Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls, do you use tampons or sanitary towels? watch

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Lol, yeah I was scared too at first. Just keep trying and make sure you read the instructions properly!
    Haha, I do! Also, i'm pretty sure i will eventually use them, so I may as well do it sooner rather than later...

ReputationRep:
    Sanitary towels are dirty - well, the idea if you leave them on for like a few hours.

Tampons are the more, cleaner option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    Exactly this. I don't know why you've been negged for this
    Because if you can still feel it you haven't put it in far enough, you just need to try again.

ReputationRep:
    Tampons. I started with pads as my mum does (I was too embarrassed to tell her I started so I just raided her cupboard for a few months ) but I've used tampons for years.

ReputationRep:
    Towels. The thought of tampons creeps me out slightly.

It's supposed to come out of your body; the thought of everything up there... congealing... is pretty disgusting.

(Original post by NellGwynne)
    Sanitary towels are dirty.

Sorry.
    Blood isn't dirty.. but I do find sitting around in it for a few hours is not very nice :/.

ReputationRep:
    I used tampons for the first time this week, and it feels sooo much better not having a pad in. I've not quite mastered the art of putting them in, I can sort of feel it in there still, although the feeling goes away after a bit. Will be using them more often though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by other one)
    the more you tense up the worse the pain is. have to relax and then it all goes smoothly.
    I suppose that might help .. I was only about fifteen when I tried I think - and my mum pretty much refused to buy me them anyway so it never really bothered me. She'll happily buy me pads, but not tampons - and I can't afford them on my income either.

I have a speculum exam thing coming up in a few weeks though and am absolutely dreading it due to everything else being so painful!

ReputationRep:
    Blood isn't dirty.. but I do find sitting around in it for a few hours is not very nice :/.
    Yeah, that's what I mean. Even the thought of it... ew.

Tampons = (y)

ReputationRep:
    Towels.
    Because I tried tampons once and I fainted. No, I have no idea why either.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious !
    Personally, I find tampons so much easier. But a few people I know won't/don't use them - if this is you, why not??
    I use sanitary towels. I've tried using tampons but I find them hard to put, I've only managed to put it in once.

ReputationRep:
    Mooncup FTW xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Towels. The thought of tampons creeps me out slightly.

It's supposed to come out of your body; the thought of everything up there... congealing... is pretty disgusting.
    It doesn't congeal. It's absorbed by the tampon, and when you remove it there's nothing left. Where-as with towels it's not absorbed until it's dripped all the way out, and can leave a bit of a mess.
    Plus you sit on it for ages... Eww. lol

ReputationRep:
    Tampons in the day and towels at night. If it's really light then I'll just wear a small pad otherwise tampons are uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that got confused as to what sanitary towels mean? Why not just call them pads.

I bet the OP is a boy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Mooncup FTW xx
    This. Though had an embarrassing leak the other day due to rolling around too much. Whoops. Boyfriend found it most amusing. :rolleyes:

Would never go back to tampons or pads.

ReputationRep:
    I always use tampons...i find towels quite uncomfortable and annoying :confused:
    some friends have just started to use the mooncup and they are pretty happy with their choice

(Original post by Superstar6318)
    Am I the only one that got confused as to what sanitary towels mean? Why not just call them pads.

I bet the OP is a boy
    Ermm no actually, I'm a girl. Sanitary towels just sounds a bit politer, and less icky, IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Tampons. I hate towels, they make me feel like I'm wearing a nappy :yucky:
    This is why I want to try using tampons or a mooncup. I've tried tampons but I find them hard to put in (but will try when I next have a period) and I've yet to try a mooncup (though I don't like the idea of reusing it.)

I find the idea of walking around going about my business with something... lodged up there disturbing in a way I can't explain.

Also, this is probably dumb, but I'm not sure what to do with them once they're out. I know you can't flush them down the toilet, so presumably wrap it up in tissue and take it to a bin? But I imagine it would take a fair bit of tissue to stop it soaking through... and I wouldn't want to put that **** in my pocket on the way back to my room from the loo, ewwww. See with pads I just put it in the plastic wrapper of the next one and it's all sealed and safely contained.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.