counts is your experience and input. I know this through my dad who is a respeced business man and he doesnt even have any A-levels and has poor GCSEs.
    Do history dear A-levels are tedious and its easy to become disheartened by the stress but when you start uni it will be completely different and you'll find that your enthusiasm comes rushing back to you
    hope i've helped... i've tried to!!

Yeah I've always thought that before. I'm glad someone else thought so also.

History it shall be Thanks for all the advice/input. :-) I'm sure it will be much better in uni than A level.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've always thought that before. I'm glad someone else thought so also.

History it shall be Thanks for all the advice/input. :-) I'm sure it will be much better in uni than A level.
    so happy i could help glad you've made your decision...haha bet thats a relief for youu x

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.