Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What is the likelihood of getting and offer to medical school when reapplying, is there a much higher chance of getting an offer second time round than first time round. Obviously if you make no improvement to your application then there will be no improvement to your chances, but will taking a gap year and improving your application (with more work experience, better ps, and already achieved grades) significantly improve your chances second time around so much that you can be very confident of at least interviews and maybe even an offer?

ReputationRep:
    I think there is some advantage having already got your grades when re-applying compared to those only with predicted grades. It means you can concentrate on your Work Exp, UKCAT and Personal Statement etc etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arunadindane)
    What is the likelihood of getting and offer to medical school when reapplying, is there a much higher chance of getting an offer second time round than first time round. Obviously if you make no improvement to your application then there will be no improvement to your chances, but will taking a gap year and improving your application (with more work experience, better ps, and already achieved grades) significantly improve your chances second time around so much that you can be very confident of at least interviews and maybe even an offer?
    You really can't give a general answer to such a specific question, it really is different for every application way too many factors involved.

However I do know of one case where someone who got rejected from Keele took a gap year and worked in a local hospital in the labs (possibly dealing with blood samples can't remember) for almost the whole year, reapplied and got in.

ReputationRep:
    is there a much higher chance of getting an offer second time round than first time round. Obviously if you make no improvement to your application then there will be no improvement to your chances, but will taking a gap year and improving your application (with more work experience, better ps, and already achieved grades) significantly improve your chances second time around so much that you can be very confident of at least interviews and maybe even an offer?
    This question-thread is so loaded...so no.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    There's no guarantees in medicine, but odds are if you acknowledge where you went wrong first time and fix those holes alongside applying to appropriate universities there's every chance of an interview. After that, it's all down to your interview performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)
    I think there is some advantage having already got your grades when re-applying compared to those only with predicted grades. It means you can concentrate on your Work Exp, UKCAT and Personal Statement etc etc..
    I see you got into southampton, im thinking of maybe applying there, would you say your ps was particularly unique in comparison to the standard as I hear southampton have quite an emphasis on the ps considering they dont interview.

ReputationRep:
    I see you got into southampton, im thinking of maybe applying there, would you say your ps was particularly unique in comparison to the standard as I hear southampton have quite an emphasis on the ps considering they dont interview.
    My Grades were not great! I got ABBC at AS (before resitting 2 modules to make it AAAC). My GCSE's were by no means brilliant, but I put a great deal of work into reflecting on my work experience as I wrote my personal statement..

..I think I probably got in to Soton on my PS, I feel very lucky!
    Check my applicant profile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)
    My Grades were not great! I got ABBC at AS (before resitting 2 modules to make it AAAC). My GCSE's were by no means brilliant, but I put a great deal of work into reflecting on my work experience as I wrote my personal statement..

..I think I probably got in to Soton on my PS, I feel very lucky!
    Check my applicant profile.
    You have the same gcses as me, theyre not that bad are they?

ReputationRep:
    chances are low, but you are not going to lose anything by trying(except time of course) so try it.

all the best

ReputationRep:
    You have the same gcses as me, theyre not that bad are they?
    They aren't bad, but compared to many peoples they are very average at best! There are many people that will apply with better.

GCSE's are not considered as important by some Uni's as others, my AS's were not great though either, I applied with ABBC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medtobe)
    chances are low, but you are not going to lose anything by trying(except time of course) so try it.

all the best
    Low in what way? As in lower than the first application or low because of my GCSE's?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.