Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProFail)
    Because getting enough protein when growing is really difficult. I stopped being veggie after 3 years because it was becoming too hard, and I didn't want to become tiny due to not eating enough protein. So I started eating meat again, intending to give up again probably after uni.
    Sorry, I'm finding this whole protein thing a little hard to digest. How many grams of protein are you trying to eat a day?
    How much exercise do you do on a weekly basis?
    How much do you weight in KG?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    I have a question for you, seeing as you're for us being meat eaters. If we are omnivores, why do we need to cook meat for it to be vaguely edible? Humans cannot eat raw meat, unlike both carnivores and omnivores, and it leads to digestion issues, food poisoning, illness, diarrhoea, vomitting, etc if digested raw.
    We can eat meat/fish raw to an extent. Ever heard of steak tartar? Sushi? True carnivores have high levels of enzymes/acids which effectively kill off all nasty bacteria which is sometimes found on raw meat, humans learned that they were less likely to fall ill if they cooked their meat first. There are some people who will eat raw meat - inuits will often eat raw flesh/organs of animals they've hunted. I highly suspect that because most people are so used to eating cooked meat, suddenly switching to raw won't do us any good. But yes, we can eat raw meat, but it's hard to know which meat is free from harmful bacteria and which isn't.

ReputationRep:
    vegetarianism is ridiculous, meat is good, end of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    We can eat meat/fish raw to an extent. Ever heard of steak tartar? Sushi? True carnivores have high levels of enzymes/acids which effectively kill off all nasty bacteria which is sometimes found on raw meat, humans learned that they were less likely to fall ill if they cooked their meat first. There are some people who will eat raw meat - inuits will often eat raw flesh/organs of animals they've hunted. I highly suspect that because most people are so used to eating cooked meat, suddenly switching to raw won't do us any good. But yes, we can eat raw meat, but it's hard to know which meat is free from harmful bacteria and which isn't.
    Apart from chicken and pork, no?
    I thought that's why pigs were considered to be 'dirty'/'unholy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alison1992)
    vegetarianism is ridiculous, meat is good, end of
    <Insert equally senseless comeback that bares no meaning beyound that of someone with an inability to think things through or articulate themselves in a helpful manner, end it with 'end of' and leave out the full stop to be cool!>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Sorry, I'm finding this whole protein thing a little hard to digest. How many grams of protein are you trying to eat a day?
    How much exercise do you do on a weekly basis?
    How much do you weight in KG?
    I hope that hard to digest wasn't a pun.

I wasn't underweight and certainly never measured how much protein I was eating - Just stopped being veggie because I was worried about the possibility of something bad happening. My enthusiasm for it was definitely also waning after eating veggie foods for 3 years...

ReputationRep:
    I hope that hard to digest wasn't a pun.

I wasn't underweight and certainly never measured how much protein I was eating - Just stopped being veggie because I was worried about the possibility of something bad happening. My enthusiasm for it was definitely also waning after eating veggie foods for 3 years...
    So it wasn't based on rational well researched reasons? But you not looking into things properly?

ReputationRep:
    So it wasn't based on rational well researched reasons? But you not looking into things properly?
    Correct - my life and my decisions. Don't try and criticise my actions because I honestly could not care less what you think. At least I spent 3 years of my life not eating any meat and saving a lot of animals - far more than the majority of the posters in this topic have done.

ReputationRep:
    Correct - my life and my decisions. Don't try and criticise my actions because I honestly could not care less what you think. At least I spent 3 years of my life not eating any meat and saving a lot of animals - far more than the majority of the posters in this topic have done.
    Oh okay, silly me, I thought that we were able to judge other peoples lives. Hang on a minute, I need to go and find Hitler, I've got a lot of apologising to do!

Moreover, if we're looking at it from the view point of saving animals, how many animals did you exploit through the milk and egg industry?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, silly me, I thought that we were able to judge other peoples lives. Hang on a minute, I need to go and find Hitler, I've got a lot of apologising to do!

Moreover, if we're looking at it from the view point of saving animals, how many animals did you exploit through the milk and egg industry?
    A lot, and do you think I'm proud of that? Because I'm not. The point is I have made much more of an effort than than most have or ever will, no one is perfect and on our own no one can change anything completely.

Can I also ask why you're getting so aggressive about this, why not go and politely persuade someone against cruelty to animals that we see every day, than lambasting someone who does love and care for animals very much already? Because attacking me with such aggression and comparing me to Hitler isn't going to sway anyone to your cause, believe me.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from chicken and pork, no?
    I thought that's why pigs were considered to be 'dirty'/'unholy'.
    My Gran came from a veggie family. She used to buy bacon on the way home from school and eat it.

Raw bacon.
    *shrugs* didn't make her ill. Maybe she was just lucky though.

Anyway.. Do remember that humans have been cooking food for an incredibly long time. Enough to drastically affect our species. So it may well be that we are less suited to raw meat than other animals now. In the same way that we have small teeth so can't be grinding tough veg all day.

ReputationRep:
    A lot, and do you think I'm proud of that? Because I'm not. The point is I have made much more of an effort than than most have or ever will, no one is perfect and on our own no one can change anything completely.

Can I also ask why you're getting so aggressive about this, why not go and politely persuade someone against cruelty to animals that we see every day, than lambasting someone who does love and care for animals very much already? Because attacking me with such aggression and comparing me to Hitler isn't going to sway anyone to your cause, believe me.
    If I'm being aggressive at all it's only a reaction to your over defensiveness from a few posts ago. Your premise for not being a vegetarian is that you need to get enough protein to grow, and you won't be able to do that on a vegetarian diet. But then it turned out that you haven't even researched it. You're view on that appears to be ill thought through, and yet you tell people this is why you're no longer a vegetarian? All that's going to do is help spread misinformation.

Then you say your reason for being vegetarians was about the animals? But being vegetarian doesn't do anything apart from change which animals you're exploiting. So your reason for turning vegetarian seems to have been utterly misplaced, and again not something I'd be so keen to tell everyone about.

And the relevant similarities between you and Hitler are obviously extraordinarily limited, in the same way mine to him are. You're acting as if I said you'd started a political party, have risen to power and used that power to gather up a set of people in order to kill them because of beliefs about them being (for lack of a better word) 'evil'. But if you wish to project such harsh things onto yourself (and that above part is an example, it might be a projection of something else as equally stupid) then you go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    My Gran came from a veggie family. She used to buy bacon on the way home from school and eat it.

Raw bacon.
    *shrugs* didn't make her ill. Maybe she was just lucky though.

Anyway.. Do remember that humans have been cooking food for an incredibly long time. Enough to drastically affect our species. So it may well be that we are less suited to raw meat than other animals now. In the same way that we have small teeth so can't be grinding tough veg all day.
    Evolution is a slow process.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm being aggressive at all it's only a reaction to your over defensiveness from a few posts ago. Your premise for not being a vegetarian is that you need to get enough protein to grow, and you won't be able to do that on a vegetarian diet. But then it turned out that you haven't even researched it. You're view on that appears to be ill thought through, and yet you tell people this is why you're no longer a vegetarian? All that's going to do is help spread misinformation.

Then you say your reason for being vegetarians was about the animals? But being vegetarian doesn't do anything apart from change which animals you're exploiting. So your reason for turning vegetarian seems to have been utterly misplaced, and again not something I'd be so keen to tell everyone about.

And the relevant similarities between you and Hitler are obviously extraordinarily limited, in the same way mine to him are. You're acting as if I said you'd started a political party, have risen to power and used that power to gather up a set of people in order to kill them because of beliefs about them being (for lack of a better word) 'evil'. But if you wish to project such harsh things onto yourself (and that above part is an example, it might be a projection of something else as equally stupid) then you go for it!
    Well unless you're 100% vegan and don't take any drugs whatsoever, don't do anything at all that has any impact on animals whatsoever then you too are exploiting animals, all I was trying to do was minimise my impact, not trying to claim I'm perfect here.

What would you have me do then? Eat no meat, any animal product, any medicines that contain or have been tested on animals, and a whole host of other things? Everything we do exploits animals to a certain extent, don't try and twist it as though it's solely my fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Invidious-)
    Saw an episode of Come dine with me earlier and it got me thinking; anyone else notice the majority of "vegetarians" our age (17-23) are usually females just merely trying to be hip/cool/different? With completely retarded reasons for being vegetarian, such as "we don't have a necessary enzyme that digests meat" and "killing animals is wrong", all the while wearing leather and more often that not eating fish "because they're not as smart".
    Yes. All the time.

'Oh yeah, I don't eat meat. Like oh my god. What? well yeah, fish. And ok ok ok ok, Chicken'. Honestly, loads of them just dont like red meat. They should either admit that, or their parents should have been a little less accommodating. One of my good friends now has anemia. :rolleyes:

_Kar.

ReputationRep:

I agree . I think if someone wants to help animals through their actions in their daily lives, perfection is very very hard to achieve as animal products are used in so many ways, some of them very far from obvious. Personally, I don't eat meat but I do eat fish. I'm not proud of eating fish as I believe they probably suffer when caught and are killed but I hope that in a very small way I'm helping those animals which aren't that much different than human beings in intelligence and emotional sensitivity.
    If I had to choose between starving to death and eating meat I suppose I'd have to eat the meat to survive, but I don't have to make that choice just yet and probably will never have to .
    Also it's much more efficient to feed grain directly to humans rather than feed it to animals to produce meat that will feed a tenth of the people the original grain would have fed.
    With growing populations in India and China together with a desire for richer diets, the world is going to be very short of grain - in fact there are shortages right now and prices are rising.
    Call me a hypocrite for eating fish if you like, but at least I'm doing part of what I believe in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzicon)
    I agree . I think if someone wants to help animals through their actions in their daily lives, perfection is very very hard to achieve as animal products are used in so many ways, some of them very far from obvious. Personally, I don't eat meat but I do eat fish. I'm not proud of eating fish as I believe they probably suffer when caught and are killed but I hope that in a very small way I'm helping those animals which aren't that much different than human beings in intelligence and emotional sensitivity.
    If I had to choose between starving to death and eating meat I suppose I'd have to eat the meat to survive, but I don't have to make that choice just yet and probably will never have to .
    Also it's much more efficient to feed grain directly to humans rather than feed it to animals to produce meat that will feed a tenth of the people the original grain would have fed.
    With growing populations in India and China together with a desire for richer diets, the world is going to be very short of grain - in fact there are shortages right now and prices are rising.
    Call me a hypocrite for eating fish if you like, but at least I'm doing part of what I believe in.
    I couldn't agree more, that is exactly my point, and is exactly what There's Too Much Love seems to be hating on me for...

ReputationRep:
    Well unless you're 100% vegan and don't take any drugs whatsoever, don't do anything at all that has any impact on animals whatsoever then you too are exploiting animals, all I was trying to do was minimise my impact, not trying to claim I'm perfect here.

What would you have me do then? Eat no meat, any animal product, any medicines that contain or have been tested on animals, and a whole host of other things? Everything we do exploits animals to a certain extent, don't try and twist it as though it's solely my fault.

Massive straw man argument.

I'm not saying I'm perfect. But you harp on about how you've made an effort, and your effort is so misplaced that it shows no sign of having helped any animal, even as part of a movement of people.

Then you say how you've made all this effort, but you what, couldn't be bothered to put the effort in to do at most, 30 minutes of research on a very easy to understand topic?

Finally you try and act as if I'm saying it's all your fault. I'm happy to admit I think Hitler probably carries the largest "%" of responsibility with regards to the holocaust. I outlined that there are very limited relevant similarities between you and he. The logic however in that instance is the same. There are obvious differences such as that that I pointed out. Stop projecting your own insecurities and short comings onto my arguments.

Christ all mighty, only on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Evolution is a slow process.
    And we've been cooking our food for a very long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzicon)
    Seems a bit unnecessarily hard on the fish. There are massive differences in our society between avoiding medicine, and avoiding animal products. The ease of doing the latter is so incredible whilst avoiding medicine can of course, easily lead to a cessation of life (also known as, death).
    Moreover they are often very different things. For example, by avoiding medicine you can pass on something if it's contagious, and if you do that over all, it's very likely a lot more medicine will be used by those people.

My point wasn't that I'm perfect, I'm far from it and I see where the vast majority of my short comings are, but instead that that user should stop seeing their old and to be frank, ineffective changes as these glorious rays of exceptional morality (which is what they were implying) when they couldn't even be arsed to do the smallest levels of research on the topics.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.