Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem at all with them. But never trust a Vegetarian who happens to be a Hippy. They are the most self obsessed ***** you'll ever meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    Slightly off topic, but out of curiosity do you eat 'fake meat' (quorn chicken etc ) ? I know a lot of 'new' vegetarians as such who seem to live on it, but I've noticed it seems to be not as common in us life longs....
    Meat's kind of a hard habit to get out of. When you don't grow up on a vegetarian diet you're used to having meat as a centre to the meal and everything else being something to add to the taste.
    There's not really many vegetables with a strong enough taste to do that though, there's some types of mushroom, but that's about it for the most part.
    They don't taste the same, but they work in that place well enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Monkey)
    Meat's kind of a hard habit to get out of. When you don't grow up on a vegetarian diet you're used to having meat as a centre to the meal and everything else being something to add to the taste.
    There's not really many vegetables with a strong enough taste to do that though, there's some types of mushroom, but that's about it for the most part.
    They don't taste the same, but they work in that place well enough.
    I disagree, it's all about trying to get the right blend of flavours, vegetable soups, and of course lovely spices in a vegetable curry make everything worthwhile. Peanut butter and jelly on toast is an excellent snack. Redwoods Lincolnshire style sausages don't taste like meat, but they are tasty. Adding celery to certain sauces. Salsa, past sauces. As long as you're adding herbs (not in copious amounts, unless that's your kind of thing) to things as well, you shouldn't have any issues with getting strong enough tastes.

Edit:
    Roasted vegetables are brilliant as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I disagree, it's all about trying to get the right blend of flavours, vegetable soups, and of course lovely spices in a vegetable curry make everything worthwhile. Peanut butter and jelly on toast is an excellent snack. Redwoods Lincolnshire style sausages don't taste like meat, but they are tasty. Adding celery to certain sauces. Salsa, past sauces. As long as you're adding herbs (not in copious amounts, unless that's your kind of thing) to things as well, you shouldn't have any issues with getting strong enough tastes.

Edit:
    Roasted vegetables are brilliant as well.
    I'm confused, you're disagreeing with there being few vegetables that have a strong enough taste to be the focus of a dish, by saying about blending things together?

ReputationRep:
    Slightly off topic, but out of curiosity do you eat 'fake meat' (quorn chicken etc ) ? I know a lot of 'new' vegetarians as such who seem to live on it, but I've noticed it seems to be not as common in us life longs....
    This fits my experience. If you like bacon enough to want to eat some vastly inferior substitute, then just eat bacon!
    Pulses have plenty protein to replace meat.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian and have been for 6 years and I actually agree with you in some ways. What rattles me more is people saying they are vegetarians but still eating fish and chicken. The correct term for that is pescatarian.However I don't think that "killing animals is wrong" is a retarded reason since that is one of the main reasons for any vegetarian.

At the end of the day we do what we have to do to survive. My boyfriend hates veg and eats loads of meat (Even grim stuff like kebab pizza URGH!) but that's how he lives. On the other hand I can live without and don't need meat.

I don't think girls are the main offender though. I know a lot of male vegans 'doing it for the trend' when really, they pick so much at other peoples eating habits they just make themselves out to be idiots. Forcing your own beliefs on others is awful. If you want to vegetarian, do for the right reasons and your own reasons!

ReputationRep:
    I noticed in Come Dine with Me last the night the vegetarian eating Guinness pie. He even asked "So there's Guinness in this"? and carried on eating.
    Not very vegetarian of him.

I only mention this because the OP said something about Come Dine with Me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    Im not citing any study, just a trend I myself have noticed. And im saying the moral reason is pretty dumb, as long as the animal is killed in a humane way I don't see what the problem is.
    How can any killing be humane when the animal being killed is neither seriously ill nor badly injured?

Anyone kidding themselves by saying the animals are killed humanly "is pretty dumb".

(Original post by anomynous)
    i will never ever become a vegetarian because i love meat too much, never mind whether it's good or bad for you. I have tried quorn and it's an okay substitute but isn't really the same thing. However I look down on cruelty to farm animals so i'm boycotting KFC even though i love KFC so maybe that's why some people choose not to eat meat.
    So, you're against animal cruelty, but happily advocate the wholesale slaughter of thousands of animals daily?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluewater69)
    I don't have a problem at all with them. But never trust a Vegetarian who happens to be a Hippy. They are the most self obsessed ***** you'll ever meet.
    What exactly is your definition of a "hippy"? Before you jump to conclusions and assume everyone is exactly the same in their mentality and demeanor, perhaps you should make an effort to have a better understanding of various subcultures. The hippies that first emerged from the movement back in the 1960's are very different from the ones today. Labels in it of themselves are misleading. Generally speaking, there are people who impose their beliefs on others and spread false information on why eating meat is bad, that doesn't apply to everyone who chooses to have that kind of diet.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, everytime someone shows me meat or asks if I'd like to try it, I just can't bring myself to try it.

I LOVE Quorn chicken! My whole stance on "fake meat" is that it helps for those of us who used to be avid meat eaters and are now vegetarians. I have been a vegetarian for a little over three years now, but I still crave meat from time to time. Given my current living situation, I'm also surrounded by it a lot, so I feel tempted often. The other thing about this specific company is that they don't put a bunch of crap into the product, just a few vegetables. Morning Star, on the other hand, who knows what is in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Actually, it makes perfect sense. Do some research and you'll see. For instance, vegetarians who have been so for a long enough period of time lose the ability to digest meat, as we stop producing the enzyme, which some people shows that we only produce it because we eat meat, not because we are supposed to eat meat. There's a wealth of research out there on the topic, showing how eating meat is bad for us because we can't digest it properly; how it is linked to osteoperosis, cancer, heart disease and strokes; how we are, apparently, actually herbivores not omnivores.

As for the amino-acids, etc. we can get those elsewhere. That all being said, the healthiest diet, sans supplements, is actually pescetarianism, so.
    I'm also fairly certain that if you eat enough apples, you'll get cancer. Of course if a person has no meat all their life, they probably wouldn't be able to digest it. I have had meat a few times since I turned vegetarian, and I was fine. This kind of thing varies on a individual basis. Overall, there is absolutely no question that we're omnivores and meant to have both animals and plants in our diet. Simply look at you're teeth, why do we have canines? Just because there is some bull**** research out there, doesn't mean it's true. You can't believe everything you read, you have to trust the source as well. Where else can we get amino acids aside from animals, plants, and taking them directly as a supplement? Where else are you going to get the essential amino acids only found in animals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    Saw an episode of Come dine with me earlier and it got me thinking; anyone else notice the majority of "vegetarians" our age (17-23) are usually females just merely trying to be hip/cool/different? With completely retarded reasons for being vegetarian, such as "we don't have a necessary enzyme that digests meat" and "killing animals is wrong", all the while wearing leather and more often that not eating fish "because they're not as smart".
    Well, what does it matter to you??????????????? Who are you to decide if their reasons are kosher or not. Some eat animal, some don't. Some who don't are hipsters, some aren't.

ReputationRep:
    You can be a vegetarian at any age.

My mum is 39 and she's always wanted to be one but when she was younger she was never allowed to because her mother and father had traditional, old fashioned attitudes towards the issue of vegetarianism.

A few years ago she went on a diet and I think that helped her to recognise the food she enjoyed eating and found that she didn't miss eating meat. My mum being a lover of animals and the environment and being against the way they're treated in farms etc... found it easy to become a vegetarian.

Most people are vegetarians because of things like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilnikkita)
    I'm also fairly certain that if you eat enough apples, you'll get cancer. Of course if a person has no meat all their life, they probably wouldn't be able to digest it. I have had meat a few times since I turned vegetarian, and I was fine. This kind of thing varies on a individual basis. Overall, there is absolutely no question that we're omnivores and meant to have both animals and plants in our diet. Simply look at you're teeth, why do we have canines? Just because there is some bull**** research out there, doesn't mean it's true. You can't believe everything you read, you have to trust the source as well. Where else can we get amino acids aside from animals, plants, and taking them directly as a supplement? Where else are you going to get the essential amino acids only found in animals?
    Last time I checked, there wasn't a wealth of research showing direct links between apples and cancer. As you also seem to have ignored, I pointed out that humans stop producing the enzyme if they don't eat meat for a long period of time, that does not mean their entire life. It's usually a few years of no meat in your diet at all. Have you been vegetarian for that long? Were you vegetarian for a long time before you had meat again? It does not vary on individual basis, the time it takes for the production to stop might, but it will invariably stop.

Why isn't it a question? I've seen plenty of people, scientists, vegetarians and random weirdos, say that we are actually herbivores, so clearly it is a question. As someone pointed out in a lecture, our teeth mean nothing, as plenty of herbivores have canines and sharp teeth.

As for essential amino acids, a short hop to google shows that you can get all the essential amino acids in non-animal products, without supplements: http://www.tandurust.com/diet/essent...cids-list.html for instance.

People who dislike what research tells them often attempt to hide behind it by attacking the source. Of course we must always question the source, but you should question the source of your preconceptions as well and not dismiss research out of hand just because you dislike what it tells you or it goes against something you've been brought up on.

ReputationRep:
    So, you're against animal cruelty, but happily advocate the wholesale slaughter of thousands of animals daily?
    Are you seriously saying that you can't care about animal welfare if you eat meat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    Are you seriously saying that you can't care about animal welfare if you eat meat?
    I'm saying it's hypocritical to claim you're against animal cruelty but support an industry based solely on killing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frequent_flyer)
    I assume you're being sarcastic here, in which case well played, very well played.

I'm a vegetarian not because I think it's wrong, but because I don't like the taste. I eat sweets with gelatine in them because I like them.
    And fish smell when they get taken out of the sea. All there is to it
    You're not a vegetarian if you consume gelatine. It seems a bit hypocritical to pick and choose what you eat because you like/dislike them and call yourself a vegetarian when you're consuming something that is not vegetarian-friendly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying it's hypocritical to claim you're against animal cruelty but support an industry based solely on killing them.
    It isn't hypocritical in the slightest. I don't define killing an animal for meat 'cruel', when they're killed in a split second with no pain/awareness of what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    If anything, being a vegetarian is far from cool - have you seen how much **** vegetarians get for choosing not to eat meat?

I'm not trying to be anything; I just don't want to eat meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    It isn't hypocritical in the slightest. I don't define killing an animal for meat 'cruel', when they're killed in a split second with no pain/awareness of what's going on.
    Murder is murder, it's cruel, regardless of how you try to dress it up, especially as meat is not essential to our diet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.