Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilnikkita)
    Please bare in mind there are many reasons for people to be vegetarian, and quite a few of them make sense, unlike "we don't have the necessary enzyme that digests meat". Where did you hear that? It makes no sense biologically speaking from the mere point that we are omnivores. Also, there are 8-10 essential amino acids (amino acids build proteins). Some of the essential amino acids come from animals, so that reasoning is completely nonsensical. It makes me wonder if you really heard that somewhere of if you're pulling **** out of your ass. I don't mean to sound rude, but it's such a ridiculous statement.
    Actually, it makes perfect sense. Do some research and you'll see. For instance, vegetarians who have been so for a long enough period of time lose the ability to digest meat, as we stop producing the enzyme, which some people shows that we only produce it because we eat meat, not because we are supposed to eat meat. There's a wealth of research out there on the topic, showing how eating meat is bad for us because we can't digest it properly; how it is linked to osteoperosis, cancer, heart disease and strokes; how we are, apparently, actually herbivores not omnivores.

As for the amino-acids, etc. we can get those elsewhere. That all being said, the healthiest diet, sans supplements, is actually pescetarianism, so.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I find being vegetarian leads to a fair amount of disdain from a lot of people and even dislike without having heard my reasoning they presume I see meat eaters as morally inferior or that I love animals and must support green peace.
    So **** off with your generalisations please.

ReputationRep:
    I know one girl who's a vegetarian but eats fish and goes fox hunting.... boggles the mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I'm guessing this is to sum up people being vegetarian because they have a moral issue with the meat industry.
    Are you saying that the fact they have that issue is retarded, or being vegetarian is retarded? Or something else?
    And if they're eating fish they're not vegetarian.

Lastly, which study are you making reference to with regards to both your claims on the gender or sex of most vegetarians in that age range, and more than that their reasons for it?
    Im not citing any study, just a trend I myself have noticed. And im saying the moral reason is pretty dumb, as long as the animal is killed in a humane way I don't see what the problem is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    Try it and then, I don't see why you would deprive yourself of the joys of a bacon sandwich.
    I don't see why you would expose yourself to a bacon sandwich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    Im not citing any study, just a trend I myself have noticed. And im saying the moral reason is pretty dumb, as long as the animal is killed in a humane way I don't see what the problem is.
    Oh okay, so these are just random generalisations that you've come up with, so we have no rational reason to put any authority in?

As for the moral reason; what have you studied within philosophy?

Critical thinking?
    Philosophy of science?
    Moral philosophy?
    Environmental philosophy?
    Animals in philosophy?
    Political philosophy?
    Epistemology?
    (This list is obviously no-where near complete, I'm just giving a few examples of different areas in philosophy you may have studied).

ReputationRep:
    :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a simple male... Give me meat, give me woman

I am happy male

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I just don't miss meat, and don't even see it as a food group when I look at like, like I don't connect it with flavour and nourishment in my head as I would if I was looking at a potato/apple/bag of crisps

Haha. Crisps nourishing. Salmon not.

;p

(Original post by Linweth)
    I don't see why you would expose yourself to a bacon sandwich.

For the sexual thrill of it, man. The sexual thrill.

ReputationRep:
    i will never ever become a vegetarian because i love meat too much, never mind whether it's good or bad for you. I have tried quorn and it's an okay substitute but isn't really the same thing. However I look down on cruelty to farm animals so i'm boycotting KFC even though i love KFC so maybe that's why some people choose not to eat meat.

I have friends who are veggies (hope that's not offensive), one doesn't eat meat because we don't hunt for our food and the other is a pescatarian. I have noticed the latter friend is very skinny so maybe it's not good for her health. The thing is other mammals eat meat so why can't we? The biggest problem is the torture of animals which is why some veggies eat fish because even if fish are farmed they still have a better quality of life than land animals. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, so these are just random generalisations that you've come up with, so we have no rational reason to put any authority in?

As for the moral reason; what have you studied within philosophy?

Critical thinking?
    Philosophy of science?
    Moral philosophy?
    Environmental philosophy?
    Animals in philosophy?
    Political philosophy?
    Epistemology?
    (This list is obviously no-where near complete, I'm just giving a few examples of different areas in philosophy you may have studied).
    It was meant to be a basis for discussion, everything doesn't have to be backed by countless statistics. And I don't study philosophy, because im actually doing a useful degree (law).

ReputationRep:
    It was meant to be a basis for discussion, everything doesn't have to be backed by countless statistics. And I don't study philosophy, because im actually doing a useful degree (law).
    Well which books related to animals in philosophy, moral philosophy and animals in moral philosophy have you read?

ReputationRep:
    Well which books related to animals in philosophy, moral philosophy and animals in moral philosophy have you read?
    None, besides, you're missing the point. I don't claim to be an expert (if you can even be one..) in moral philosophy or any other form of philosophy. I just merely pointed out a trend I noticed based off my personal experiences. Not everyone has to be a scientist or a self proclaimed expert to have a passing opinion on a matter.

ReputationRep:
    None, besides, you're missing the point. I don't claim to be an expert (if you can even be one..) in moral philosophy or any other form of philosophy. I just merely pointed out a trend I noticed based off my personal experiences. Not everyone has to be a scientist or a self proclaimed expert to have a passing opinion on a matter.
    I was just trying to see how strong the claims you were making were.
    Your claims about a trend, that aren't backed up at all.
    Your claims about moral reasons being dumb, despite not having studied philosophy (I'm going to guess on anything at all) relating to morality, animals in philosophy or a cross over (although most of the literature is on animals within moral philosophy).

If you want to make an interesting discussion, I suggest you read the first and sixth chapters of animal liberation, you read something by Regan, you read some Bentham and then also some Leahy and Frey.
    Your thread is not worthy of being in D&D.

ReputationRep:
    I was just trying to see how strong the claims you were making were.
    Your claims about a trend, that aren't backed up at all.
    Your claims about moral reasons being dumb, despite not having studied philosophy (I'm going to guess on anything at all) relating to morality, animals in philosophy or a cross over (although most of the literature is on animals within moral philosophy).

If you want to make an interesting discussion, I suggest you read the first and sixth chapters of animal liberation, you read something by Regan, you read some Bentham and then also some Leahy and Frey.
    Your thread is not worthy of being in D&D.
    Are you a vegetarian by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    Are you a vegetarian by any chance?
    No, although I don't see what that has to d with any of the posts I've made.

ReputationRep:
    No, although I don't see what that has to d with any of the posts I've made.
    Just that you seem seriously butthurt about something. And I guess I could pull some stats off google, but the point of this thread was to see if anyone else noticed the same thing I have. Which hopefully would have led to a discussion but now you've killed it, well done.

ReputationRep:
    Just that you seem seriously butthurt about something.
    I find stupidity to be offensive.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if someone is a vegetarian really. One thing I hate is when they get all funny with you if you do eat meat and tell you that it's "wrong". I don't judge you for not wanting meat. Don't judge me for it. Simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    I hate vegetarians because they are different from me and they dont follow my beliefs. I think they should get out my country.
    I assume you're being sarcastic here, in which case well played, very well played.

I'm a vegetarian not because I think it's wrong, but because I don't like the taste. I eat sweets with gelatine in them because I like them.
    And fish smell when they get taken out of the sea. All there is to it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.